Options

Is it worth the money to upgrade from DVD to Blu Ray

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
I wanted some peoples opinions on whether you think it is worth me upgrading my DVD movie collection to Blu Ray.

Is the quality much more superior or only slightly so?

Are more obscure movies generally released to Blu Ray, or is it only old classics and new films?

Thanks a lot all. I just wanted to really know if it's worth the upgrade. I love watching movies at home and want the best possible viewing experience.

Laurence

Comments

• Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i have started upgrading mine to Blu Ray as you put it,its the best possible viewing experience out there at the moment,saying that by the time i get through upgrading i bet another format will have arrived,haha
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if your player upscales the picture i wouldn't bother with replacing your DVD's, as it's just as good ..... to me anyway, as i have a plasma tv .....

although bluray looks stunning
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    if your player upscales the picture i wouldn't bother with replacing your DVD's, as it's just as good ..... to me anyway, as i have a plasma tv .....

although bluray looks stunning

upscaling is nothing like Blu Ray it cant add detail to a picture that isnt there
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth it in my opinion. DVD is a standard definition format and, therefore, incapable of bringing out the best in an HDTV.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am tempted to start bringing in Blu Ray as the price of the discs is starting to get cheaper. Th discs for the Disney classics films is as low as £10. A couple of years back they would have been £15 or more.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been able to compare them directly. I received 'The Hunger Games - Catching Fire' as a Christmas present. The pack includes both Bluray and DVD versions (why anyone would want both is debatable, but it allowed this comparison). Played on my Philips HDTV and Pioneer BD Player, connected by a decent HDMI cable, both give excellent results. Certainly, anyone watching the DVD in isolation would not be disappointed. If you have a smaller TV, such as 30" or less, I doubt whether you would be able to tell the difference. On a larger TV, however, it shows. The gradation is smoother, the detail finer and, subjectively at least, the colour superior. The larger the screen, the greater the difference because DVD's limitations will show more and more, while Bluray simply retains its quality. Bluray also has more sophisticated sound capability - but whether you can make the most of that depends on your equipment.

When I saw the film in the cinema, it was at the nearest IMAX venue. Because it is a widescreen film, it was shown letterboxed. The sequence in the arena, however, broadened the image out to fill the IMAX screen. The Bluray disc does this as well. As Katniss rises through the tube to her pedestal, the black bars slide away out of sight and the screen is filled. The DVD is letterboxed throughout, just like it would have been in a regular cinema.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is definitely worth going from DVD to Bluray.

But it might be worth going for digital copies rather than Hard copies, as there will probably be another upgrade in quality in the next few years.

Personally I prefer to have a hard drive full of Hi-Res films rather than a shelf full of Discs.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Digital is the future. I have filled up my shelves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely worth going from DVD to Bluray.

But it might be worth going for digital copies rather than Hard copies, as there will probably be another upgrade in quality in the next few years.

Personally I prefer to have a hard drive full of Hi-Res films rather than a shelf full of Discs.

Ive had far too many Hard Drives fail to even go that route,look after a disc and it last's a long time,hard drives fail and die,digitally for me cloud copies seem to be the future,
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're in the market for a replacement DVD player, you might as well buy a Blu-ray player. They aren't very expensive now. The one I'm using (Toshiba BDX1300) cost £32 from Asda. I have about 30 films on Blu now., nearly all old favourites that I'm likely to watch several more times.

The difference in picture quality between the DVD version and the Blu vary widely from film to film, but I would say that the picture quality of every Blu I have is noticeably better than the DVD version I previously used. Bear in mind the fact that just as a film on DVD may be re-released in an improved state (sometimes more than once), the same applies to Blu-rays (eg The Terminator). Beware of buying older inferior versions. Always check out online reviews beforehand. These are useful sites:-

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/#Review

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8217/the_terminator_remastered_2013.html

Summary:- If you have much of an interest in films I think it is worth getting a Blu-ray player. Just be careful which discs you buy.

Btw, regarding DVDs as clutter..... I know the current trend is to go all digital, but I have loads of older favourite tv series on DVD (most of which are unlikely to ever be re-released in any other format) that I want to keep. The space issue doesn't matter. All my DVDs/Blus are in their original packaging in two bookcases, don't get in the way, and imo look good anyway. It would only be a snag if I was moving house on a regular basis, which isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital is the future. I have filled up my shelves.

It's all digital. DVD isn't analogue.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all digital. DVD isn't analogue.

Will 'non-disc' do?
  • Options
    Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion no it's definitely not worth upgrading your entire collection.
    Yes Blu-Ray provides the best viewing experience but most B/R players will upscale your DVD's making them so close to HD you'll barely notice the difference, plus I think Blu-Rays are only really beneficial with high graphical stuff with epic scenery and photography and big special effects etc, the benefits in my opinion do not justify the extra cost of Blu-ray Discs which is still substantially more than DVD's which you can now pick up for peanuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion no it's definitely not worth upgrading your entire collection.
    Yes Blu-Ray provides the best viewing experience but most B/R players will upscale your DVD's making them so close to HD you'll barely notice the difference, plus I think Blu-Rays are only really beneficial with high graphical stuff with epic scenery and photography and big special effects etc, the benefits in my opinion do not justify the extra cost of Blu-ray Discs which is still substantially more than DVD's which you can now pick up for peanuts.

Considering anything filmed on 32mm film is well above 1080p resolution,Blu Ray improves any films look,in fact one of the nicest looking BD i have is The Wizard of Oz and that is from 1939

Also Upscaling adds to the pixel count it doesn't add any more clarity to the picture,as it cant add what isn't there in the first place
  • Options
    Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering anything filmed on 32mm film is well above 1080p resolution,Blu Ray improves any films look,in fact one of the nicest looking BD i have is The Wizard of Oz and that is from 1939

Also Upscaling adds to the pixel count it doesn't add any more clarity to the picture,as it cant add what isn't there in the first place

Not disputing any of that just saying that when viewing in my opinion there isn't a vast difference in a lot of cases, I understand it will depend on the size screen you're viewing on as you get better clarity when the picture is less stretched.

Blu-ray's are better without question but I'm just saying I don't think the improvement is enough to justify the cost of upgrading a entire collection when dvd's especially when upscaled on a B/R player provide perfectly adequate quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's down to whether to upgrade your entire collection, then I'd hang on for a while and skip Blu-ray. As 4K is bound to become more commonplace soon and I can see a situation when after you've upgraded all your collection to Blu-Ray everyone's watching 4K and you'll be asking whether to upgrade your new Blu-Ray collection to 4K or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not disputing any of that just saying that when viewing in my opinion there isn't a vast difference in a lot of cases, I understand it will depend on the size screen you're viewing on as you get better clarity when the picture is less stretched.

Blu-ray's are better without question but I'm just saying I don't think the improvement is enough to justify the cost of upgrading a entire collection when dvd's especially when upscaled on a B/R player provide perfectly adequate quality.

I Doubt the OP will upgrade his entire collection anyway as i bet if hes like myself will have some titles on DVD that will be extremely lucky to ever get a BD release,but if you really want the best quality possible then Blu Ray is the only way to go especially if your buying a latest release,i only started buying titles i already had on DVD when they were films i like and when they were at a really great price point(CEX is useful for getting older titles for very cheap prices or places like Cash Converters),Upscaling a DVD is still using a 480i image at the end of the day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's down to whether to upgrade your entire collection, then I'd hang on for a while and skip Blu-ray. As 4K is bound to become more commonplace soon and I can see a situation when after you've upgraded all your collection to Blu-Ray everyone's watching 4K and you'll be asking whether to upgrade your new Blu-Ray collection to 4K or not.

that is one of the things i think about(do i really want to play the upgrade merry go round again to another format) but i reckon im at least 8-9 years away from a upgrade to 4K and by then i reckon we will be in a Digital Download situation for 4K so i suspect that BD may be there for a long while yet,like DVD is still in my collection and will be there for a long time to come
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive had far too many Hard Drives fail to even go that route,look after a disc and it last's a long time,hard drives fail and die,digitally for me cloud copies seem to be the future,

I always keep two hard drives on the go so if one goes I've got a back up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is one of the things i think about(do i really want to play the upgrade merry go round again to another format) but i reckon im at least 8-9 years away from a upgrade to 4K and by then i reckon we will be in a Digital Download situation for 4K so i suspect that BD may be there for a long while yet,like DVD is still in my collection and will be there for a long time to come

I'm not sure if 4K will be 8-9 years away. Sometimes it's not easy to tell. It may be sooner, it may be later. But you may be right. On occasion though these sorts of things sometimes get an industry push.
    I think if you have some favourites that you'd love to watch in higher definition then just start with them with Blu-Ray. As opposed to thinking about updating everything all in one go. Then at least you won't have broken the bank if 4K becomes popular quicker than expected.

It's an endless cycle though, because once 4K becomes a popular format 8K is just peeping around the corner.:D And from all accounts 8K is truly stunning.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Yes it is worth it. The people who claim some magical up scaling on DVDs is as good are deluded or blind. Watching a film in which you can see the writing of a shop sign in the background in crystal clear detail never gets old.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I had doubts when it first started (can it be that good?) until a friend showed the difference between the Wall-e DVD - decent enough of course - and the BR.

Jaw/floor.

So yeah, go for it. But don't get too enamoured with it. It goes without saying that image quality can't turn a bad film into a good one, no matter what level it's at.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think it's worth having a physical film collection at all anymore. I sold all my dvds last year and haven't looked back - Netflix and Amazon Prime nicely supplement my tv package.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd just stick with a decent upscaling DVD player & get summit like Netflix, Amazon or NowTV! 😊
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the film is renowned for fantastic cinematography or the DVD transfer was particular poor then it is pointless getting the Blu-ray version if you already have the DVD. By all means buy a Blu-ray player because they also have decent upscalers. I think I have bought the Blu-ray versions of (a sum total of) two already owned DVDs from my entire collection.

As others have said, the industry is moving away from owning a physical film collection so I tend to only buy the odd Blu-ray now for films I really think are top notch and am happy to watch the remainder via Netflix etc.