Frequent hospital appointments - how to address with a new job?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically I've been looking for work for a while, got a couple of interviews coming up (one for a temp agency).
My problem is I see a therapist every couple of weeks and the latest appointment I could get with her would be 5pm - and that's even if it's available in her diary.
Obviously this would mean missing at least an hour, probably more, every other wednesday. How can I address this with future employers/the temping agency? If they hire me do they have to honour my medical appointments, or will this be ridiculously problematic? I've debated with myself whether I could just stop seeing her but I really don't think I can do without my sessions at the moment.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    as far as i know you don't have to tell them till you get the job and then they have to fit you in. i guess with temping this may be a problem, but provided you work your hours i can't see it as being unworkable.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are a temp there's no legal obligation for anyone hiring you through the agency to permit your appointments as by an large they can send you packing immediately anyway.

Personally I would have thought a late afternoon appointment every couple of weeks shouldn't be a major issue for most, and I really think you have little choice other than to be up front if they are regular appointments.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    as far as i know you don't have to tell them till you get the job and then they have to fit you in. i guess with temping this may be a problem, but provided you work your hours i can't see it as being unworkable.

They don't have to fit you in at all. You have virtually zero employment rights unfortunately.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the same position when I started a new job. I used to finish work at 4pm, but the last appointment was then, so I'd have to leave 30 mins early most times, or on a couple of occasions even earlier.
    I didn't tell them till I started the job - but they did let me go to the appointments with no problems. Although I didn't have to, I used to stay late at least one other day the same week to try and make up for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    If it's a temp agency you may be able to get the time off but you would take it unpaid. There might be a chance to negotiate starting early so you don't lose out on pay.

My employer allows me to attend therapy appointments that I have once a month at the moment. It part of the reasonable adjustment that they make for my health. If going therapy once a month keeps me in work and doing well the rest of the time. Then that is better for them than stopping me going and I become unwell and go off sick for long periods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would have to let you go for appointments if the condition you are going for counts as a disability. If it's not a disability they would either let you go early, or let you go entirely and sack you. But can't you work part time and say you can't do Wednesday afternoons or something?
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    They would have to let you go for appointments if the condition you are going for counts as a disability. If it's not a disability they would either let you go early, or let you go entirely and sack you. But can't you work part time and say you can't do Wednesday afternoons or something?

They still have no workers rights and can be let go at any point.
  • macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not after 12 weeks though ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    Not after 12 weeks though ;)

None of the fairly minimal rights that might be acquired after 12 weeks includes a right to take time out during the working day for medical appointments though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True, but dismissal on grounds of frequent medical appointments could be classed as discrimination, which IS one of the few employment rights you have from the day you start any job.

Obviously, the company involved could claim the dismissal was due to another reason, particularly if that reason is difficult to prove one or the other.

OP, I think all you can do is be upfront and honest with your potential employers. They're not obliged to let you have time off for these appointments, but if it's only once every 2 weeks, I can't see it being a massive problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    podgicus wrote: »
    True, but dismissal on grounds of frequent medical appointments could be classed as discrimination, which IS one of the few employment rights you have from the day you start any job.
    Unless the person concerned was disabled that wouldn't apply, and even then they'd have to be able to prove that they had been treated differently to non-disabled people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not strictly true. Being dismissed for being disabled would be discriminatory and is illegal. What they may well do though is dismiss you for something else which is pretty well made up. So yes, you do have to choose your battles.