Options

One star review for Taken 3 on Digital Spy plus other media sites

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a619538/taken-3-review-as-hackneyed-and-unashamedly-cynical-as-sequels-get.html#~p0HJLdeDVk9OE4

Bit harsh. Never seen DS give a film one star.

A quick search of google gives bad reviews too. I reckon the media are just bored of the franchise.

Personally I can't wait to see this film :)

Comments

• Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think Neeson has done far too many action movies of late, lots of take-the-money-and-run kind of roles, where he barely even seems to act at all, just plays himself.

Since the first Taken movie, (a serviceable action/thriller at best, directed by a hack action movie director who cut his teeth on the other dodgy action movies) he seems to have caught the publics imagination as an action here, and it sees Hollywood's perception is that this is all the public wants to see him do.

Kind of sad, because he is capable of much more.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    True, but what else in on offer for him? You can see him doing these actioners to keep his profile up and maybe get better, classier roles later on. You do hear about roles for the more elderly actors drying up these days, so he has to show he's still in there pitching, so to speak.

He'll probably show his chops dying of cancer or whatever in some critic-friendly indie award-hauler. And he could always do his stint as a sinister corporate type in a Marvel film of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but what else in on offer for him? You can see him doing these actioners to keep his profile up and maybe get better, classier roles later on. You do hear about roles for the more elderly actors drying up these days, so he has to show he's still in there pitching, so to speak.

He'll probably show his chops dying of cancer or whatever in some critic-friendly indie award-hauler. And he could always do his stint as a sinister corporate type in a Marvel film of course.

To be fair, the man is 62 and has been acting for over 35 years.

In films like Schindlers List, Michael Collins, Darkman, The Big Man etc he has shown he can act in dramatic roles.

Not only is he getting a bit long in the tooth for action roles, but if he keeps taking these sorts of roles on a regular basis and does not shake off the action-role tag, the public will cease to accept him in anything else.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ Yes, very true. There lies the danger.

Let's hope he gets a chance to prove himself again - assuming he wants to of course.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he does undemanding tosh like this because they are fun to make and are emotionally demanding and so help to keep his mind off the death of his wife? If you've have a heartbreaking personal tragedy then I don't think that you would want to make a serious film about similar themes.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigitalSpy also gave 'Dumb and Dumber To' one star and I thought that was a decent enough comedy.

I never take anything they rate seriously. They praise films to the God and then give it 3 stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think Neeson has done far too many action movies of late, lots of take-the-money-and-run kind of roles, where he barely even seems to act at all, just plays himself.

Since the first Taken movie, (a serviceable action/thriller at best, directed by a hack action movie director who cut his teeth on the other dodgy action movies) he seems to have caught the publics imagination as an action here, and it sees Hollywood's perception is that this is all the public wants to see him do.

He's been in plenty of other films though Battleship, Lego Movie, The upcoming Ted 2. Hardly plays action guy all the time just the media ignore these movies.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's another way to look at it. The guy lost his wife, unexpectedly. He probably has a very different outlook on life now, than back when he was all about the art. If I were him, I'd take the money for easy work. Why not? When life starts taking away more than it gives, then you need to start grabbing whatever's available when it presents.

Let's face it, most of us take money over artistic integrity. Based off the fact that most of us don't do anything artistic to make ends meat.

So Liam Neeson made a shit film in order to earn a fat paycheque. I'd do it, too, if someone offered me the money. Anyone who chose otherwise hasn't considered their own mortality enough.

Still, shame if the film is crap. But I guess I'll live.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    There's another way to look at it. The guy lost his wife, unexpectedly. He probably has a very different outlook on life now, than back when he was all about the art. If I were him, I'd take the money for easy work. Why not? When life starts taking away more than it gives, then you need to start grabbing whatever's available when it presents.

Let's face it, most of us take money over artistic integrity. Based off the fact that most of us don't do anything artistic to make ends meat.

So Liam Neeson made a shit film in order to earn a fat paycheque. I'd do it, too, if someone offered me the money. Anyone who chose otherwise hasn't considered their own mortality enough.

Still, shame if the film is crap. But I guess I'll live.

Only flaw in that is I would assume he had plenty of money already. I can hardly think of him scrapping by week to week, he doesnt NEED to work again, so something is drawing them to it, like his greed for more money. He is the new (or old, depends how you look at it) Nicola Cage.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched an interview with him this morning of good morning America. The interviewer brought up his role in Love Actually (Americans are obsessed with the film. Every Christmas it on a few times). He replied that he'd love to so more romantic roles instead of more action roles. So maybe he'll do another romantic film soon.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would also be fair to lay the blame at the feet of Olivier Megaton, the director of Taken 2 and 3 for both films being shit. He simply cannot direct action films. Further proof of this is Transporter 3 (so bad it killed the franchise) and Colombiana, all awful films and yet somehow he continues to ruin potentially good action thrillers with his erratic and confusing directing style. That Taken 3 is getting awful reviews is no surprise, I was expecting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I think it would also be fair to lay the blame at the feet of Olivier Megaton, the director of Taken 2 and 3 for both films being shit. He simply cannot direct action films. Further proof of this is Transporter 3 (so bad it killed the franchise) and Colombiana, all awful films and yet somehow he continues to ruin potentially good action thrillers with his erratic and confusing directing style. That Taken 3 is getting awful reviews is no surprise, I was expecting it.

Agreed.

One of those directors who seems to have a knack of positioning and moving the cameras, and editing in such a way that you never really see what is happening properly.

Essentially it's a deliberate style of filmmaking to mask the deficiencies in the directors ability.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Most reviewers don't like the neutering of what are supposed to be violent films. They were never meant to be anything else.

The Taken 2 DVD was enjoyable and 3 probably will be too. Just avoid the family versions and go in expecting slightly daft and violent actions.

Empire gave 2 and 3 two stars but the original only one star though so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Most reviewers don't like the neutering of what are supposed to be violent films. They were never meant to be anything else.

Yep and how many movies do that now? Almost all box office boxes to maximise profits. They always do an uncut DVD anyway. They also gave this movie 1 star:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a615493/dumb-and-dumber-to-review-depressingly-dumb.html#~p0ZSZCdqBAATZO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished watching A Walk Among The Tombstones.

I much preferred this to the Taken movies.

It's not an action movie, it's a drama/thriller about a cop who quits the force after killing someone by accident, and also because of a drinking habit. He sets himself up as a non-professional private eye, and is asked to help a guy who's wife has been kidnapped.

But, the husband is a major drug dealer, and there seems to be a couple of renegade DEA agents kidnapping drug dealers family members, torturing and killing them.

It's a good movie, not perfect. A little slow, but yet captivating. The twists and turns keep you hooked, and there are some memorable characters...particularly the two killers, who are seriously sick individuals. Dan Steven's is very good as one of the drug dealers.

There is a point later in the movie where it looks like the filmmakers could not resist the temptation to ape the Taken movies, but not to the detriment of the movie.

I would rather see Neeson doing movies like this, with a more believable, fleshed-out character and a decent story.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an interview with him this morning of good morning America. The interviewer brought up his role in Love Actually (Americans are obsessed with the film. Every Christmas it on a few times). He replied that he'd love to so more romantic roles instead of more action roles. So maybe he'll do another romantic film soon.

A romantic comedy might be tricky because of his age since the demographic for that sort of films is fairly young but he should go for it just to change perceptions.

It's not an action movie, it's a drama/thriller about a cop who quits the force after killing someone by accident, and also because of a drinking habit. He sets himself up as a non-professional private eye, and is asked to help a guy who's wife has been kidnapped.

But, the husband is a major drug dealer, and there seems to be a couple of renegade DEA agents kidnapping drug dealers family members, torturing and killing them.

It's a good movie, not perfect. A little slow, but yet captivating. The twists and turns keep you hooked, and there are some memorable characters...particularly the two killers, who are seriously sick individuals. Dan Steven's is very good as one of the drug dealers.

There is a point later in the movie where it looks like the filmmakers could not resist the temptation to ape the Taken movies, but not to the detriment of the movie.

I would rather see Neeson doing movies like this, with a more believable, fleshed-out character and a decent story.

A Walk Among the Tombstones didn't do well box office wise but I do agree it was a good part for Neeson. He should do more comedy, his cameo in Anchorman 2 was great and he was decent in A Million Way to Die in the West.

Run All Night looks alright but very similar to what he's done in his non Taken action films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You may also enjoy this upcoming movie then:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a620529/liam-neeson-is-an-ageing-hitman-in-first-run-all-night-trailer.html

The movie you mentioned was good showed Neeson is a great actor I think Taken is a great movie you always hear people morning about second and third movies. Take Die Hard that got a few recent sequels but was only an average action movie maybe worse. Speed 2 was another flop.

So maybe Taken's sequels won't be remembered the same but Non Stop and Unknown are different movies and well worth a watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    A romantic comedy might be tricky because of his age since the demographic for that sort of films is fairly young but he should go for it just to change perceptions.

A Walk Among the Tombstones didn't do well box office wise but I do agree it was a good part for Neeson. He should do more comedy, his cameo in Anchorman 2 was great and he was decent in A Million Way to Die in the West.

Run All Night looks alright but very similar to what he's done in his non Taken action films.

Not a fan of the Anchorman films, and never saw A Million ways...

I agree the trailer for Run All Night does not bode well...it could either be a Taken clone or more of a low key drama with sporadic action scenes.

Regarding comedy, I loved this skit Leeson did on Life's Too Short...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTh7zBIcrM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam keeps getting criticised for doing action movies but nobody moans about Arnold Schwarzenegger and the upcoming Terminator movie.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam Neeson must of expected another blockbuster hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam keeps getting criticised for doing action movies but nobody moans about Arnold Schwarzenegger and the upcoming Terminator movie.

Oh please...there's a massive difference.

Arnie has never been an actor, he's a body and a personality that has gotten by on action movies and a few comedies.

Leeson is a legitimate actor, and had done a lot of dramatic roles before falling into his current penchant for action movies.

Bottom line is Neeson is capable of better, Arnie clearly is not.

Oh and by the way...look around...you will find plenty of people 'moaning' about the new terminator movie and Arnie's involvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please...there's a massive difference.

Arnie has never been an actor, he's a body and a personality that has gotten by on action movies and a few comedies.

Leeson is a legitimate actor, and had done a lot of dramatic roles before falling into his current penchant for action movies.

Bottom line is Neeson is capable of better, Arnie clearly is not.

Oh and by the way...look around...you will find plenty of people 'moaning' about the new terminator movie and Arnie's involvement.

A lot of people enjoy 'Taken' style movies so I reckon he will continue to do them. I believe he's always doing other movies anyway Ted 2 is out this year.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only one reason Liam did Taken 3, he was offered $20 million for it, and you'd have to be a fool to turn that down even if you know the end product is going to be poor. So fair play to him for taking the money and running, he's probably tired of doing action films too but you can't say no to a paycheck that size.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I wish he would make more thrillers like Unknown and Non-Stop, really enjoyed those two as it had you hooked from the start to the end.
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was in to see Taken 3 last night and it was even worse than Taken 2. I thought maybe they would get it back on track but.......nope.

Will view again if a harder cut is released.