Chaging the gender in lyrics

NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
Forum Member
✭✭
I find it quite problematic to be honest.

This is been going on for some years from what I understand (i'm "new" to the UK show) so this must have been discussed before but I'm curious to hear your opinions about it.

I don't wanna use big words like homophobia but it's at least dangerously heteronormative. We are talking about contestants whom we barely now and who haven't spoke about their sexual orientations (nor have to), so changing the lyrics to every song to always fit an heterosexual viewpoint is not very healthy is it? I mean the neutral thing to do would be just to leave the songs as they are.

I guess we are coming to a point when if an act uses the lyics to adress his own gender that would count as a coming out? :D

This rant doesn't make sense if it is always the contestant choice to change the lyrics of course, that would be ok, but to me this feels like part of the "family friendly" package ITV wants to offer? I don't know, at least here in Portugal I never saw anyone do this in talent shows.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always reminds me of Dannii's comments to Danyl....awkward. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovsRcL8caY
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Simon was his mentor... interesting.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth pointing out Ruth didn't change the gender reference when she sang Angels.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I don't like it at all!

Something is and all time classic and everyone and his/her dog know that the lyric is:

"Something in the way SHE moves"

It grates and detracts from the song when the words are changed.

I mean come on there are millions of songs for both males and females and non-gender ones as well, so why deliberately pick one that isn't suitable for the singers sex?

If a gay person wishes to sing a song that was originally for the opposite sex, than that is fine as they won't be changing the words and they will be identifying with it. EG A gay man singing "Mad about the boy" or a lesbian woman singing "She, maybe the face I can't forget", are all fine as the song remains the same and is unchanged.
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It usually doesn't bother me, but sometimes when the change is really obvious it screams 'BUT I'M NOT GAY! OK????'. It shouldn't matter, but I think the show/contestants takes it more seriously that the audience potentially would, and thats silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I find it quite problematic to be honest.

This is been going on for some years from what I understand (i'm "new" to the UK show) so this must have been discussed before but I'm curious to hear your opinions about it.

I don't wanna use big words like homophobia but it's at least dangerously heteronormative. We are talking about contestants whom we barely now and who haven't spoke about their sexual orientations (nor have to), so changing the lyrics to every song to always fit an heterosexual viewpoint is not very healthy is it? I mean the neutral thing to do would be just to leave the songs as they are.

I guess we are coming to a point when if an act uses the lyics to adress his own gender that would count as a coming out? :D

This rant doesn't make sense if it is always the contestant choice to change the lyrics of course, that would be ok, but to me this feels like part of the "family friendly" package ITV wants to offer? I don't know, at least here in Portugal I never saw anyone do this in talent shows.

It's not just on talent shows though, artists away from that world also do it, although not always, such as in Amy Winehouse's cover of Valerie. But then she would have had to change the song title as well really! :D
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicholas didn't change the gender in his Adele song tonight which surprised me - pleasantly.
  • plinkiplonkplinkiplonk Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he did. :rolleyes:
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he did. :rolleyes:
    Sounded like he was singing the original lyrics to me. And no need for the eye-rolling either. ;)
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was actually Nicholas performance that led me to this open this thread, though at least Sam B did it too this week I think.

Because it was a song that got so much airplay and because they changed the second verse, it's sounded off to me, it was too obvious. And they really didn't needed to do it, if it's to "save" their acts image (ugh), because that verse wasn't directly related to "him".

They changed to "I hope that you're settled down, that you found a boy". So they don't even allowed an ex-girlfriend to be bisexual. :D
  • InsomniacParadeInsomniacParade Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They changed to "I hope that you're settled down, that you found a boy". So they don't even allowed an ex-girlfriend to be bisexual. :D

Or maybe they don't allow his ex-boyfriend to be bisexual ;)
  • SageDragonSageDragon Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Agree. Cher Lloyd's semi-final performance of Nothin' on You kept the original words and helped her catch the eye of a significant gay following.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I can see reasons for both. Personally, I couldn't care…If you're singing, example: The Man Who Can't be Moved, that's a lot of gender changes to have to bother yourself with, when really, there's no need. People won't make an assumption on your sexuality because you sing a song a way. On the other hand, when it's teenagers singing them, I can understand them changing it to either meet their target or make the song relatable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you choose how to sing the song.

"A New England" by Kirsty MacColl was originally a Billy Bragg song and the lyrics were changed for a female singer. He originally sang "I'm not looking for a New England, just looking for another girl". She changed it to something like "Are you looking for another girl".

"Substitute" by Clout. Song was actually originally by the Righteous Brothers. I don't think the name "Sam" even appears in the original. I think it's just "Girl". There is a line where Clout sing: "I'll wait until my chances occur, 'cos you can't keep relying on her". The original couplet was something like "I realise that my chances are slim, but you can't keep relying on him".

I can probably find several others.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of examples where a song has been sung by different genders and the lyrics have been tweaked to match the singer's gender. It's no big deal unless it screws up the meaning of the song. Besides, the general X factor watcher isn't particularly sophisticated.

It could also be about 'owning the song' or 'making it your own'. Louis missed a trick there with both Sam and Nicholas.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it at all!

Something is and all time classic and everyone and his/her dog know that the lyric is:

"Something in the way SHE moves

Not quite true. 'Something' was not actually a hit until George Harrison let Shirley Bassey take her version up the charts with the lyric changed for her to HE. It was one of her biggest successes and considered a comeback at the time.

It went to no.4 in 1970 and spent 22 weeks in the charts. The album Something went to no. 5 and spent 28 weeks in the charts.

She is the only artiste to outsell the Beatles with a cover version of one of their songs. She has been singing her version ever since in her concerts for over 40 years and it's considered a classic. So I think we have to accept, as the song's writer did, that it can be changed!
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,251
    Forum Member
    With any song the acts sing they have to change the lyrics abit because of copy right.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    With any song the acts sing they have to change the lyrics abit because of copy right.
    No they don't and changing lyrics can cause legal issues if they aren't careful.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind whether they change or keep the original gender. The most important thing for me is that they connect with the song and I imagine having the gender fit with whatever their preferences are can help that. It shouldn't necessarily become a political point.
  • plinkiplonkplinkiplonk Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't see this as much of an issue, because it's been done forever. Sucessful songs used to be recorded by various different artists of both genders, that's why you can find both "the girl from Ipanema" and "the boy from Ipanema" on Itunes for example.

It's more interesting if they don't do it for whatever reason - when Lloyd Daniels did "I kissed a girl", they obviously couldn't change it to "I kissed a boy" without fuelling the gay rumours, so they left the original text, which then didn't make any sense at all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer it, I don't see why homosexuality should be encouraged?
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer it, I don't see why homosexuality should be encouraged?

Oh dear :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite rightly been pointed out that Shirley Bassey changed the lyric from She to He, and probably would have to at the time she recorded it. Sam sung it closer to the Beatles style, because Shirley's version is more mischievous, but the change may not be down conventional stereotype. Sam herself may have felt uncomfortable singing She and may also have been wise not to encourage some possible inane comments regarding a prison officer and lesbian undertones. It would not be something that would bother me, but if it did concern Sam then it would have been equally wrong to insist on She for the sake of political correctness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does my head in when they change the Andy Williams song to "Music To Watch Boys By". And it can't be easy to sing either.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It always reminds me of Dannii's comments to Danyl....awkward. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovsRcL8caY

Iconic X Factor moment :cool: