Dont Disney own the copyright on Muppets

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondered with a obvious Muppet at the start. Is the copyright owned not by Disney now? I suppose as long as you don't call her a muppet but a puppet maybe that's ok.

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Just wondered with a obvious Muppet at the start. Is the copyright owned not by Disney now? I suppose as long as you don't call her a muppet but a puppet maybe that's ok.
    You make wonder if all was as it seemed. I wouldn't put it past ITV to have done some sort of entertainment crossover deal with Disney to may be help revitalise the Muppet brand on television.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    You make wonder if all was as it seemed. I wouldn't put it past ITV to have done some sort of entertainment crossover deal with Disney to may be help revitalise the Muppet brand on television.

genius :D

that really needs some sinister "dan dan daaaaaaaaaannn!" conspiracy music :)
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Well puppets were going long before the muppets came out and so you can't have copyright on all puppets whatever they look like.

You can however have full copyright on the word "Muppet" or "Muppets" and the characters, if they are direct copies of say Miss Piggy or Kermit or any other character that have been created. You can also copyright any sketch, skit or catchphrase.

But you can't copyright every foam puppet on the planet. Every Muppet is a foam filled puppet, but not every foam filled puppet is a Muppet.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

Other than The Muppets have just had two hit hollywood movies and a TV special with Lady Gaga
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point, that act was probably one of the worst ever seen on the show.

Was it supposed to be funny?

Was it even part of the show or just a backstage filler.

Awful nonsense..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurghh just watching it now on repeat; cringeworthy, American crap.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was one of the Muppets? Never seen it before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    It was one of the Muppets? Never seen it before.

Hope never to see it again!
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope never to see it again!

Well you live up to your name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it supposed to be funny?.

I'd say that all of those people who laughed would probably answer in the affirmative :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that all of those people who laughed would probably answer in the affirmative :)

I suppose we should discount any of the canned laughter to begin with, and then, I would accept, some people, even some adults, may, perhaps, have found it funny.

There again, there are viewers who find the judge who sits at the left-hand end to be riotously funny too.
  • dizzy_starshinedizzy_starshine Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    If you go to the FAO Schwartz toy store in America you can make your own muppet which is what I think Patsy May was. She certainly has 'muppet' style eyes
    http://www.fao.com/whatnots/builder.jsp
    They come out around £90 which is quite cool to have your own muppet, but I'm not sure if there's any rules against performing with one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose we should discount any of the canned laughter to begin with, and then, I would accept, some people, even some adults, may, perhaps, have found it funny..

You can certainly count me as one of the adults that found it funny. Whilst I wasn't rolling around on the floor clutching my sides, I certainly laughed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you can't copyright a puppet, but it was such a clone of Ms Piggy type muppet, surely, there has to be a tie-in with Disney, or I am sure that they would sue, as a pass-off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the FAO Schwartz toy store in America you can make your own muppet which is what I think Patsy May was. She certainly has 'muppet' style eyes
    http://www.fao.com/whatnots/builder.jsp
    They come out around £90 which is quite cool to have your own muppet, but I'm not sure if there's any rules against performing with one.

That looks like it the blue one, so how the hell did it get on BGT as original, just a muppet.