Surround Sound - How Do I increase the Bass

I own two surround sound systems. One of which is a Sony Located downstairs and the sound (bass) sounds terrific.

However, upstairs I have a Thomson, wheres the sound doesn't sound as good, noticealy the bass!

Is there anything I can do to improve it. There is no "dynamicbass" button on my Thomson like there is on my Sony.

Can anyone help me? :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    i8sky! wrote:
    I own two surround sound systems. One of which is a Sony Located downstairs and the sound (bass) sounds terrific.

However, upstairs I have a Thomson, wheres the sound doesn't sound as good, noticealy the bass!

Is there anything I can do to improve it. There is no "dynamicbass" button on my Thomson like there is on my Sony.

Can anyone help me? :confused:

Which model?
  • i8sky!i8sky! Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the Sony, but my Thomson is the "DLP950VD" model.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    i8sky! wrote:
    There is no "dynamicbass" button on my Thomson like there is on my Sony.
    Tone controls of any sort are an abomination and a sign of inferior equipment design and manufacture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Could be the floor if your sub is one that fires down. Subs need a sturdy base to perform at their best. Try a comparison without the dynamic bass on if the Thomson does not have this the Sony will appear to offer more bass. Also check to see if the Sub has its own volume control and increase it a little. Check that all the speaker cables are correct,if you have any +/- the wrong way around it detract from the systems ability to reproduce its best performance.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for everyones comments :)

@ MrGriller, my subwoofer definately doesn't have any volume controls although I'm just about to check the cables now.

BTW, Both of my Subwoofers are on a laminated (wooden) floor. Is this OK?

Thanks again,

i8sky! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Any floor is ok,just that differnet types give different results. Having isolation spikes on the sub helps,standing the sub on a stone slab also helps apparently.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's no bass button or control of any kind, there's nothing you can do. Thats just the way it is.

Although I have those seperate hifi systems, the amplifier part still has bass + trebble controls. I wouldnt buy a hifi without any sort of control fitted.

Dave
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone:)

Guess I'll just have to live with low bass :( - Ah well!
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried placing the speakers right up close to the walls or in the corners? This usually increases the bass sounds, although hi-fi purists wouldn't do this try it and if it gives you the sound you like then it's your choice.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting regular "Stereo" hifi speakers in corners can work quite well in boosting the bass. But Surround sound systems have very minimal bass in their front speakers (left, right, and centre). Such systems use the sub woofer speaker, and with those your not supposed to be able to hear where the sound is located. I dont think putting these speakers in corners will make much difference.

Dave