Michelle's accent!

2»

Comments

• StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from the North East and when I am in other areas or with friends who are no5 from here I change my accent so they can understand me properly. If I don't then they sometimes don't catch what I am saying. I certainly don't do it to try to be posh! Just polite.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moonbaby wrote: »
    Seriousley its grating on me now!

Why is she trying to hide her geordie accent? Her attempts at sounding posh are ridiculous. If she's going to put on a posh voice at least try and do it properly and don't end up sounding like a mockney cockney:rolleyes:

Listening to her argue with Coolio was pathetic, she can't hide the fact she is a common geordie. You can't polish a turd Michelle love;)

Oh I love her accent. I've always had a thing for the geordie accent though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    You either want to change your accent or you don't .

I have lived inthe North East for 6 years and my accent is still Sar East London

Michelle hasn't spent that long down south so her change of pronounciation at times is deliberate IMO.

Not true. I've found my accent altering without me even being initially aware of it.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was from Heaton... If she's from Gateshead then she is definately not a Geordie.
    I'm a Geordie and I can tell you that some of us have thick Geordie accents and some of us don't. I also think that living in somewhere like London or anywhere else away from your native part of the country can play a part in your accent changing.
  • jaqjaq Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    There are regional variations within the Geordie/North-east accent, in the same way as there are variations within, say, a Brummy accent. The Gateshead accent tends to be slightly softer. There are even variations within the Gateshead accent itself - it's pretty much stuck bewteen Sunderland and Newcastle, so there's elements of both there.

I think also because it's an accent where endings are generally dropped, eg so that "ing" becomes "n" and "er" becomes "a", it can sound like someone's trying to put on a "posh" accent when they're actually just trying to enunciate their words properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you hear her trying to sound posh though? Its ridiculous.
    I can !
    why try to hide your accent !:eek:
    whether she is a geordie or not she is trying to mask her north east accent.
    Im from her way and we dont talk like that !
  • RomusRomus Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriousley its grating on me now!

Why is she trying to hide her geordie accent? Her attempts at sounding posh are ridiculous. If she's going to put on a posh voice at least try and do it properly and don't end up sounding like a mockney cockney:rolleyes:

Listening to her argue with Coolio was pathetic, she can't hide the fact she is a common geordie. You can't polish a turd Michelle love;)

Well you are obviously the expert. Are you common too? Is that how you can tell?:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Romus wrote: »
    Well you are obviously the expert. Are you common too? Is that how you can tell?:D:D:D:D

just because ive got a northern accent does not mean im common.
    Shes probably had a better upbringing and lifestyle than you and i definatly have sweetie.:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I say that?:confused:

You said "you can't polish a turd" - are you the expert in polishing also? :rolleyes::D:D:yawn::sleep:

Your comment suggests that you think being a working class Geordie makes one "common" and a "turd". Discuss.:D:D: :cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suec wrote: »
    just because ive got a northern accent does not mean im common.
    Shes probably had a better upbringing and lifestyle than you and i definatly have sweetie.:D:D:D:D

Your uninformed guesswork is totally incorrect. I don't have an accent - I speak similarly to Ulrika. (Just a very, very, very slight London twang, sometimes). Sweetie :o:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your uninformed guesswork is totally incorrect. I don't have an accent - I speak similarly to Ulrika. (Just a very, very, very slight London twang, sometimes). Sweetie :o:eek:
    You will have an accentyou obviously think you are different to everybody else :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will have an accentyou obviously think you are different to everybody else :rolleyes:

Nope. You are totally incorrect - again. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :cool::cool:

I am different to everybody else. So are you. So what? :D:D:D

Edited to add: I did actually say that I have a slight London twang sometimes. But generally I don't have an accent. I am the best judge of this, I feel.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle's just pretentious. I hate her faux-posh Geordie accent. I live in Newcastle, and true Geordies don't enunciate their words like that, let me tell you! Get the Princess out!
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I thought she was from Heaton... If she's from Gateshead then she is definately not a Geordie.
    I'm a Geordie and I can tell you that some of us have thick Geordie accents and some of us don't. I also think that living in somewhere like London or anywhere else away from your native part of the country can play a part in your accent changing.

Cheryl Cole's from Heaton. Maybe that's who you're thinking of.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    I thought Geordies were from north of the Tyne

No, Geordies are from Tyneside. Gateshead is on the south bank of the Tyne, which means anyone from Gateshead is a Geordie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can !
    why try to hide your accent !:eek:
    whether she is a geordie or not she is trying to mask her north east accent.
    Im from her way and we dont talk like that !

If you want folks from other parts of the country to understand you then it's polite to speak an English that is universally understood. Geordie sound like Dutch to me, and it reflects badly on the people when other Brits don't know what they are saying.

By all means speak the local lingo at home, but most people are educated these days and hear clear english on tv so know how to talk with people all over the world.
  • moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said "you can't polish a turd" - are you the expert in polishing also? :rolleyes::D:D:yawn::sleep:

Your comment suggests that you think being a working class Geordie makes one "common" and a "turd". Discuss.:D:D: :cool::cool:

Im sorry to inform you that I am myself quite common:o

What irks me is when people try and pretend they are something they are not. Which is what Michelle is doing imo. She is trying to talk posh when she isn't posh at all and it sounded ridiculous because its so forced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know what Michelle's background is? Have you studied her life? You can have a different accent and come from the same area. It depends on lots of influences.
    I am married to a Geordie with a barely noticeable accent, who never uses any twang or phrases......born on the banks of the Tyne...perhaps he's posh :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Edited to add: I did actually say that I have a slight London twang sometimes. But generally I don't have an accent. I am the best judge of this, I feel.
    You may think you have no accent sweetie but if you go to glasgow you have a different accent , go to birmingham , liverpool or newcastle and im afraid you will have a different accent. EVERBODY has a regional accent - your no different.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This reminds me of something an American friend of mine said. I remarked on her accent (she is from Boston) and she was offended, she said she didn't have an accent....but that everyone else did. I tried to explain to her that the way she spoke was as much of an accent as anyone else but she got quite stroppy and wouldn't accept it. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I actually noticed this last night, she sounded like she was trying to talk different, maybe its because shes in the house with lots of other accents!! :D
  • donna hopedonna hope Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    people from the north east all have a different sort of accent depending on the area you are from.

deep north newcastle and they sound like gazza, tim healy

gateshead way they sound like cheryl cole

sunderland way more like michelle, denise welsh and durham way slightly posher still - although durham city which is in the center of the north east is regarded as the posh end of the north east and people from darlington and middlesbrough all sound similar to the sunderland people.

but the tones are still similar only people from the north east are able to tell the difference in the range of NE accents but the north east is a massive region you know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    ...............she can't hide the fact she is a common geordie. You can't polish a turd Michelle love;)

You don't by any chance, happen to be a common geordie turd, who hasn't been polished, do you? :)
  • Phat FacePhat Face Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I love the geordie accent :cool: