Looks like 3/7 for my dismissal

Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
For the last 23 years I have worked in a decorating shop, apron 4 years ago I got diagnosed with early onset PD, not Ben to work for 3 months now as my PD is too bad, got a letter last week saying come to a meeting but if we can't make adjustments we're gonna dismiss ya, but its a shop what changes can they make? It's a shop

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is PD?
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postnatal Depression ?
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have Parkinsons OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a guess Parkinsons Disease
  • DolphinusDolphinus Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Postnatal Depression ?

:D...
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry my bad, yes it's Parkinson's disease
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    Sorry my bad, yes it's Parkinson's disease

Thanks - what are your current symptoms?
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They hopefully will show you some compassion OP, after all you've given them 23 years. Good luck to you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Thanks - what are your current symptoms?

Well I shake quite badly but my apomorphine pump helps with that, but my worse symptom is my walking ability has gone to virtually nothing. I can manage a shuffle but it is very painful
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your PD, Dean. If you've not worked for 3 months they're bound to wonder if you're coming back or not. Maybe at this meeting they might be looking at how they can adapt the kind of work you're doing there, or the environment you work in. You've not said much about the kind of employers they are so it's hard to judge.

Have you asked yourself whether you want to go back there? Would you like to return to work in some kind of role?

If working in the decorating shop is too much for you, it might be a good idea to get advice from a disability-related organization or talk with an advisor from the DWP or something.

Edit: Just seen your latest post, Dean. Sounds like your PD is pretty bad and, without meaning to be patronising, it sounds like you would have every reason in the world not to work, if you don't want to. However, if you do, I hope you're getting all the help (financial and otherwise) you need to manage your PD. There's no shame in getting help if it enables you to stay independent and do the things you want to do, including work.

Aren't some employers able to claim funding for providing support to employees with disabilities? Honestly don't know enough about it but am half sure that there is support available on some levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your PD, Dean. If you've not worked for 3 months they're bound to wonder if you're coming back or not. Maybe at this meeting they might be looking at how they can adapt the kind of work you're doing there, or the environment you work in. You've not said much about the kind of employers they are so it's hard to judge.

Have you asked yourself whether you want to go back there? Would you like to return to work in some kind of role?

If working in the decorating shop is too much for you, it might be a good idea to get advice from a disability-related organization or talk with an advisor from the DWP or something.

To be fair my employers have been fantastic to me, really patient but I don't see what changes they can make for me I just can't do shop work anymore :-( and there are no offices to go into,
    I've had a nice lady from DWP round to see e and if I do get dismissed on medical grounds I will be eligible for a benefit whereby they believe you will never work again. ESA I think it's called
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I shake quite badly but my apomorphine pump helps with that, but my worse symptom is my walking ability has gone to virtually nothing. I can manage a shuffle but it is very painful

Thanks again.

I think it all comes down to what is reasonably practicable. Is it reasonably practicable for hand rails to be installed in key places? Is it reasonably practicable for your job to evolve into one where you spend more time sitting down? If so, great. If not, the future is probably not so good. I hope that shaking shouldn't be an issue for your employer....well, unless you're handling dangerous machinery/tools, of course!!

If your employer is a large company, cost shouldn't play a part in rejecting any reasonable adjustments required. It's only when an employer is a small company or sole trader when it could be considered too expensive/unreasonable.

If, after reasonable adjustments are made, you're still unable to carry out your duties, then that's when your employer can start the process of terminating your contract.

Good luck!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair my employers have been fantastic to me, really patient but I don't see what changes they can make for me I just can't do shop work anymore :-( and there are no offices to go into,
    I've had a nice lady from DWP round to see e and if I do get dismissed on medical grounds I will be eligible for a benefit whereby they believe you will never work again. ESA I think it's called

Well good luck, Dean. Let us know what happens and I hope you get the outcome you want and deserve. PD sounds like crap but you have a lot of years ahead of you and you want to have a good quality of life, whatever happens. If that involves working, for you, I hope you can do something that can 'work with' your condition. If you become a 'person of leisure' and have to give up work, I hope you get everything you're entitled to and enjoy your time doing whatever you choose to do.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,396
    Forum Member
    For the last 23 years I have worked in a decorating shop, apron 4 years ago I got diagnosed with early onset PD, not Ben to work for 3 months now as my PD is too bad, got a letter last week saying come to a meeting but if we can't make adjustments we're gonna dismiss ya, but its a shop what changes can they make? It's a shop

I hope things work out for you, Dean Dare, and it might be worth finding out the addresses of the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau and ACAS offices if find you need help about benefits or dismissals. Good luck! :)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. But to be fair if you can't do your job then there's no need to keep paying you is there?