First mobile and need help already please

girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I have purchased a cheap Samsung PAYG phone for under £10. Got home put in the sim card tried to call Orange on 450 to register and buy credit but the phone just comes up Emergency calls only. I can't believe I need help just to get started. Can anyone tell me what to do now? :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Where did you buy the phone from? All PAYG handsets must be activated at point of sale, so you should take it back to the shop and tell them about it. Although that said, all you have to do to activate it is to ring the phone, so that's probably a quicker and easier way of doing it. But if you bought the phone from a shop, I'd still tell the manager it wasn't activated because they could get in serious trouble if their sales staff are doing this on a regular basis.
  • On the RocksOn the Rocks Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    So I have purchased a cheap Samsung PAYG phone for under £10. Got home put in the sim card tried to call Orange on 450 to register and buy credit but the phone just comes up Emergency calls only. I can't believe I need help just to get started. Can anyone tell me what to do now? :o

Are you sure there's a signal where you live? If it's a rural area, it might be as simple as the network not quite covering you. Try taking it somewhere else, even just outside, to see if that solves the problem. If it does, you might want to see if you can take it back to Orange and get one on a different network that does cover your home.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help, I think it was something to do with the phone/network because I have taken it back to Tesco and customer service said that they have had another one the same back already today.
    Should have known it was too good to be true still I have paid extra and got a better phone on T.Mobile.
    Thanks again
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help, I think it was something to do with the phone/network because I have taken it back to Tesco and customer service said that they have had another one the same back already today.
    Should have known it was too good to be true still I have paid extra and got a better phone on T.Mobile.
    Thanks again

Having same prob with my sony ericson vivaz tells me emergency calls only . not new passed on from wife relation can recieve calls but not send . any ideas on pay as you go in credit good signal .
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    If a new PAYG phone has an unregistered sim, all you do is call 0800 079 0006 from a landline and you'll be up and running within 5 mins :)
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a new PAYG phone has an unregistered sim, all you do is call 0800 079 0006 from a landline and you'll be up and running within 5 mins :)

what about o2 on tesco network