Airport Express

simps100simps100 Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

Just ordered an Apple Airport express - The wireless on my VM Superhub is rubbish so am going to use this to tackle that.

From what i understand i have 2 options...

Turn off wireless on the superhub and plug the airport express into one of the ports

Turn the superhub to Modem Only mode and let airport express handle it all

Which one would be the best? One thing putting me off the 2nd option is that it only has 1 Ethernet port and that's only a 10/100mb one, i have a 120mb connection so ideally id like to still get the top internet speed!

Cheers

Marc

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use it as a WiFi range extender or in place of the Superhub's WiFi.

You might be lucky and get close to 120Mb/s over WiFi using it as a range extender. But then again you might not. At least connecting via cable more or less guarantees the link between Airport-Express and Superhub is 100Mb/s.

Thing is if you turn off the Superhub's WiFi there is only the ethernet method of connection. And both the WAN and LAN ports on the Airport-Express are 100Mb/s so no way you'll get the full monty 120Mb/s.

That is if you DO get the full 120Mb/s. Have you run some speed tests to check what you are actually getting?
  • simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive done a speed test just now and it was 122mb which is pretty impressive for the time of the day!

I guess i could plug my main pc into a port on the superhub and everything else wireless on the airport express..is there any disadvantage of doing it this way and not setting my superhub to modem only mode?
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    By far the best option is to put the VM router into Bridge Mode so it simply acts as a gateway and let the AX handle everything. If not I see little point in investing in the AX in the first place.

Personally my money would have gone on an AirPort Extreme.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simps100 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just ordered an Apple Airport express - The wireless on my VM Superhub is rubbish so am going to use this to tackle that.

I find the wireless on my Superhub pretty good with 2 iPhones, Tab 2, Macbook, Sony TV, Sky HD box and PSVita all working nicely together.

Maybe it's worth looking at your settings and location of the Superhub.