Any good cloud hosting services?

Supposedly, the thing to do these days is back up all your files to a Cloud service, however I have literally terabytes of files and most services offer a few crappy gigs, and I'm not talking about free services either. Does anyone know of or use any service that gives proper storage? Who talks gigabytes these days anyway?

I've tried two Chinese providers who supposedly offer 10/36 TB free, but as expected it's too good to be true and nothing works. Also using Hubic as per another thread but finding I have problems with them.

Any advice would be great. Other than that I'll just have to keep buying backup external hard drives as my collection continues to grow.

Thanks
TH

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only backup my 'live' projects to a cloud service, so that keeps the numbers down. I wouldn't leave stuff up there as a permanent solution - I still do final backups to disc and hard-drive.
    And most people still work in GB... it's enough for most. Are you a video editor or something?
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    No, but my music collection is just over of a terabyte and I have a massive collection of videos that goes into several TB. My current storage solution is/was approx 12 tb and I've just added another 5 with another 2 envisaged, and I'm certain I'm not alone in my expanding storage requirements. Gigabytes are like megabytes used to be in the eighties: sure some games take a gig or more to install! I can't imagine anyone thinks a few gig is a "generous amount" of storage.

Quick example: TV series and movies: 1.02 TB
    Other videos: 2.29 TB
    Personal pictures and videos : 2.3 TB
    Music: 1.08 TB
    Comics/Graphic Novels 360 GB

Total (approx): 6.8 TB

So you can see how gigs do not figure in my plan at all...
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    My current storage solution is/was approx 12 tb

But seriously, why do you even bother with storing music now anyway, when you can find the music you need on youtube mostly, and other sites too. Too many to even list them.

Maybe what you should just do is make a list of all your songs that will take a long time, or better still, find a program that can extract all the song names and singers/bands, then you have all the names and so on, then you wouldnt need to bother with finding or buying more storage?? Thus that text file with names would be like tiny as hell lol, cos it would only be a text file.

But why on earth would you need it, if your not in the music business a DJ or what ever else in the music business. Maybe you have a digital hoard addiction??

That is my 2 cents anyway.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I was looking at this.....Backblaze....the other day.
    They offer 'Unlimited backup storage for $5 a month.
    May not be what you want, but, may be worth a look..:)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick example: TV series and movies: 1.02 TB
    Other videos: 2.29 TB
    Personal pictures and videos : 2.3 TB
    Music: 1.08 TB
    Comics/Graphic Novels 360 GB

Total (approx): 6.8 TB

The only thing there that I'd seriously bother about backing up is the personal pics and vids. Everything else can be redownloaded, whether it's been acquired above or under the counter.

Anyway, yes, Backblaze. I'd forgotten about them. There are a couple of others. I think even Amazon does cloud backup services for individuals on a per TV basis. Slow access, though, but if all you're doing is uploading and walking away then that shouldn't be a problem.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backblaze and crashplan both do unlimited backup but is it practical - i.e. do you have the upload speeds to sustain this.

Generally, I would back up important things online and if you have lots of stuff locally, I would find another means of doing that.

The cheapest online storage is probably Amazon Glacier.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use flickr for my pictures they give you 1tb
    for vidoes my own ones with out any music I use youtube if a clip has music in then dailymotion or facebook seem ok but might be limited to 30 min uploads.
    for music this is OK
    https://yunpan.360.cn/
    but when uploading TV Shows or films its like just 10kb to 50kb its to slow and uploads don't upload before having to go bed and turning the pc off.
    Its great now having 18 meg uploads with infinity 2.
    Forum Member
    DreamRJ wrote: »
    But seriously, why do you even bother with storing music now anyway, when you can find the music you need on youtube mostly, and other sites too. Too many to even list them.

Maybe what you should just do is make a list of all your songs that will take a long time, or better still, find a program that can extract all the song names and singers/bands, then you have all the names and so on, then you wouldnt need to bother with finding or buying more storage?? Thus that text file with names would be like tiny as hell lol, cos it would only be a text file.

But why on earth would you need it, if your not in the music business a DJ or what ever else in the music business. Maybe you have a digital hoard addiction??

That is my 2 cents anyway.
    That may be your two cents but you clearly don't understand people who are into music. A) you can only get so much on YouTube B) you can't really bring that w ith you (not the same as listening to an album) C) I've been collecting music - originally on vinyl, then CD, then digital - for over thirty years now, so I'm not likely to suddenly just start watching YouTubes D) I like having a music collection; that way I can choose what to listen to and can make compilation playlists if I want.

call100 wrote: »
    I was looking at this.....Backblaze....the other day.
    They offer 'Unlimited backup storage for $5 a month.
    May not be what you want, but, may be worth a look..:)
    Thanks. I'll look into that.
    mred2000 wrote: »
    The only thing there that I'd seriously bother about backing up is the personal pics and vids. Everything else can be redownloaded, whether it's been acquired above or under the counter.
    You're seriously underestimating the amount of time and trouble it has taken me to download much of my music, and the services used. Remember Allofmp3.com? Audiogalaxy? Many of these sites no longer exist, and much of the access to torrent sites has been cut off by Irish ISPs, so most of those avenues for redownloading would not be available to me. To say nothing of hte time and hassle involved in doing that. Anyway, I like my music collection and don't want to lose or have to reassemble it.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're seriously underestimating the amount of time and trouble it has taken me to download much of my music, and the services used. Remember Allofmp3.com? Audiogalaxy? Many of these sites no longer exist, and much of the access to torrent sites has been cut off by Irish ISPs, so most of those avenues for redownloading would not be available to me. To say nothing of hte time and hassle involved in doing that. Anyway, I like my music collection and don't want to lose or have to reassemble it.
    In other words, most of it's illegal downloads.
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    In other words, most of it's illegal downloads.

Exactly, doesnt surprise me if they are not illegal downloads at all.

@Trollheart - It has never happened where i do a search for a specific song and it is not available on youtube, or any other site that has music that is free to listen too. i think your living in the past, and you cant seem to understand, you do not need to keep music anymore. only reason you would is for your phones, but even then you dont need it on phones as data is becoming more and more cheaper and will soon become unlimited on mobile networks too, so you can just then use youtube, other music stream sites on mobiles/tablets, i just don't understand why you are trying to defend your illegal collection of music, yes who knows if you paid for some of them, but some of those sites you listed was obviously illegal sites you could get free mp3s off, i used to collect mp3s too, now i do not need to and the music i did have i deleted, because streaming sites are now there instead.

Why then pay for a storage solution for illegal music, when you do not need too, that is my point. it is pointless, and you then would have all that space back, if you just deleted them and made that list, but hey what ever, your choice. keep hoarding the illegal music, you cant take it with you when you die.
    Forum Member
    Ah, the sweet sound of condescension and high horses stepping my way. :rolleyes: :yawn:
    The state of my music collection is not a subject for discussion; you don't know how much of it has been bought with hard-earned cash and what has been downloaded, or how, so please don't make unfounded accusations. In any case, to expand on the Youtube thing, here's more:

If you've never found a track you couldn't get a YouTube for then we obviously listen to far different types of music. I constantly find it hard to get videos for songs I wish to feature in my blogs. Apart from that, I despise the banner ads and the ads at the beginning on YouTubes. I like to listen to music sometimes with a visualisation, sometimes downstairs on my ipod, sometimes on my phone. I often don't want to see live concerts, cover versions or music videos made by people. In any case, I fail to see why I can't collect music if I want to. You don't want to, fine. I am of an older generation but that doesn't mean I live in the past, though if I do then that's my choice. I have worked hard to amass the music collection I have now and don't want to lose it in a hard drive crash or similar, so really, why this has suddenly turned into a debate about how legal my music is escapes me. Basically, that's my business and I'll thank you to respect that.

But YouTube will never for me be an alternative to listening to an album all the way through without having to click this away, that away, or do video by video, or have the internet suddenly hang, or be interrupted by ads. And yes, before you ask, I do subscribe to Spotify premium too, but even they don't have all the music I need.

I think I've worked out a way to upload folders to Hubic anyhow, so this may be all I need. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.
    TH
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the sweet sound of condescension and high horses stepping my way. :rolleyes: :yawn:
    The state of my music collection is not a subject for discussion; you don't know how much of it has been bought with hard-earned cash and what has been downloaded, or how, so please don't make unfounded accusations.

Many like to make assumptions and don't take into account the poster's context. :)