Dad's Army: Why you might learn something from oldtelly

KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
Forum Member
Watching this on the PVR.

During the telling of the story, Godfrey reveals that in the previous war, he was a conscientious objector who refused to fight.

Mainwaring, appalled and disgusted, orders Godfrey to get out of his sight; whilst Wilson is tolerant and understanding of Godfrey's need to follow his conscience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branded_%28Dad%27s_Army%29

It's like reading classic literature. Deep, deep sh1t.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Watching this on the PVR.

During the telling of the story, Godfrey reveals that in the previous war, he was a conscientious objector who refused to fight.

Mainwaring, appalled and disgusted, orders Godfrey to get out of his sight; whilst Wilson is tolerant and understanding of Godfrey's need to follow his conscience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branded_%28Dad%27s_Army%29

It's like reading classic literature. Deep, deep sh1t.

Yes it was good seeing their faces when his sister tells them about how he joined the ambulance service and helped save injured service men.

One of the best episodes they made.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a very good episode.

I think the characters in that show were probably an accurate reflection of the type of people who were around in those days. Mainwaring is brilliant as the classic stiff upper lip Englishman.

Rightly feted as one of the best TV series' ever made.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    That is a very good episode.

I think the characters in that show were probably an accurate reflection of the type of people who were around in those days. Mainwaring is brilliant as the classic stiff upper lip Englishman.

Rightly feted as one of the best TV series' ever made.

I agree and it hasn't dated, it could have been made yesterday.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    "It seems rather ostentatious" - Jonesy covers up his chest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the relationship between Mainwaring and Wilson - two men who hold their rank in the HG purely because of their status in society.

I recall an episode where the men were training for something - it involved moving some logs around - and Mainwaring had taken his position on a small mound to observe with hands behind back, chest out etc. Wilson was standing at ground level just beside the mound.

As expected the men were making a bit of a hash of things and going very slowly. Mainwaring ordered Wilson to make them hurry along. Wilson looked perturbed at having to do so but did it anyway - in his usual soft and pathetic fashion - something like, "Would you all mind hurrying along now - there's good chaps."

Mainwaring said nothing but gave such a disdainful look toward him. That look summed up exactly what Mainwaring thinks of Wilson's capability as a sergeant - but he MUST keep the rank because he's an Assistant Manager at the bank.

Brilliant.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Wilson though, despite being upper class vs Mainwaring's aspiring middle class, is the voice of reason and tolerance.

I'm no fan of privilege, but maybe Dad's Army is saying that education is about more than just doing your job?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Wilson though, despite being upper class vs Mainwaring's aspiring middle class, is the voice of reason and tolerance.

I'm no fan of privilege, but maybe Dad's Army is saying that education is about more than just doing your job?

Of course. Mainwaring is shown to lack intelligence over and again throughout the series'. It's one of the main reasons why everything usually ends in such a calamity.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great actors, great writers. People who cared about what they did.

PS ...... Private Godfrey was Arthur RIdley. His play The Ghost Train is on again this weekend (sat & next sun) .......... set your pvr, then curl up with a cup of coco for this spooky classic !

(it's radio, but "the best pictures are on radio"!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jyx0#broadcasts

http://www.thechestnut.com/ghost-train.htm
  • robdxrobdx Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Just bought the entire series box set from one of those CEX exchange shops £25 Bargain, only cost me £2 in real money as i exchanged 3 wii games I no longer play. they just dont make comedy like that anymore. Give me Dads Army, Open all Hours, On the Buses, Alf Garnet, Allo Allo, Hi-de-Hi, or the first 10 series of Last of the summer wine anyday over todays stuff.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Branded" is 1 of my favourite "Dad's Army" episodes.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the things that made Dad's Army so great was the unpredictability of the characters. Mainwaring was self-important, pompous, snobbish and blinkered (Branded is probably the character at his worst) - but we also see him showing kindness and bravery, and a genuine care for the men of his platoon.

I think one of the reasons the series hasn't dated when many other comedies of that era have is that it was already a period piece. By 1967-77, when the series was shown, the society it depicted had already largely disappeared.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the reasons the series hasn't dated when many other comedies of that era have is that it was already a period piece. By 1967-77, when the series was shown, the society it depicted had already largely disappeared.

I agree Dave 100%.

This is the reason why it has been able to gain fans since its first airing, as there isnt anything contempoary to date it.

As to this episode, it must be in my favourite 2 or 3 episodes of DA.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    "Branded" is 1 of my favourite "Dad's Army" episodes.

Script writer Jimmy Perry's favourite episode, apparently.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the relationship between Mainwaring and Wilson - two men who hold their rank in the HG purely because of their status in society.

Its very well written but based on status Wilson should be the captain. He was a captain in WW1, Mainwairing wasn't.

Mainwaring has obviously climed the social ladder since WW1 but the chip on his shoulder about him not getting the respect he feels he is due is never far from view. Wilson's lack of interest in status only makes him all the more resentful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One main lesson you learn is what quality sit coms are.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

I recall an episode where the men were training for something - it involved moving some logs around - and Mainwaring had taken his position on a small mound to observe with hands behind back, chest out etc. Wilson was standing at ground level just beside the mound.

As expected the men were making a bit of a hash of things and going very slowly. Mainwaring ordered Wilson to make them hurry along. Wilson looked perturbed at having to do so but did it anyway - in his usual soft and pathetic fashion - something like, "Would you all mind hurrying along now - there's good chaps."

Mainwaring said nothing but gave such a disdainful look toward him. That look summed up exactly what Mainwaring thinks of Wilson's capability as a sergeant - but he MUST keep the rank because he's an Assistant Manager at the bank.

Brilliant.

The thing is though Wilson was a Captain in the Great War but unfortunately we don't know whether he was a Captain Darling or a Captain Blackadder in the way they tried to live through it on a daily basis. Both Captains at the end did their duty though. It may be that Wilson is so polite and gentle because he could be making amends for the officer class of World War 1.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    It may be that Wilson is so polite and gentle because he could be making amends for the officer class of World War 1.

its more likely that he would rather be off enjoying life rather than enduring the tedium of mid rank administration :D
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a small boy I remember watching the local Home Guard having training sessions on a Sunday morning. They took it very seriously. My older brother was a member until he was called up. He had a tin filled with pieces of metal which he had to shake to imitate machine gun fire. Like all good comedy Dad's Army had an element of truth in its episodes.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brilliant episode - one of the two best ever (imo).......the other being when Mainwaring was inducted into the drinking club, and ended up completely pissed.
    "I drink to the health of Cardinal Puff ......"
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur Lowe was notorious for not taking his script home while John Le Mesurier had a photographic memory.David Croft recalls that after a complaint from Le Mesurier about Lowe not knowing his lines he sent two copies of each script to Lowe's home with a letter suggesting he would place one copy under his pillow ''in the hope that some of the words would filter through the feathers and penetrate to his sleeping mind.'' Lowe's only response was to say to Jimmy Perry ''David seems to be getting very crabby these days'' - Dad's Army,scripts of series 1-4, Jimmy Perry and David Croft, Orion Books
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are other ways in which Dad's Army and other programmes of that era excel over many modern productions, for example the ability to tell one story in chronological order, with sensible camera operation and editing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Great actors, great writers. People who cared about what they did.

PS ...... Private Godfrey was Arthur RIdley. His play The Ghost Train is on again this weekend (sat & next sun) .......... set your pvr, then curl up with a cup of coco for this spooky classic !

(it's radio, but "the best pictures are on radio"!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jyx0#broadcasts

http://www.thechestnut.com/ghost-train.htm

Thanks you very much, spiney2 for posting this. I've set it to record. :)

I grew up with Dad's Army and dig into the DVD box set every so often and still enjoy.

Quality writing and timeless presentation.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    A brilliant episode - one of the two best ever (imo).......the other being when Mainwaring was inducted into the drinking club, and ended up completely pissed.
    "I drink to the health of Cardinal Puff ......"

The one where Arthur was also playing Mainwaring's drunk twin brother was also very good.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the one where they capture the U Boat crew you can see Ian Lavender beginning to laugh just before Lowe utters the immortal line ''Don't tell him your name Pike''
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC thankfully are giving us fans the opportunity to watch these pretty flawless comedies again and again and are introducing todays kids to the sheer brilliance of Dads Army.
    One of my fondest childhood memories of the 70s was watching this great show.