4OD (web) now with adverts

boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
Forum Member
Forcing me to disable ABP to watch coppers and ads all the way through :/
Can someone with FF confirm please.

Comments

• drempiredrempire Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    i can confirm this its been bugging me like crazy i cannot stand the amount of ads on 4od, i am looking and working on a work around for this problem

I have firefox windows 7 latest updates for flash player and firefox, im going to check out some simple things first like downgrade firefox and ad blocker

EDIT: i have discovered from anther site which i wont say here as digitalspy is very sensitive, that 40d from the 21st i believe have managed to block adblocker from there end, there are people working on a work around but from this moment as far as i know there is no way around it, unless you can check the youtube 4od as ads still blocked there
  • St@mmieSt@mmie Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you view 4od through xbmc with the appropriate xbmc addon its still ad free. The same goes for ITV player and Demand 5 too.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Thanks.
    Hope there's a simple workaround. Just had to create a channel4 account to watch Peep Show:rolleyes:
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Missed the edit but need to moan. So to watch an episode of Peep Show which when I chop the credits is 20 minutes long, I have to watch 90 seconds of adverts before the show, plus an extra 10 seconds for not picking which phone advert I want to watch (WTF?) then have to watch another 90 seconds of adverts halfway through. These adverts are the same for every episode so now I'm going to start buying Twinings tea and I'm going to the cinema watch a film I may well hate, and I'm only on episode 4. Youtube is an option but the bitrate on there for old Peep show seems even worse than on the dedicated site.
    Gonna look in to other methods but it's like I'm being punished for using their service. Seems a bit backward!
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Just tried to watch last weeks Location. On FF9. Full of adverts and damn thing wouldn't stream properly anyway.
    Forum Member
    i would love to know more details on the plugin or add on i may need for this, just discovered this little program looks interesting
    Forum Member
    i agree the bit rate is terrible on youetube, if you really would like to check out programs like this there are other places you can go, but like i said before digitalspy is very sensitive on what links we put on here so may need to do a simple google search for something like stagevu, though most likely what i just typed there will be blanked out or entire comment removed completely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drempire wrote: »
    i would love to know more details on the plugin or add on i may need for this, just discovered this little program looks interesting
    Are you talking about the xbmc addon I mentioned?
    If so just do a google search for xbmc (I'm not sure what sites ds allows us to link to)
    I recommend installing the Eden beta version , once installed search the xbmc community forums for the addons you want, there's a wealth of information on how to install them and get them working.
    Forum Member
    i found it looks great i really like this program can do so much with it, as with ondemand like 4od i am having problems and can only get it to work on linux as all instructions for 4od seem to be for that but really i would prefer to use it on windows 7

thanks for this program i am going to learn more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drempire wrote: »
    i found it looks great i really like this program can do so much with it, as with ondemand like 4od i am having problems and can only get it to work on linux as all instructions for 4od seem to be for that but really i would prefer to use it on windows 7

thanks for this program i am going to learn more

To get 4od working on xbmc in Windows, you need to tell it where rtmpdump.exe is in the addon settings, there is a long 4od thread on the xbmc forums that tell you how to do this and where to download rtmpdump from. I'd also recommend the excellent iplayer addon which works imho much better than the web page version.
    Forum Member
    thank you st@mmie once i find the time hopefully later today ill check it out,
    i did read about this add on you speak of and people say there are problems with it, could the problems be with the adverts? are you still using it now and can confirm ads are still removed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried a couple of programs on it last night, both worked fine and were ad free. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and xbmc 11 Eden beta 2, I suspect if people are having problems they are probably on different setups to this.