Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Cuban Tony. Weird.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    What does SA politics have to do with UK today? Nothing....(i have relations there and been there I'm not talking from my armchair completely.

Several billion pounds of trade every year and with South Africa being a developing economy there is much potential to increase trade and investment with them.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in my experience. I've had private work done by Englsh guys before, we agreed on a price between us, and they were just as unreliable.

Anyway, this was a company, they would have been getting equal pay for the same job.
    you don't understand. The eastern guys get a 500% pay increase from their home country. You pay the English guys 500% more and they will give you the same service.
    Forum Member
    pwuz wrote: »
    you don't understand. The eastern guys get a 500% pay increase from their home country. You pay the English guys 500% more and they will give you the same service.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will have to agree to disagree.

With what part?
    Forum Member
    I believe that WAS Cuban Tony that Nick was annoyed with, wasn't it?
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    thewilson wrote: »
    1. What is this "nomination" of which you speak? I have no knowledge of such an enfranchisement pertaining to the sensual prowess of fellow scribes within this forum. Perchance 'tis but a fiction, a mere flight of fancy. Verily, I must proclaim my absolute rejection of such titles on account of the sadness of their nature, but notwithstanding, do proffer my heartfelt thanks to your good self in recognition of your kind offer of title. I feel truly humble in the presence of such an act of generosity.

2) Pray do not distress yourself in the matter of my health, though I am much appreciative of your benevolent concern. Indeed, it does give me great pleasure to assure you of my humour's continued excellent state of wellbeing.

When you post with these long/obscure words it doesn't make you look clever. The opposite actually. I've noticed you do it a lot, as if to prove a level of intelligence? It doesn't work. Just so you know.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that WAS Cuban Tony that Nick was annoyed with, wasn't it?

I didn't hear his name but I didn't get the impression it was. Tony talks cobblers but he doesn't ramble like that bloke did. Unless he'd just got back from the pub. ;-)

Good to hear Nick not buying into the OTT Mandela coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    When you post with these long/obscure words it doesn't make you look clever. The opposite actually. I've noticed you do it a lot, as if to prove a level of intelligence? It doesn't work. Just so you know.

It's the J O'B Syndrome. :D
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Wow - someone just compared Mandela to 'a good Nazi' on Nick's show...
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »

Lol, I never read it originally, but reading it now you've brought it up, you have a good point.
    Forum Member
    I didn't hear his name but I didn't get the impression it was. Tony talks cobblers but he doesn't ramble like that bloke did. Unless he'd just got back from the pub. ;-)

Good to hear Nick not buying into the OTT Mandela coverage.

Nick has had a few (talking cobblers) tonight. Is it a full moon?
  • HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pwuz wrote: »
    5 times? Well maybe. Hard to tell without specifics. FWIW, I did the opposite. I moved from a rich Western nation (France) to a former Soviet state (Estonia) and took a pay cut of 50%. Didn't seem to make any difference to my approach to my work, plus one lives in the economy in a place and is paid relative to that.

In fact, despite earning half as much as I used to I am a bit better off generally due to rent and services being cheaper. Food went up when Estonia moved to the Euro and electronic goods are the same price as everywhere, so rather prohibitively expensive for people in this economy.

But I do think matters are a little more nuanced than claiming Lithuanians only work well because they get paid more. That will have a little to do with it, but they also have to use that pay in the UK while they live and work there, thus spending it much more quickly as well. I think the main factor is that of work ethic and the sense of entitlement. UK has had it quite easy for so long some people have got used to swinging the lead.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    But Question Time was on yesterday, it was just broadcast a bit later. I thought Nick Ferrari came across as quite ignorant on many of the issues and tried covered it up by making populist, playing to the gallery comments.

Unfortunately that age old problem of work got in the way of my viewing pleasure & I had to turn in after an already long day I had to be up again in morning ...the info I saw today was that it had been cancelled but thank u I will check on iPlayer. They shouldn't be going to SA next either.....
    Sorry but no way is the coverage anything to do with any sort of commerce or trade between the UK and SA it's just mawkish overkill their politics are not that vital to everyday GB especially with the dubious past and corruption of their public figures it should be kept well away from us.

In reply to makeba all the coverage on EVERY channel was ridiculous and the deifing of Mandela an embarrassment.....my sw news headline tonight was people in Devon and Cornwall mourn Mandela......just not necessary....and they do this too much for a lot of famous people...

Mrs Thatcher was at least a former UK pm....the first nights coverage also maybe too much but tailed off quickly.....but the endless embarrassing politician's and celebs and anyone who may have waved at Mandela on his balcony giving their tributes to anyone who died are also lame and SA is so far away from being relevant to UK today....
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    In reply to makeba all the coverage on EVERY channel was ridiculous and the deifing of Mandela an embarrassment.....my sw news headline tonight was people in Devon and Cornwall mourn Mandela......just not necessary....and they do this too much for a lot of famous people...

Mrs Thatcher was at least a former UK pm....the first nights coverage also maybe too much but tailed off quickly.....but the endless embarrassing politician's and celebs and anyone who may have waved at Mandela on his balcony giving their tributes to anyone who died are also lame and SA is so far away from being relevant to UK today....

Hi again

As a reader of Private Eye, I'm not going to defend OTT coverage of anyone's death, or cynical jumps onto bandwagons. However, I will argue that Mandela is more deserving than Thatcher was. He was a massive international figure, the very essence of the word noble, who did marvellous work around the globe.

I think it's a little bit parochial to say that Thatcher deserved it more simply by dint of being a UK PM. Mandela as an amazing human being is relevant to us all, regardless of nationality, IMO. And, forgive me, but I just don't think it's true that Thatcher coverage tailed off quickly after the first night. It went on for ages.

At the end of the day, though, this coverage on LBC shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. They are unashamedly looking to mimic the rolling news TV stations, and quite happily repeat topics again and again, on the basis of listeners who dip in and out, rather than listen for prolonged periods. Gone are the days of 'appointments to listen', sadly.
    Forum Member
    In reply to makeba all the coverage on EVERY channel was ridiculous and the deifing of Mandela an embarrassment.....my sw news headline tonight was people in Devon and Cornwall mourn Mandela......just not necessary......

Tried reading a book or something? Or maybe ITV.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the people who feel that the death of Nelson Mandela is taking up too much airtime would like to tell us what they would rather be hearing?

People mopping their doorsteps and wringing out their carpets, or Nigella's latest drug confessions for example?
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we try to chat about LBC. the Thunderbirds march for example
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Hi again

As a reader of Private Eye, I'm not going to defend OTT coverage of anyone's death, or cynical jumps onto bandwagons. However, I will argue that Mandela is more deserving than Thatcher was. He was a massive international figure, the very essence of the word noble, who did marvellous work around the globe.

There was as much, if not more, coverage of and interest in Thatcher's death because she was such a divisive figure. Mandela was, in later life, a good, noble man, almost beyond criticism. There's only so much to be said, and only so much any listener/viewer can take of people lining up to praise him. Thatcher, on the other hand, evoked a much wider response, ranging from adoration to blind hatred, which was a more interesting reaction and generated far more discussion and argument. And, TBH, her Premiership affected more people's lives in this country than did Mandela's.

Morning all. :)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope Katie Hopkins doesn't come to LBC following ITV dropping her after a petition was made. There are also petitions to drop her from other channels.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I am no great fan of Vanessa Feltz but I decided to listen to her programme about Mandela rather than J O'B and quite enjoyed it. She had a range of very interesting callers. That was because the emphasis was on memories and personal experience of meeting him rather than the politics. It isn't always this way. When it all gets Mumsy or women versus men, I can't listen to her. But yesterday the show was good. Earlier I listened to SA. Later it was R4!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Where you of the same mind with the Thatcher coverage? Will you be the same when the Queen pops her clogs?

This is just what the rolling news format does these days. No matter who it is, really. That said, and as I say above, Mandela held an almost unique position, so the coverage, still less than 24-hours old, was always going to be pretty full-on.

Yes I was of the same mind over coverage of Thatcher's death, and the last royal baby (24 hour coverage of the outside of a hospital) and several more 'stories'.

I don't confuse the importance of an event with the volume of coverage. I can understand that 'person x' was important in a few minutes. 23 hours and 55 minutes additional coverage add no additional value.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was as much, if not more, coverage of and interest in Thatcher's death because she was such a divisive figure. Mandela was, in later life, a good, noble man, almost beyond criticism. There's only so much to be said, and only so much any listener/viewer can take of people lining up to praise him. Thatcher, on the other hand, evoked a much wider response, ranging from adoration to blind hatred, which was a more interesting reaction and generated far more discussion and argument. And, TBH, her Premiership affected more people's lives in this country than did Mandela's.

Morning all. :)

I think you underestimate how highly the public view Nelson Mandela. A recent YouGov poll showed that he was the most respected political figure of the 20th Century, joint top with Churchill and some way ahead of Margaret Thatcher. I think the extensive coverage of Mandela's death and legacy is in keeping with the public's mood and affection for the man, although perhaps not in keeping with that of many on this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »
    5 times? Well maybe. Hard to tell without specifics. FWIW, I did the opposite. I moved from a rich Western nation (France) to a former Soviet state (Estonia) and took a pay cut of 50%. Didn't seem to make any difference to my approach to my work, plus one lives in the economy in a place and is paid relative to that.

In fact, despite earning half as much as I used to I am a bit better off generally due to rent and services being cheaper. Food went up when Estonia moved to the Euro and electronic goods are the same price as everywhere, so rather prohibitively expensive for people in this economy.

But I do think matters are a little more nuanced than claiming Lithuanians only work well because they get paid more. That will have a little to do with it, but they also have to use that pay in the UK while they live and work there, thus spending it much more quickly as well. I think the main factor is that of work ethic and the sense of entitlement. UK has had it quite easy for so long some people have got used to swinging the lead.

From many reports I think its about 4-5 times.

I'm only going from my personal experience. Lots of eastern Europeans joined where I used to work, they were happy to work a few extra hours unpaid each day and the occasional weekend. I refused to do so, after being signed off for exhaustion / stress, and was therefore seen as an under performer and sacked.

I think the euro experiment has failed as it is allowing free movement between countries with very different living standards.

Of course management and the upper class love these new migrants as they get more work done for less and allows for wages to be suppressed for another decade.

Germany and France knew that the Polish people would decimate their workforce overnight that's why they used the 7 year block. Blair didn't use this, encouraged them over and the elites have benefited.

There are some eastern europeans that just send over the husband, they live in a shoddy cheap place and work at saving money. A guy at my old work was saying in just four years of working in the UK he can save up enough to buy a house outright back home.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I find with these things that any emotional response is tied quite closely to peoples' own lives.

Whatever people feel about Margaret Thatcher, she was a part of all our lives for more than a decade. Mandela is the same. Not everyone was emotionally involved but many were. For me, he is closely linked to music events I attended in the 1980s and a range of other things. I felt upset when I heard the news. More so that I expected.

I want to listen to a lot of the news and the thoughts of other people to reminisce, see where other people were coming from at the time and get a more rounded picture. In 24-48 hours, I've worked it through my system. Then it all feels a bit like saturation. The media continues with it for 10 days. My mind has moved on to something else.
This discussion has been closed.