Options

Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I think it fair to say they both have stolen ideas from each other that's how development works.

I've had NFC before and the One has it and haven't ever used it so obviously it not that useful until it becomes massive mine stream there is no reason it needs to be on any phone really it's just a handy thing is all.

Give examples? :rolleyes:

Apple steals but you can't see it.

Just because you haven't used NFC doesn't mean nobody else won't...
    Mythica wrote: »
    You can accept what you want. I don't disagree with you, what I'm telling you is correct. There really isn't any difference between the S3-S4 update to the 4S-5 update. It's not about your wants, we weren't talking about them. Apple and Samsung don't need to change much in their phones now as they know they will just sell anyway.

How is it the same? Again there's nothing to back your argument up.
    paulbrock wrote: »
    the press are taking their shots early today...

Guardian:
    "Five ways Apple has lost its bite"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/apr/23/five-ways-apple-lost-bite

(not by Charles Arthur, funnily enough ;) )

Most I'm familiar with, but I'd not really heard much about this one - is it a widespread issue?

I've heard of iCloud quite often going down.
    It had a faster processor, better camera, bigger screen, more pixels and software tweeks, just as The S4 to the S3 has, pretty simple really. Anyway, I'm getting a quad core S4 on Saturday, oh wait, the S3 was quad core to :rolleyes: don't roll your eyes at me when you haven't got all the facts. Even the Octa-core version is quad core so you don't even have a point.

You don't have a point. Sometimes I wonder if you're just stupid or if this is a wind up. I think it's the latter.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Give examples? :rolleyes:

Apple steals but you can't see it.

Just because you haven't used NFC doesn't mean nobody else won't...

How is it the same? Again there's nothing to back your argument up.

I've heard of iCloud quite often going down.

You don't have a point. Sometimes I wonder if you're just stupid or if this is a wind up. I think it's the latter.

How is it the same? The both got a screen update, they both got faster processors, they both got a better camera and they both had software tweeks.

Ok, let's rewind shall we?

You said "How is it the same improvement? Did the 4S have double the cores of it's predecessor?"

So you're trying to tell people the S4 has more cores than the S3, yes? Well both phones are quad cores and when I pull you up on this point, you simply say I'm stupid or winding you up? How about first of all, admitting you were wrong. Second of all an apology would be nice too. Saying I don't have a point when quite clearly I do, the point being you were wrong, that is fact and can be seen by what you have written.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it the same? The both got a screen update, they both got faster processors, they both got a better camera and they both had software tweeks.

You said "How is it the same improvement? Did the 4S have double the cores of it's predecessor?"

So you're trying to tell people the S4 has more cores than the S3, yes? Well both phones are quad cores and when I pull you up on this point, you simply say I'm stupid or winding you up? How about first of all, admitting you were wrong. Second of all an apology would be nice too. Saying I don't have a point when quite clearly I do, the point being you were wrong, that is fact and can be seen by what you have written.

You're not getting an apology. If anything you owe one to me for all the crap you've been posting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not getting an apology. If anything you owe one to me for all the crap you've been posting.

Hang on, you're the one posting wrong information, what planet are you living on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, you're the one posting wrong information, what planet are you living on?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Care to explain? You post wrong information and then roll your eyes at me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to explain? You post wrong information and then roll your eyes at me?

How is it wrong? The S4 is 8-core:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/octa-core-galaxy-s4-trounces-uks-quad-core-report-says-50010907/

It is available. Just not in the UK, US and a few other countries.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

Not quite the same really is it when you are not comparing like for like, the 4s to 5 was hardly industry leading stuff was it? small screen bump to some weird res not even to 720p when the industry is moving upwards in this department. Poor software updates such as the dire ios maps and touting of features such as panoramic pics already on many phones. It was poor in comparison to many phones already out there even those it was last to the market for that generation. This has been reflected in poor sales of the iphone 5 with stock piles of components left over with no demand. So from where the 4s went to the 5 was not the same as say the s2 to s3 to s4 because these phones are industry leading not following.

Depends what you class as quad core but octa does have eight regardless whether it is 4 main cpus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it wrong? The S4 is 8-core:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/octa-core-galaxy-s4-trounces-uks-quad-core-report-says-50010907/

It is available. Just not in the UK, US and a few other countries.

The S4 is a quad core in the UK and the USA, the USA isn't getting the Octa-core version, so you're wrong there.

And even the Octa-core is only really quad core. The Octa-core S4 can't have all 8 cores running, so it will only ever run on 4 cores, meaning it's a quad core phone. The extra power isn't because of the extra cores.

So yes, it was very wrong. And even if it wasn't wrong, when I get my S4 on Saturday, it's quad core just as the S3 is, so yes, it doesn't have double the amount of cores as you put.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not quite the same really is it when you are not comparing like for like, the 4s to 5 was hardly industry leading stuff was it? small screen bump to some weird res not even to 720p when the industry is moving upwards in this department. Poor software updates such as the dire ios maps and touting of features such as panoramic pics already on many phones. It was poor in comparison to many phones already out there even those it was last to the market for that generation. This has been reflected in poor sales of the iphone 5 with stock piles of components left over with no demand. So from where the 4s went to the 5 was not the same as say the s2 to s3 to s4 because these phones are industry leading not following.

Depends what you class as quad core but octa does have eight regardless whether it is 4 main cpus.

Yes it is the same, you can argue all you want, but it's the truth.

No it doesn't depend on what you class as quad core, the S4 Octa-core can only ever run 4 cores at once, so calling it an 8 core phone is just simply wrong. The 4 extra cores are not giving any better perforamce, they are for low powered tasks to save power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it is the same, you can argue all you want, but it's the truth.

No it doesn't depend on what you class as quad core, the S4 Octa-core can only ever run 4 cores at once, so calling it an 8 core phone is just simply wrong. The 4 extra cores are not giving any better perforamce, they are for low powered tasks to save power.

No if you want to be technical then you are wrong the cpu has 8 cores simple fact doesn't matter how they are arranged or used it has eight cores simple fact
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S4 is a quad core in the UK and the USA, the USA isn't getting the Octa-core version, so you're wrong there.

And even the Octa-core is only really quad core. The Octa-core S4 can't have all 8 cores running, so it will only ever run on 4 cores, meaning it's a quad core phone. The extra power isn't because of the extra cores.

So yes, it was very wrong. And even if it wasn't wrong, when I get my S4 on Saturday, it's quad core just as the S3 is, so yes, it doesn't have double the amount of cores as you put.

Your lack of knowledge is laughable.

It has 8 cores, no sane person can dispute that. Also, I said the US version wouldn't have 8 cores :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No if you want to be technical then you are wrong the cpu has 8 cores simple fact doesn't matter how they are arranged or used it has eight cores simple fact

No I'm not wrong. I know it has 8 cores, having 8 cores and using 8 cores is totally different. It will never use all 8 cores, so it is a quad core phone just as the S3 was. Regardless of that, this is a UK site, the UK isn't (yet anyway) getting the Octa-core version so when I get my brand new S4 on Saturday, it is going to be aquad core phone as is the S3, so no, the S4 doesn't have double the amount of cores as the S3, not the one I am getting anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not wrong. I know it has 8 cores, having 8 cores and using 8 cores is totally different. It will never use all 8 cores, so it is a quad core phone just as the S3 was. Regardless of that, this is a UK site, the UK isn't (yet anyway) getting the Octa-core version so when I get my brand new S4 on Saturday, it is going to be aquad core phone as is the S3, so no, the S4 doesn't have double the amount of cores as the S3, not the one I am getting anyway.

Evidence? You're talking utter crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No its not your take on it is irrelevant saying something is not 8 cores when it has 8 cores is wrong, the fact those two clusters of cores are not equal doesn't change the fact that is has eight cores. The s3 had four cores full stop so not the same as the s4 version with the Exynos 5 at all.

The version of the s4 you are getting is quad core yes but that doesn't change the facts of the original statement you said was false in relation to the Exynos 5 version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your lack of knowledge is laughable.

It has 8 cores, no sane person can dispute that. Also, I said the US version wouldn't have 8 cores :confused:

But it will never use all them 8 cores so will never run as an 8 core processor. I'm a sane person and I'm putting that argument across. It's pretty useless stating it's an 8 core phone when you are never getting any benefit of those 8 cores because the phone simply doesn't work as an 8 core phone, it works as a quad core phone, so no my lack of knowledge isn't laughable. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that the brand new S4 I'm getting on Saturday is a quad core phone, in which the point you made about it having double the amount of cores than the S3 wrong anyway. This is a UK site, you can't just put something as fact that the majoirty of UK people can't even get, it kind of makes your point invalid.

Yes, I'm sorry (see how easy it is to say sorry) I did mis-read that. The majority of the world as far as I'm aware ain't getting the Octa-core version and even when they do, it's not going to be 4G enabled, so it seems pretty pointless, this information is correct from time of typing this, I can't see into the future to see what they will release at a later stage.

All that's getting away from the fact that I think the 4s to 5 upgrade is the same as the S3 to S4 upgrade, you came along to say that the S4 has double the amount of cores, well at least one thing could be said for Apple, at least they don't have to release two seprate versions of their phone at launch, one with an inferior processor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence? You're talking utter crap.

What do you want evidence of?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you want evidence of?

That it will never use all 8 cores at once :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not your take on it is irrelevant saying something is not 8 cores when it has 8 cores is wrong, the fact those two clusters of cores are not equal doesn't change the fact that is has eight cores. The s3 had four cores full stop so not the same as the s4 version with the Exynos 5 at all.

The version of the s4 you are getting is quad core yes but that doesn't change the facts of the original statement you said was false in relation to the Exynos 5 version.

It isn't false though as if I had the Octa-core version, it would still only be running quad core.

I've said it is an 8 core phone, that's pretty simple. But the claim that it someone said "Did the 4S have double the cores of it's predecessor?" was made out to mean that some how, the S4 made use of all 8 cores of the phone which is better than the S3's quad core. That is wrong, the S4 will still only be using 4 cores, in essence, it's a 4 core phone.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/15/galaxy-s4-chipsets/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That it will never use all 8 cores at once :rolleyes:

Haha, and you call my knowledge laughable? Please do some research before trying to insult me.

Try here http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/15/galaxy-s4-chipsets/

Is that enough?

It is funny you have been arguing thinking the Octa-core version of the S4 will use all 8 cores at once while calling my knowledge laughable and saying I dont have a clue in what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it will never use all them 8 cores so will never run as an 8 core processor. I'm a sane person and I'm putting that argument across. It's pretty useless stating it's an 8 core phone when you are never getting any benefit of those 8 cores because the phone simply doesn't work as an 8 core phone, it works as a quad core phone, so no my lack of knowledge isn't laughable. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that the brand new S4 I'm getting on Saturday is a quad core phone, in which the point you made about it having double the amount of cores than the S3 wrong anyway. This is a UK site, you can't just put something as fact that the majoirty of UK people can't even get, it kind of makes your point invalid.

Yes, I'm sorry (see how easy it is to say sorry) I did mis-read that. The majority of the world as far as I'm aware ain't getting the Octa-core version and even when they do, it's not going to be 4G enabled, so it seems pretty pointless, this information is correct from time of typing this, I can't see into the future to see what they will release at a later stage.

All that's getting away from the fact that I think the 4s to 5 upgrade is the same as the S3 to S4 upgrade, you came along to say that the S4 has double the amount of cores, well at least one thing could be said for Apple, at least they don't have to release two seprate versions of their phone at launch, one with an inferior processor.

Again yes it will use all the cores maybe not at the same time but you seem to be very confused about multi core processors. It has eight cores for you to argue it is not an eight core cpu based on your reasoning is making you look silly. I understand your point but saying someone is wrong when they say it is an eight core cpu or saying it is the same as the s3 quad core is just plain wrong. However if you want to continue with that view feel free.

Just to note the octa is fully 4g enabled and capable so why you think it is not is again wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again yes it will use all the cores maybe not at the same time but you seem to be very confused about multi core processors. It has eight cores for you to argue it is not an eight core cpu based on your reasoning is making you look silly. I understand your point but saying someone is wrong when they say it is an eight core cpu or saying it is the same as the s3 quad core is just plain wrong. However if you want to continue with that view feel free.

Just to note the octa is fully 4g enabled and capable so why you think it is not is again wrong.

I never said it wouldn't use all the cores, if I did I worded it incorrectly so sorry. I said it wouldn't use all 8 cores at once, so in essence, it isn't actually what a true 8 core processor is. A true 8 core processor would be able to use all 8 cores at once and idle down to less when no demanding tasks are being used. The Octa-core S4 doesn't work like that. It is two sets of quad cores that swtich depending on load of the phone. In essence, the fact it has 8 cores doesn't make the phone itself use all 8 cores at once thus meaning the extra power over the snapdragon processor isn't because one is quad core and one is octa-core, it's just the octa-core has a better quad core processor in it.

A true 8 core processor would be able to use all 8 cores at once. The octa-core S4 isn't a true 8 core processor, it's two sets of quad cores, you can't argue over that.

Well that was my argument, but I was corrected at a later date when evidence came about that there were 3 different 'sku's' of the S4

S4 Korean octa-core LTE 1.8ghz
    S4 quad core LTE 1.9ghz
    S4 octa-core 1.6ghz (no LTE)

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/10/galaxy-s4s-latest-benchmark-confirms-samsungs-exynos-5-octa-kills-qualcomms-snapdragon-600/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it wouldn't use all the cores, if I did I worded it incorrectly so sorry. I said it wouldn't use all 8 cores at once, so in essence, it isn't actually what a true 8 core processor is. A true 8 core processor would be able to use all 8 cores at once and idle down to less when no demanding tasks are being used. The Octa-core S4 doesn't work like that. It is two sets of quad cores that swtich depending on load of the phone. In essence, the fact it has 8 cores doesn't make the phone itself use all 8 cores at once thus meaning the extra power over the snapdragon processor isn't because one is quad core and one is octa-core, it's just the octa-core has a better quad core processor in it.

A true 8 core processor would be able to use all 8 cores at once. The octa-core S4 isn't a true 8 core processor, it's two sets of quad cores, you can't argue over that.

Well that was my argument, but I was corrected at a later date when evidence came about that there were 3 different 'sku's' of the S4

S4 Korean octa-core LTE 1.8ghz
    S4 quad core LTE 1.9ghz
    S4 octa-core 1.6ghz (no LTE)

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/10/galaxy-s4s-latest-benchmark-confirms-samsungs-exynos-5-octa-kills-qualcomms-snapdragon-600/

You seem to backtrack a lot. Find me evidence where it can't use all 8 cores at once.

You make yourself look bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to backtrack a lot. Find me evidence where it can't use all 8 cores at once.

You make yourself look bad.

I already have, I linked it to you. The octa-core S4 isn't a 8 core processor, it's two quad cores linked together. An 8 core processor can use all 8 cores at once, the S4 can't do that. The total amount of cores in the S4 might be 8, but that doesn't mean it uses all 8 at once.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    For me its customisation. Smart stay was useful for me and i still miss having it on my N4. S voice was also good, better than Siri imo.

I found S Voice pretty crap, but Google now is way better than both.