Vonage Caller ID problem

I wonder if anyone has an idea about what's going on...

I've signed up with Vonage for phone services, and have transferred my landline number from BT. Call quality is massively improved.

However I have a Caller ID problem... whereas with BT my incoming calls showed the phone number and associated name from my phone's directory, now I still see the name but instead of the number I see "Unavailable". This doesn't make sense to me, as surely the number must be coming through OK for the phone to be able to display the correct name.

The phone is a BT Freestyle 4500 DECT. Is this model known for VOIP problems?

Has anyone seen this before?

PS: I should add that if I use Vonage's 1471 facility the number is given correctly, so this suggests a handset problem.

Comments

• acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vonage is US based, hardware locked down. I doubt it's your phone, give Vonage a ring see what they say. They might have the caller ID setting within the ATA set to the US default.

https://forums.vonage.com/showthread.php?t=30921
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean by ATA, but if the phone can display the correct caller name from its directory then I'd have thought this must mean that the number is getting through to the phone such that it can do a look-up. If so, then I'd expect the number to be displayed on the phone instead of 'Unavailable'.

I spoke to Vonage earlier but they seemed clueless and didn't really appreciate that there's anything wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aoxomoxoa wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean by ATA, but if the phone can display the correct caller name from its directory then I'd have thought this must mean that the number is getting through to the phone such that it can do a look-up. If so, then I'd expect the number to be displayed on the phone instead of 'Unavailable'.

I spoke to Vonage earlier but they seemed clueless and didn't really appreciate that there's anything wrong.

ATA = Analogue Telephone Adaptor

Vonage call it the Vonage Box lol :D

So what your saying is if you have telephone number '1234567890' saved in the phones directory under the name 'David Smith' and you receive a call from '1234567890' the name 'David Smith' appears as the caller ID? and if you remove the entry from the directory and you get a call from '1234567890' you get 'Unavailable' as the caller ID and not the telephone number '1234567890'?

EDIT: Oh by the way, I have the same set of DECT phones as you. I use them with VoIP also, without issues I might add. Mine are connected to an OBi202 which is a great bit of kit.

EDIT 1: Try this...
    Turn caller ID Off and On from your Vonage Phone:
    Dial *08 to turn off.
    Dial *06 to turn on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member

So what your saying is if you have telephone number '1234567890' saved in the phones directory under the name 'David Smith' and you receive a call from '1234567890' the name 'David Smith' appears as the caller ID? and if you remove the entry from the directory and you get a call from '1234567890' you get 'Unavailable' as the caller ID and not the telephone number '1234567890'?

OK this is really strange :confused:

I've just deleted the entry for my mobile. Now when I call from my mobile I get the mobile number displayed together with 'Unavailable' - so that makes sense (although previously I just got the number displayed on its own).

However if I put my mobile number back into the phone's directory with the name 'aoxomoxoa' I get the name 'aoxomoxoa' displayed together with 'Unavailable' - whereas when I was with BT I got the name AND number displayed.

In the overall scheme of things it's no biggie, just somewhat irritating.

BTW tried your *08 / *06 suggestion to no avail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vonage have an issue passing the CLI. Nothing you can do about it as you can't alter any configuration settings within your device and even if you did if it's a network issue then only Vonage can correct the issue.

The Vonage forums have loads of threads/posts on caller ID not working/displaying correctly.

You could try another set of phones but my BT Freestyle 4500 DECT phones display the CLI in the normal way with my VoIP hardware/suppliers... i.e. 01234567890