How can Apple charge £399 for an iPhone 3GS?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    I just think its stupid you need to pay for the new iPhone 4 when you get a contract with it!

Its like £250 and thats just you getting the phone, then you have to pay £45 a months for 2 years what a complete rip off!

Although more fool those who buy it.
    You can get it for £69 from Three (16GB), then £35 a month (with unlimited data, 2000 mins & 5000 texts). Or £159 for 32GB.
    Topov wrote: »
    Of course, the argument here is the 3GS isn't the best of the range.
    But it's the cheapest.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see this as a worthy thread to be fair? Sure, Apple charge £399 for an iPhone, but how can Samsung charge £540?
    http://www.expansys.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-black-48gb-219525/
    I mean thats getting on for mid to high range desktop money!

HTC charge the same for some of their handsets. Unfortunately its just the way it goes.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old Samsung Galaxy is the direct competitor to the iPhone 4 and can be had for about £250 PAYG.
    Another iPhone 4 competitor at Expansys is £175.
    http://www.expansys.com/acer-liquid-e-android-smartphone-uk-black-218052/

That is why the question was asked with regards to the more limited screened 3GS.

And that overpriced S2 was with 48GB of memory.
  • denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real question is, how can Apple justify charging more for an 8GB iPhone 3GS than for a 16GB iPad 2?

I think this is an extremely good point and one that does confuse me slight regarding the ipad/iphone costs.

When the iphone 4 was coming out I was pretty sure we were going to be seeing a price drop for the cost of the phone over the 3GS as the 32GB 3G ipad was going for £599 (I think). I foolishly thought that as the iphone is smaller then there was no way they would charge more than £549 for the 32GB and hoped for a £499 price point.

I was quite shocked at the final price point, but as a nother poster has already set my heart on it (and used my brain to compare against other phone models and my previous experiences with their products and customer service and considered how I would use it and how it would fit in with what I need from a single device. I was previously carrying an MP3/MP4 palyer a PSP and a phone, so needed a device that would do all of those well, but also have tons of future support from the manufacturer and the app making community) I ended up paying whatever they asked for it (I did cut a deal on my sim only contract so ended up saving £5 a month on the phone calls and data.

I have an ipad 2 also as that now fits in well with the set up I have with streaming videos and music around the house and I like the fact that I only hve to pay for an app once and use it across two or three devices. Yes, Apple did managae to milk me out of a fair bit of money in a 12 month period (Iphone 4, Apple TV and Ipad2. My wife also bought an ipod touch at Christmas), but it all just works how we want it to with no fiddling about with complicated settings, which puts most people off the higher spec phones on the market.

The Android phones are all very nice and have great features, but whenever I have used one I could not get past the "so where do I go to do this then" feeling that made the phone use seem quite convoluted. Apple seems to have stripped out some features in order to provide a smooth and simple (clean and usable) interface that is accesible by everyone. My three year old can use all of the i devices quite well as they all use the same software so it is a smooth transition from phone to ipad etc. My 62 year old step mum has an ipad 2 because it is easier to use than a laptop and as most people only have laptops for internet and e-mail the ipad does the same (don't bother with the Flash argument, it's an outdated gripe that is quickly losing it's amunition with the wide support of HTML5 and also for those who have encountered issues when trying to use Flash on devices that do support it. just because it's a feature of something doesn't mean it is needed or implemented well. You can't argue that your phone has an 8mp camera over the iphone 4 5mp and say it must be better before you compare the results. High specs and features don't make a usable product).

The SIM free price of most phones compare very closely to Apple prices. It just seems that apple seems to get it in the neck becasue more people seem to know how expensive there stuff is than know the cost of a SIM free Samsung Galaxy S II (which I think is very nice and slim, but its plastic. If I paid the SIM free price for that I would be very disappointed with what I had got for my money. It just doens't feel like it will last for more than 12 months and still look good. My iphone 4 is almost in mint condition and I'm not that careful with it, but do try and look after it as best I can).

Are Apple products expensive? Yes!

Do I feel as though I have got my moneys worth? Hell yes!!

In which case I have paid a fair price for something I use everyday in every possible way I can.

If you think it is too expensive, not worth it and you can get something else for less money that suits your needs better, then by all means buy that. Apple products are not for you (through your own choice, not in an elitist way). But do not berate others for making their own choices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even so, its not too much more expensive.

At the end of the day, its down to choice.

How can Aston Martin charge £140,000 for a car? A £90,000 Porsche has a similar performance...

They charge that much because they can charge that much, but even so, its not that much more expensive than the competitors.

I just feel this thread is another designed for the sole intention of Apple-bashing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    Are Apple products expensive? Yes!

Do I feel as though I have got my moneys worth? Hell yes!!

Very very good conclusion. So true.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    All phones are overpriced unless you go on to a contract. This is not exclusive to apple in anyway.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but it comes in white as well....completely worth this price point.
    http://www.expansys.com/apple-iphone-4-uk-white-32gb-pre-order-200796/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They used to be all overpriced.
    However PAYG is getting more and more popular thus the more competitive low prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    They used to be all overpriced.
    However PAYG is getting more and more popular thus the more competitive low prices.

Not for long. Carriers have all stated that they're scaling back on the subsidies for PAYG handsets as they're still losing money on them. Take a look at the Blackberry Curve, for example - £115 on PAYG, around £150 SIM free. That sort of business model just isn't sustainable, especially when the courts are (rightly) outlawing all the other underhanded charges they make money from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costs are reckoned to be one third of 3 years ago.
    Loss of subsidies may also mean Asda and Tesco will get the in store.

At the moment they probably make £20 profit selling a phone for £15.
    Its why they sell almost only rubbish phones in-store.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    can't blame apple at all for charging this not while there are muppets willing to pay it?

and whats with all the silly anaogies with cars and Tvs .... a truer analogy would be paying £90000 for a porsche or £70000 for a 3 year old fiesta. ;)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    can't blame apple at all for charging this not while there are muppets willing to pay it?

and whats with all the silly anaogies with cars and Tvs .... a truer analogy would be paying £90000 for a porsche or £70000 for a 3 year old fiesta. ;)

your prices are the wrong way round... :p
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    your prices are the wrong way round... :p

Jobs must wet himself laughing every night ... people still pay up to £100 for a 2g :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »

Your Ford dealer is ripping you off.