Cheapest tech support?

I have a laptop which has been starting run slowly after over a year of use and I'd like to sort it out. I also don't know hot to do things like backing up files. Is there some sort of cheapish tech support I can sign up for where someone can run through this for me, as my concentration isn't very good?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a laptop which has been starting run slowly after over a year of use and I'd like to sort it out. I also don't know hot to do things like backing up files. Is there some sort of cheapish tech support I can sign up for where someone can run through this for me, as my concentration isn't very good?

Probably best to take it to somewhere like a local IT tech, since you're well off cmorris's bus route you could be reasonably safe ;) the problem with online support that it can be pretty hard to work out what the problem(s) are so there ends up with a large question/answer session via text or having to allow someone to remote login and even then it may require physical access to the machine to do something in the recovery console etc
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your name suggests your location (ie a distance from anywhere), then the best bet would be to find "someone that knows someone". Ask in a local pub etc.

Fixing issues like this is not particularly difficult, just time consuming as a lot of it is running a check, updating and installing, removing superfluous crap etc.

Local pub, £50 and a pint and you are sorted. Couple more pints and the guy will walk you through the various processes.
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking more of telephone support, like the PC world service only hopefully cheaper.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may even find this non-techy guide helpful
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/10500034/Slow-computer-10-ways-to-make-it-run-faster.html

Any specific problems why not just ask on here as there's always someone willing and able to help.

As far as backing-up is concerned there's loads of help (again on here) and have a look here for an idea of what help is on the net
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2065126/the-absurdly-simple-guide-to-backing-up-your-pc.html

All free advice:)