Options

Advice in Retail

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
Forum Member
How would you personally go about asking for a pay rise or more hours in retail having been given more responsibility and a new role but have heard financial issues aren't permitting increases in wages ATM. I work for a massive nationwide company.

My store manager has informed me I should be aiming for higher wages etc and a managerial role in future. Does this give me leverage in the meantime when my contract renewal talks come up? Should I say If I can't have a pay rise now than can I have managerial training instead right now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your terms of employment? I also work for a huge technology chain, but as a permanent employee. Are you on a temporary contract? If so, I cannot understand why the manager would recommend management to you. Contract renewal indicates that they can choose not to keep you as an employee so, consequently, I wouldn't push my luck, unless you have another job to go to, and you need a higher wage.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would you personally go about asking for a pay rise or more hours in retail having been given more responsibility and a new role but have heard financial issues aren't permitting increases in wages ATM. I work for a massive nationwide company.

My store manager has informed me I should be aiming for higher wages etc and a managerial role in future. Does this give me leverage in the meantime when my contract renewal talks come up? Should I say If I can't have a pay rise now than can I have managerial training instead right now?

Thanks.

Fairly normal in retail, you get extra responsibility but no extra wage for that, and your unlikely to either, they have just got you to take on extra work without having to pay you any extra and as long as they can do it they will, even management in retail don't tend to be on great wages either but get a load of crap thrown at them.

I turned down a management role, I didn't think the £500 a year extra was worth all the hassle that went with the role.

Though if you want to have management training it doesn't hurt to ask, same with a pay rise...worst they can say is no.