BBC 1 (ONE) HD from 3rd November 2010 (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    The more HD content the better and with time it will increase as happened with Colour in the 60s and 70s. However, to insist HD channels could only launch with 99% HD content would simply mean we had a lot less HD channels.
    This would, of course, mean an end to SKY1 HD channel, as a lot of the older Simpsons episodes are not HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    EUROPA wrote: »
    i dont know why scotland dont have the SCOTTISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION from their own country,with common programes joint funded by BBC,like the old regional opt outs from real ITV days
    They do. It's called BBC Alba, which, not being a creature of habit, I occasionally watch as there is some good programming.

OK, I can't understand it, being neither native Scot, nor a linguist, nor living in Scotland. But there are programmes of a type that UK BBC (or ITV, C4 or SKY, for that matter) are scared to make or broadcast. I hope they do a simultaneous translation into English.

BBC Alba is not in HD either, though as it's only part funded by the BBC, perhaps the company that funds the other half would like to cough up the money for it to go HD.
  • zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    How about a Twitter campaign to try and get the BBC to stop using DOGS I've got the ball rolling with -

"Dear @BBC, DOGS are annoying and unwanted, please set an example & do not use them on the flagship @BBCONE HD Channel. #NOBBCDOGS"
  • AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    On the BBC Internet Blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/11/bbc_one_hd_test_transmissions.html it has just been confirmed that the DOG will now be permenantly in place on BBC HD and BBC One HD.

As you might imagine that hasn't gone down well.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alberon wrote: »
    On the BBC Internet Blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/11/bbc_one_hd_test_transmissions.html it has just been confirmed that the DOG will now be permenantly in place on BBC HD and BBC One HD.

As you might imagine that hasn't gone down well.

Why change BBC HD channels policy?

BBC One HD has a major issue. It has the HD dog when it's showing upscaled. Even C4 HD/Five HD drop the HD tag on screen for upscaled. :rolleyes:
  • AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Here's the justification Danielle Nagler of the BBC gave in a reply on their Internet Blog.
    I can confirm that the DOG is intended to be permanently on both BBC One HD and on BBC HD going forward. We have been thinking for some time about the position that we have had with the DOG coming on and off BBC HD. We concluded that given the way that DOGs are used on HD channels to flag HD content, this didn't make sense. If - as we do - we believe that DOGs are useful navigational tools for many people, we should place them consistently on our channels. This is what we will now be doing on our HD channels.

This has led people to ask in what way DOGs are 'navigational tools' and what they do that EPGs and Pop-ups don't.

The BBC has previously admitted the marketing department has a hand in decisions on the DOG. I think they have here too.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    Why change BBC HD channels policy?

BBC One HD has a major issue. It has the HD dog when it's showing upscaled. Even C4 HD/Five HD drop the HD tag on screen for upscaled. :rolleyes:

These are not major issues. In the overall scheme of things they are trivial issues other than to some of the posters on here. It is not a major issue for the BBC. In their case the DOG simply confirms the channel, not whether a programme is in HD. The epg does that.

There are several channels which show a HD symbol all the time whether HD programmes or not - Universal and Living I think are two of them. Also Sky 1 and SyFy. If C4 and Five want to do it differently that is their choice.
  • speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Upscaled SD is still far preferable to me than SD.
    That it only applicable when the HD channel has appropriate specifications. Wild Caribbean on Eden HD is not labeled as being HD. But with Eden HD resolution and bitrate, standard definition programmes like Wild Caribbean benefit from upscaling. Whilst BBC1 HD has minimal resolution/bitrate specifications. And with standard definition BBC1 having an above average bitrate, I can't see a visible difference between BBC1 HD and BBC1 SD.

Danielle Nagler has posted this on her blog
    We are not planning to indicate where programming has been upscaled, since all programmes on BBC One HD that are not flagged as HD are upscaled.
    So for Danielle and/or BBC, upscaled-SD is the new HD! :eek: This is sending the wrong message to programme makers telling them that they don't need to make HD content as BBC1 HD will fool its viewers that up-scaled SD is the same as HD! :rolleyes:
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speculator wrote: »
    That it only applicable when the HD channel has appropriate specifications. Wild Caribbean on Eden HD is not labeled as being HD. But with Eden HD resolution and bitrate, standard definition programmes like Wild Caribbean benefit from upscaling. Whilst BBC1 HD has minimal resolution/bitrate specifications. And with standard definition BBC1 having an above average bitrate, I can't see a visible difference between BBC1 HD and BBC1 SD.

Danielle Nagler has posted this on her blog
    We are not planning to indicate where programming has been upscaled, since all programmes on BBC One HD that are not flagged as HD are upscaled.
    So for Danielle and/or BBC, upscaled-SD is the new HD! :eek: This is sending the wrong message to programme makers telling them that they don't need to make HD content as BBC1 HD will fool its viewers that up-scaled SD is the same as HD! :rolleyes:
    How on earth do you work that out from her quote?

Flagged as HD = HD
    Not flagged as HD = (upscaled) SD
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the discussion about BBC 1 HD being a simulcast of BBC 1 England - that has been clear from the day the channel was announced and it was made clear on here before it launched.

We live in Wales so it is not a simulcast of BBC 1 here, either. The BBC made clear that any regional programming in HD might appear on BBC HD - though not necessarily simulcast (will depend if they are simulcasting from BBC 2, 3 or 4 at the time as these will, rightly, take priority).

There is so little regional HD programming anyhow that for now it is no big deal.

From the posts above it seems that BBC 1 Scotand has more changes from the peek BBC 1 England schedule than BBC 1 Wales does. We only really see differences in opt out slots (eg with the current Snowdonia 1890 reality/documentary series that has been running three times a week at 19.30).

However, there really was no other sensible way to do it until regional BBC 1 HD channels are viable (as they will be within a year or two alongside BBC 2, 3 and 4 HD simulcasts)

And I view it as an opportunity not a disadvantage, You get an extra chance to record/watch something from the BBC in an era when programming often clashes.

I have to say that the biggest concern for me is that in putting two HD channels together the PQ of both looks to have suffered. I have yet to see anything much on BBC 1 HD even made in HD that stands out as being no doubt about it HD. Just the odd scene (eg an outdoor street scene in snow on Moving On this afternoon was pretty good).

That is worrying. If we are at that stage already with two BBC HD channels I am not sure I want any more as they will be barely worth the bother.

I hanker for the days when the BBC HD channel had stunning bit rates, blew the socks off even Sky (and indeed forced them to up their rates to match the BBC). Once you saw something like that opening scene from the first ever episode of Torchwood a few years back on its first airing (the rain falling from the sky onto a body in the dark) it is hard not to compare the lacklustre stuff we get now and wonder whether we have not gone backwards the more mainstream HD has become.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with BBC1 Scotland is that since Pacific Quay was built, most stuff is shot in HD so it seems bizarre that there could be a situation where BBC1 HD is showing an upscaled SD programme, but BBC1 Scotland is showing River City from a HD source, but in SD.

I'd like to hope the BBC's priority is to get the nations onto HD first (so have four variants) before drilling down into the English regions.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If River City is really made in HD then the question is why this is not already aired on BBC HD so that all the UK can watch it instead of the 50th repeat of something else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone else has experience this, but I have BBC One HD in the Sky listings but all it is showing is "no listings available".

I can't seem to be able to watch it :confused:

Is there something I can do to correct this fault?
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if anyone else has experience this, but I have BBC One HD in the Sky listings but all it is showing is "no listings available".

I can't seem to be able to watch it :confused:

Is there something I can do to correct this fault?

Try powering the box off then on again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If River City is really made in HD then the question is why this is not already aired on BBC HD so that all the UK can watch it instead of the 50th repeat of something else.
    I can't find anything to confirm it, but I was sure I read that its production changed to HD when Pacific Quay opened, so they had the facilities to edit it.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've got listings up until 6pm, nothing after that until 9.30pm when Reggie Perrin is on.

Same tomorrow, no listings between 6pm and 9pm :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    I've got listings up until 6pm, nothing after that until 9.30pm when Reggie Perrin is on.

Same tomorrow, no listings between 6pm and 9pm :confused:

Show it your boot;)
    Forum Member
    OK I've kicked it but it's just the same ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Try powering the box off then on again.

It worked, thanks a bunch :D
    Forum Member
    OK I've kicked it but it's just the same ;)

I hope you're joking and know what I meant, lol :D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was shocked The Weakest Link was in HD but never shown on BBC HD. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Ah - I know now why it didn't work - I had my slippers on :p
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It worked, thanks a bunch :D

No problem, a reboot fixes loads of problems ;)
    Forum Member
    Is her cosmetic surgery holding up to the scrutiny of HD?;)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not in HD on BBC One HD :confused: