Options

The Murdoch empire stoops to a new low.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this story wasn't so sad & utterly repugant (with now the Soham Girls, the London bombing victims & even Sarah Payne's mum being mentioned) I'd have found it quite amusing hearing some absolute idiot from the NOTW commenting that "they are merely allegations at this stage" and that they will not comment on allegations or speculation?

Since when chap?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky News now reporting that victims and families of the 7/7 bombings had their phones hacked into.

The anniversary tomorrow too.

Can they sink lower?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Mulcaire in an ordinary prison, or a VIP one? If the former, he now surely has to be moved to the nonce wing, where they keep the folk whose fellow inmates would otherwise cut their penises off and shove them up their arses. It's becoming clear that NewsInt intend to chuck him to the lions in order to protect the higher-ups.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News International hand emails to the police concerning payments to the police for information.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/07/coulson-admitted-police-2003

This has always been the most important aspect of this ongoing story for me. The payment of police officers for information.
    Yes, it surprises me taht more has not been said on this.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I find it strange that the information handed over by NI about police payments was not done so in the previous investigation into 'celeb' hacking.:eek:

I've a feeling that this whole thing goes far deeper that the odd 'hack' I think it goes to police corruption and political 'favours' for Murdoch.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point moaning about it, or expecting any form of meaningful action from the authorities. Just don't buy or read the company's product.

^ ^
    Your all culpable if you don't.Supporting a corrupt organisation.Is there anybody out there that can reasonably argue about this.

If you have any ethical standards you should stop buying anything to do with News Corp. straight away.News Corp. (+ BSkyB) share prices are dropping so surely this is an indication that demand for News International products are going to fall already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it strange that the information handed over by NI about police payments was not done so in the previous investigation into 'celeb' hacking.:eek:

I've a feeling that this whole thing goes far deeper that the odd 'hack' I think it goes to police corruption and political 'favours' for Murdoch.

You do wonder just how far up this goes. Who knew numbers were being "sold"? When it was discovered that they had been, what action was taken? Was any evidence (of any of this at any stage) supressed and, if so, by whom? Was political or business or other financial advantage gained by anyone? If so, by whom and who knew?

You also wonder if we'll ever get answers to any of the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following e-mail to News Of The World staff from it's current Editor Colin Myler has been made public:

Dear Colleague

I know you will be as appalled as I am by claims that a private investigator working for the News of the World intercepted the voicemails of Milly Dowler, victims of the 7/7 atrocity and others.

We are urgently trying to establish the truth of these allegations which, if proved, would amount to the most unimaginable breach of journalistic ethics.

Understandably, there is a great deal of anger directed towards this newspaper as a result of what happened in some cases as far back as nine years ago

While this is unfair and extremely upsetting for all of you who had nothing to do with these activities, we have to accept and deal with those criticisms.

Inevitably, there is an extremely painful period ahead while we get to the bottom of these issues and atone for the wrong doing that took place in the past.

But please be aware that I am extremely proud of your loyalty and commitment , the work we have done, and continue to do, to ensure that nothing like this should happen again. I am also proud of the great, honest, journalism that continues to win awards and make a positive difference to people's lives.

We are the paper that campaigned to enshrine the Military Covenant in law, fought for ten years to establish Sarah's Law into legislation, the paper of Children's Champions, the paper that has fought tirelessly against bullying and so much more.

As Rebekah said in her statement yesterday, News International will pursue the facts with vigour and integrity.

Please be assured that, as Editor, I will do everything in my power to restore the News of the World's reputation for fair, accurate and, most importantly, responsible journalism.

Colin Myler

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Radio Vet wrote: »
    Halifax and npower are also reported as pulling their ads from the paper.

...along with Mitsubishi, the Coop, Virgin Media and others. That, and a public boycott, should promote reform in both the NOTW and News International.

I'm in the clear as I don't buy News International papers (it's the Independent and the i for me) and my TV satellite system is a free to air one so the corrupt and morally bankrupt Murdoch Empire gets nothing from me!

It was reported in the Independent today that the NOTW's direct line phone numbers had been posted on the internet and that had resulted in very many members of the public ringing in, venting their spleen and using the odd bad word or two over this appalling lack of judgement. Morale was said to be low at the paper because of the abuse from the public but they only brought it upon themselves by their unconscionable behaviour.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    MoodyGuy wrote: »

Please be assured that, as Editor, I will do everything in my power to restore the News of the World's reputation for fair, accurate and, most importantly, responsible journalism.

Colin Myler

[/I]

Restore :D:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rupert Murdoch is fully supporting Rebekah Brooks, is this because if he sacked her she would have so much dirt on him even more would come out. At least by keeping her on he can control her. Also he will not do anything till his takeover of BSkyB is in the bag!
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely Disgusted with these recent findings

there is a Facebook group in protest. apologises if it has been posted already

https://www.facebook.com/boycottNOTW

3000 joined in 1 day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently after a "tearful" Rebekah Brooks told the staff at The News Of The World that this Sunday's edition would be the last, the current Editor Colin Myker asked her to leave the building. Good for him.

500 staff said to be "angry and mutinous" inside the News International building at Wapping as they face losing their jobs because of someone else's misdemeanours.

Some may transfer to the apparent successor, reported to be called "The Sun On Sunday", but not many will. Effectively, The Sun will become a 7-day-a-week newspaper with significant cost savings for Murdoch.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    MoodyGuy wrote: »
    Apparently after a "tearful" Rebekah Brooks told the staff at The News Of The World that this Sunday's edition would be the last, the current Editor Colin Myker asked her to leave the building. Good for him.

500 staff said to be "angry and mutinous" inside the News International building at Wapping as they face losing their jobs because of someone else's misdemeanours.

Some may transfer to the apparent successor, reported to be called "The Sun On Sunday", but not many will. Effectively, The Sun will become a 7-day-a-week newspaper with significant cost savings for Murdoch.

Indeed, MoodyGuy, and there's a lot of relevant analysis and comment on today's edition of PM here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012bxk8#synopsis
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what has emerged so far is that phone hacking (usually attributed to MI5 and MI6 for security reasons, or so they say) has been going on for some years. Furthermore, the back-handers paid by newspapers to police officers for inside information is also nothing new. Now that it has all come out, there are numerous red faces in the media as well as Government and the Home Office.

None of these public bodies can no longer pretend that they did not know it was going on. A public enquiry is needed now, and a few heads will roll too.

And yes, News Corp owned by the Murdoch family MUST NOT be permitted to buy up the remaining shares in BSKYB. They cannot be allowed to control a massive part of the media which would be detrimental to a free society within a democracy because if they did, they would become "The Enemy Within" and be in a position to control too much of the media and influence Government and introduce "Doublethink" as envisaged in George Orwell's nightmarish novel !984.

The new few months, even years will tell though, and it will be up to brave independent individuals to oppose the Murdoch family and keep the media independent and well disciplined too, working within the law.