Options

How do you "back up files"?

Almost embarrassingly simple question I suppose, especially on this forum, but I don't know how to and need to learn in case my laptop goes on the blink and I lose my photos and whatever else.

I don't have the usb stick or whatever. When I get one is it pretty straightforward? What do you save apart from photos and music files? Should you save on more than one stick?

Would appreciate a novice level rundown, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's pretty straightforward once you decide on what you want to back up. Windows does automate the basics if required.
    Read through this - http://uk.pcmag.com/backup-products-1/8647/guide/the-beginners-guide-to-pc-backup
    That will give you a basic understanding so that anything you are advised on here, will at least, make some sense. You don't have to do everything that's mentioned in the article, a basic file backup will keep your photo's etc. safe.
    Once you've read it come back with any questions.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the simplest form a Backup is just a copy of your files to an external storage medium like a DVD+RW, USB key drive, USB HDD drive, NAS box, Cloud Drive etc.

Does not matter what you use, but you have to do it. If you don't it is very easy just to lose the one copy if a HDD fails and it will, that you can be 100% sure of.

It is your choice whether to use a number of storage devices.

In your scenario you would plug in the USB keydrive, select the Folder with the File Explorer > Right Click Folder > Send To > USB drive(X:)

You could also Select Folder Drag and Drop to (X:) whatever way suits you. It's Windows, so several ways of doing the same thing.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree.

The "simplest" backup is to use a cloud storage service (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc), and just move your documents and pictures folders to the folder corresponding to the local copy of your stuff.

You add stuff to the folder, and it gets backed up, without a single click or even a thought.

A lot of them give you 5GB or 15GB for free.

I subscribe to Office 365 - so have 1TB of free OneDrive space.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a thought, really, with my upload speed it would take 4 GB, ~14 hours to upload to my cloud storage, but just 15 min to burn a DVD or copy to a USB key.

I'll stick with simple thinking.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost embarrassingly simple question I suppose, especially on this forum, but I don't know how to and need to learn in case my laptop goes on the blink and I lose my photos and whatever else.

I don't have the usb stick or whatever. When I get one is it pretty straightforward? What do you save apart from photos and music files? Should you save on more than one stick?

HI.
    Are you using windows, if so what version, Xp vista, win7 etc?
    Do you know roughly how much/many things you want backing up?
    How often do you add extra music/photos onto your laptop?
    Using the usb stick, copy/paste will work easily.
    General advice is you should really have at least two backups.

re
    'What do you save apart from photos and music files'
    in the ideal world a complete backup of the operating system is advised, but thats a bit more involved than copy/paste.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    I disagree.

The "simplest" backup is to use a cloud storage service (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc), and just move your documents and pictures folders to the folder correspkonding to the local copy of your stuff.

You add stuff to the folder, and it gets backed up, without a single click or even a thought.

A lot of them give you 5GB or 15GB for free.

I subscribe to Office 365 - so have 1TB of free OneDrive space.

Well that is opinion. It is simple enough but hardly simpler than just copying files to a flash drive or external usb.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first part of a good backup strategy is to work out whats important, the video of your kids first steps obviously is more important than some excel spreadsheet with the 1997 PL games and the scores as you can always recreate the later.

The more important the file is the more copies there should be of it and also they should be at multiple physical locations so that if something causes your house to be turned into dust you know you can just wander to your parents house and pick up something and the data is safe.

For most people i'd recommend an internet based backup for the more smaller files but do not just use one as like any business it could fold at any time and you will have lost your precious data, do check your internet plan and your ISP's upload rates as even with 1tb of data storage it might take a week or so to sync all those videos of the kids etc.

The best way to think is that you get the call that the house has burned down to the ground and the machine is a puddle of metal and someone hands you a fresh lappy can you get everything back you want? if not then sort it out and do test it now and again...rename a file and then try and restore it from a backup and if you can't then fix it before the mrs comes to chop off your bits with a rusty knife since you lost the last 10 years of photos/vids etc.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A word of warning – I once lost a load of treasured photos when I made a backup before installing a new hard disk. I think the problem was that I had identically named sub-directories and also duplicate file names within different directories. I seem to remember this being flagged up at the time, but I found it very difficult to understand the messages and also the implications of the various options. Since then, I have always made any backups manually via Windows Explorer and have never trusted any kind of automatic backup system.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Well that is opinion. It is simple enough but hardly simpler than just copying files to a flash drive or external usb.

Irrespective of simplest why not use both external and cloud backup? Then if your house burns down or is burgled you're not totally lost.

Some are nervous about cloud but can encrypt sensitive files before backing up if required. That's what I do but I only started doing it this year and wrote a script to automate it as a weekly schedule, while my local backup is daily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what if it rains?
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Apart from cloud storage and backing up files onto USB etc, I would start with a full system image backup using something like Macrium Reflect (free) which will save you loads of grief if something does go wrong with Windows or your hard drive. You can have it back working as you left it in 15-20 mins.
    You would need an external hard drive, £50 or less for a 1TB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been able to get Macrium Reflect to work and it also worries me when it gives me two choices of backup, as it doesn't explain what the difference is. I can't remember off-hand, what the two types are.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think of backing up as just copying all the files that you don't want to lose onto either a flash drive or burning (writing) them to a CD. In the case of a flash drive, once it's in a USB socket, just drag everything you want safe over to it in the window.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    A word of warning – I once lost a load of treasured photos when I made a backup before installing a new hard disk. I think the problem was that I had identically named sub-directories and also duplicate file names within different directories. I seem to remember this being flagged up at the time, but I found it very difficult to understand the messages and also the implications of the various options. Since then, I have always made any backups manually via Windows Explorer and have never trusted any kind of automatic backup system.

Same here. I've never had a computer automatically back anything up.
  • Options
    Rubby_WilliamRubby_William Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I do use Google Drive & Dropbox for back up files. But Backing up files with USB HDD Drive is also helpful.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

It is simpler, since you don't actually have to do anything. And any option that save you without user input, is the best option.

The chances are that you won't back up quite often enough. Even if you remember to manually back up once a month, you're still a month out of date if you have a problem. It also doesn't protect you if there's a fire/flood/burglary since there's a high chance your backup drive is buggered too.

I would put all important user files into cloud storage and forget about it. Yes, it'll take a while first time (leave it uploading overnight). Then do a manual backup of the whole system once a month or so if you really must.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    It is simpler, since you don't actually have to do anything. And any option that save you without user input, is the best option.

The chances are that you won't back up quite often enough. Even if you remember to manually back up once a month, you're still a month out of date if you have a problem. It also doesn't protect you if there's a fire/flood/burglary since there's a high chance your backup drive is buggered too.

I would put all important user files into cloud storage and forget about it. Yes, it'll take a while first time (leave it uploading overnight). Then do a manual backup of the whole system once a month or so if you really must.

Not if you carry it with you at all times and keep it on top of a cabinet next to your bed. What if your backup in the cloud gets hacked into and your stuff gets deleted? There's a small chance of that happening, I know. It could happen though.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just stick everything on a 2TB external hard drive and then a second external hard drive.

The back up has to be backed up. ;)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irrespective of simplest why not use both external and cloud backup? Then if your house burns down or is burgled you're not totally lost.

Some are nervous about cloud but can encrypt sensitive files before backing up if required. That's what I do but I only started doing it this year and wrote a script to automate it as a weekly schedule, while my local backup is daily.

Agreed - aways good to have a plan B (and C etc if really paranoid or very valuable data).
  • Options
    Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I've never been able to get Macrium Reflect to work and it also worries me when it gives me two choices of backup, as it doesn't explain what the difference is. I can't remember off-hand, what the two types are.

?? RTFM ;-)