Alternative Queen's speech - privatise the BBC

2»

Comments

• zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Privatise the BBC = Scrap the BBC.

It's the same thing really. The 3 letters "BBC" would remain of course but what makes the BBC the BBC is the absence of private firms running it.

Same as with the NHS, a "private NHS" is a contradiction in terms.

In fact keeping the licence fee and letting a private firm run the BBC would be the worst of all possible set-ups.A private firm with guaranteed public money is lazy and 3rd-rate.

Any worse than the way the government lest private firms run sections of toll roads for profit, with those tolls enforced by the government?

The anti-BBC posters here keep on saying the BBC isn't essential but roads are, so private for profit roads run by legally enforced tolls is actually worse!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An article about a bunch of right wing loons in the Tory party who also want to bring back the death penalty. Not much to read here really. Mind you if they are so for privatisation why not privatise the Queen?
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Far better to get rid of the BBC wastage of money & keep HRH the Queen, she & her family bring loads of tourists into the UK.
    :yawn::rolleyes:No she doesn't. France has far more tourists than we do. People visit the royal buildings not the royal family and even then these royal buildings bring in far less tourism than many other tourist detinations in this Country. The BBC on the other hand is fantastic for the British economy.

Or keep both the BBC and the Queen :D.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    See the Train Operating Companies for an example. Or any of the scammers running the Welfare to Work (i.e. "Indentured Servitude for Profit") Program.

"Privatisation" seems these days to mean 'Corporate Welfare'. Where efficient and economical Public Service Provision is the goal, 'The Market' has repeatedly demonstrated that is actually a pretty sh*t operating model most of the time.

I couldn't agree more, the word "privatisation" these days just has the effect of making bosses mega rich, and service users getting fleeced.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't favour privatising the BBC, but it does too much and the quality is suffering. I was watching Watchdog the other night and I can remember when Nicky Campbell interrogated the MD of Peugeot UK over a lethal fault on their cars and forcing him to do something about it. This week's was little more than presenters gooning about, loud music, some old clips and graphics, there was very little of the old spirit of the show.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I don't favour privatising the BBC, but it does too much and the quality is suffering. I was watching Watchdog the other night and I can remember when Nicky Campbell interrogated the MD of Peugeot UK over a lethal fault on their cars and forcing him to do something about it. This week's was little more than presenters gooning about, loud music, some old clips and graphics, there was very little of the old spirit of the show.
    cant help but feel, that that is not a budget issue, just the show being taken in the wrong direction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I would love this to become official Tory party policy.

If it did, there would be no chance of them getting in again.