Girl who shaved head for charity told she must wear wig to school

Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
Forum Member
A teenager who shaved her head for a cancer charity has been told to wear a wig to school or risk being disciplined.

Jess Vine, 15, cut off her waist-length hair to raise more than £400 for Cancer Research after losing her grandfather to the disease.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/07/teenager-who-shaved-head-for-cancer-charity-told-she-must-wear-wig-to-school-4690914/

A familiar scenario? Why do schools adopt this hardline approach when it comes to hairstyles? The sensible (and nice) thing would surely have been to support her.

Comments

• FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it would, but schools often end up getting their knickers in a twist over trivial things at the expense of the important things.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'd wear the biggest afro wig I could find.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get in trouble for my shaved head at school.
    Forum Member
    I used to get in trouble for my shaved head at school.

We never had that trouble, as I left in 1990, and shoulder-length curtains a la Happy Mondays / Inspiral Carpets etc were all the rage. I sported a full on Clint Boon haircut back then :D
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no defending that position, it's the height of petty power assertion.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »

:D:D:D

saying that though, some kid in america got sent home from school because their afro hair was too big!
    Forum Member

saying that though, some kid in america got sent home from school because their afro hair was too big!

No afro is ever too big.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just silly.

She should be praised for what she did. It's not as though she done it to make a fashion statement.

What if a child at the school lost their hair through chemotherapy or something? Would they be in breach of the strict uniform policy too?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much info to go on in that article, but if you know your school has a strict uniform policy, then its probably best to check with them before shaving your head.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Not much info to go on in that article, but if you know your school has a strict uniform policy, then its probably best to check with them before shaving your head.

Even if you are donating your hair to a charity and being sponsored to do it in memory if a family member who has died from cancer? Of course the priority should be to check your schools uniform policy....
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member

I would probably do similar to this actually
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you are donating your hair to a charity and being sponsored to do it in memory if a family member who has died from cancer? Of course the priority should be to check your schools uniform policy....

Its probably a bit of an educational fad, but uniform policies have become very much stricter than in my day. If you believe in a strict uniform policy then you have to uphold it, otherwise who decides what is a valid reason to break it and what is not?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A girl at my school was instantly suspended when she arrived in school as a 'skinhead'.

They wouldn't accept her 'excuse' that during summer break, she went swimming at a friend's local public swimming pool, and it turned her hair 'sickly green and yellow'. She cut her hair as a short crop. There were still some green showing. She shaved the rest off. It already grew an inch long when we returned to school.

The headmaster said it can only happen to bleached hair, not natural blonde hair like hers. He wouldn't budge on her suspension until she was willing to wear a wig. She refused. She was transferred to another school shortly after that.

This happened well over 25 years ago, so it's not a new thing, really.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This shows that school uniforms and strict dress codes, are largely about teaching the kids to obey authority, and not worry about critical thinking or reasoning. The opposite of what they should be learning.

Even if it wasn't for some meaningful cause, why would it matter that someone's head had less hair on it, than others had on theirs? Long hair, I can see being a problem, in very specific circumstances, and then you can have rules for those circumstances. But lack of hair should be of no consequence.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must say, I do suspect that some of these kids take advantage of these charity stunts purely so they can flout school rules.

Perhaps the way forward is for schools to make it a policy that any kids who want to embark on fund-raising activities do it through the school, in a way that the school can approve of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This shows that school uniforms and strict dress codes, are largely about teaching the kids to obey authority, and not worry about critical thinking or reasoning. The opposite of what they should be learning.

Even if it wasn't for some meaningful cause, why would it matter that someone's head had less hair on it, than others had on theirs? Long hair, I can see being a problem, in very specific circumstances, and then you can have rules for those circumstances. But lack of hair should be of no consequence.

^ This, bolded the first part as I think that's a very good statement.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must say, I do suspect that some of these kids take advantage of these charity stunts purely so they can flout school rules.

Perhaps the way forward is for schools to make it a policy that any kids who want to embark on fund-raising activities do it through the school, in a way that the school can approve of?

No, it's unnecessary.
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    No, it's unnecessary.

That seems a little obtuse.

I mean, if this girl really wanted to raise money on behalf of her dear old granddad, surely if the school could have organised something that achieved that goal without creating a disciplinary issue then everybody's a winner?

Seems like the only reason to object to the idea is to enable kids to get away with doing stupid things on the pretext of charity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I mean, if this girl really wanted to raise money on behalf of her dear old granddad, surely if the school could have organised something that achieved that goal without creating a disciplinary issue then everybody's a winner?

Seems like the only reason to object to the idea is to enable kids to get away with doing stupid things on the pretext of charity.

No not really because her having her head should be a non issue in the first place.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The schools should be instituting less BS power asserting rules, not more.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By stupid things you mean this particular rule then.
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    No not really because her having her head should be a non issue in the first place.

Only if you think schools shouldn't have some duty to try and maintain certain standards of appearance within the student body.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    By stupid things you mean this particular rule then.

No, I mean by deciding to participate in an activity that puts you in breach of a school rule rather than doing something else instead.

It'd be kinda like me deciding I was going to do a sponsored drive across the country at 100mph and then whining when I got banned from driving for doing so.
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £400 doesn't seem like much for waist-length hair. Gosh. Shaving your head seems a bit lazy one the grandad had died. Why not do a slightly more challenging fundraising activity? Climb a mountain, starve yourself for a week, etc.

On first reading I thought it said "girl have head for charity". Now that is a step too far.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd have gone with a hijab
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I mean by deciding to participate in an activity that puts you in breach of a school rule rather than doing something else instead.

It'd be kinda like me deciding I was going to do a sponsored drive across the country at 100mph and then whining when I got banned from driving for doing so.