Options

Celebrity Winners and Losers 2010. Has the Series Changed Your Perception of Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, most of us posting here won't have your advantage of knowing all the celebs intimately over a period of time, which you must have to make a statement like that. Cut us a bit of slack, eh?

I'm just saying that it was obvious most of the contestants just "blandified" their responses. I like the fact that Pam didn't really censor herself.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    The Pamela hating just doesn't stop does it?

FFS people have stated that they disliked her and given their reasons for that on a thread about which contestants we liked and disliked. Using the word 'hating' makes you sound a bit childish. A few said that they liked her. If you can't take people having differing opinions to your own then i'm not sure that a discussion forum is the right place for you.

Anyway... I started the series thinking that i'd dislike Gavin, instead I found him to be a winning combo of shy with a dry sense of humour. Very endearing. I also expected to dislike Kara and Michelle but both won me over, Kara by being generally nice and a fantastic dancer and Michelle for being a complete loon:D

I expected to like Pamela, Jimi, Scott and Matt but went off all four as the series progressed. Matt I knew from my kids watching Blue Peter, seemed like a nice bloke but ended up coming across a bit childish in his reactions to criticism. Similar reasons for Jimi. Scott wound me up with his Strictly Bingo. Pamela I found very off putting for many reasons. A few were, her portrayal of the worst stereotypes of Psychologists, the constant comments and newspaper columns about the nature of her relationship with James including her fantasies about him, and his and Olas sexual relationship (I found this particularly inappropriate), the smile/laugh that never reached the eyes (although that may have been the fault of Botox).

Just my opinions though.
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    She was accused of being "false" many times.

To be fair to her, she did tone it down in the last few weeks. The innuendos were just a bit of fun. I think it's a rather healthy way to express your sexuality; I don't think she would ever cheat on Billy, unlike quite a few other contestants who have cheated on their partners. I did cringe at her comments sometimes, but we are much too prudish about sex in this country, which leads to all sorts of problems.

Pamela is a strong older woman who loves life and I think that put a lot of people off. Many younger people don't have the energy she has. You can say what you like about Pam, but I just wish I had her energy and passion for life, and I'm much younger than she is.

I thought Patsy overacted. she was terribly false IMO; a woman who behaved like a little girl, which people seemed to find endearing.

I didn't have a massive problem with Pamela to be honest just found her irritating, but I wonder if people would think it was healthy expression of sexuality if it was Paul Daniels and Ola Jordan we were talking about it!

But as you say she did tone it down, perhaps she became aware that people were uncomfortable with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I didn't have a massive problem with Pamela to be honest just found her irritating, but I wonder if people would think it was healthy expression of sexuality if it was Paul Daniels and Ola Jordan we were talking about it!

But as you say she did tone it down, perhaps she became aware that people were uncomfortable with it?

BIB- a very good point and I nominate it for post of the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Kara when she was in Eastenders, but she really started to grate on me during Strictly. I always thought Matt was a bit boring, but I actually started to like the guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin - I really did not like Gavin before Strictly and I honestly thought I would end up hating him but I actually *really* like him. I find him hilarious, and think he comes across as a lovely person.

Matt - I was a big fan of Matt before Strictly, I remember him from Blue Peter and have liked him since but I really have gone off him a bit. I can't put my finger on what it is that annoys me about him but there is something I don't like.

Pamela - I liked Pamela to start but as the series progressed I went right off her, she comes over as very false.

Scott - Didn't like him at the start, enjoyed some of his dances but still don't like him.

Kara - I thought she would annoy me but I have enjoyed watching her dance, her training, interviews.. she is lovely.

This exactly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Reading through this thread, I'm surprised there are so few references to Ann Widdicombe. I wonder if that is because most people disliked what they thought they knew of her before it started and she didn't do much to change that? Conversely Gavin seems to have converted almost everyone who had preconceptions about him. Oh I wish I had studied psychology - I find this kind of stuff fascinating!
    BTW I also expected to dislike Ann and still do, expected to find Gavin vain and arrogant but now think he is funny and driven. Matt is driven but not particularly funny, Pamela just yeuch but a great dancer, Scott lovely, Kara very sweet (slap it up you, Joe Swash) everyone one else seemed very nice and Felicity is a great advert for yoga.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    haven't changed my opinion on Gav - vain, self-obsessed, lack of humour
    I know everyone thinks he's 'dry and funny' but he ain't when the humour's aimed at him

I never liked Widdecombe and didn't watch her dances or her comments to the judges so she couldn't convert me!
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    FFS people have stated that they disliked her and given their reasons for that on a thread about which contestants we liked and disliked. Using the word 'hating' makes you sound a bit childish. A few said that they liked her. If you can't take people having differing opinions to your own then i'm not sure that a discussion forum is the right place for you.

Just my opinions though.

As you say just your opinion and almost worth ignoring. The bile on this forum for Pamela has been palpable and "hating" is not too strong a word. I am not sure what she has done to upset people - just dance well I suppose. FFS:yawn:
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldie - not keen and didn't change my opinion
    Paul D - ditto
    Peter Shilton - ok and didn't change opinion
    Tina - liked her and still do
    Jimi - thought he'd be cocky but really warmed to him
    Patsy - liked her and now like her even more
    Felicity - ambivilent - found her very irritating
    Michelle - didn't know her, now don't like her
    Anne - couldn't stand her...still can't
    Gavin- thought he was ok, now think he's a twit
    Scott - really warmed to him, what a nice chap
    Pamela - didn't care for her - now like her immensely
    Matt - ditto
    Kara - really warmed to her, what a nice girl
    Bruce.....see Anne
    Tess.....see Patsy
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say just your opinion and almost worth ignoring. The bile on this forum for Pamela has been palpable and "hating" is not too strong a word. I am not sure what she has done to upset people - just dance well I suppose. FFS:yawn:

How rude! The fm's opinion is as valid as anyone else's including yours!!!!!

And, in case you hadn't noticed, all of the contestants have had their detractors on this and every other forum...that is the nature of forums! There have been posts expressing their dislike of Pamela but I have seen very few hateful posts.............hate is a very strong word but seems to be bandied about very lightly these days!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pamela hating just doesn't stop does it?

This is a nice, uplifting thread for a near Christmas Sunday morning :confused:

I like Pamela.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adored Scott at the start of the series and expected him to win. I know Natalie's not the celeb, but my opinion of her has changed. Quite like her this year.;) As for Scott? He never recovered after the jive; in fact, he deteriorated to the point of excessive dullness.

Pam only has herself to blame as her numerous "thanks to the audience/James/Brucie/Billy/other contestants/costume & make-up team" etc etc came across as totally insincere. Went from liking her to hating her.

Kara came across as a sweetie and watching her show discussing her dyslexia made me like her even more. That beautiful personality shone through when she danced and I looked forward to her and Artem's performance each week.

Shilton - where do I start? He was totally in denial that he couldn't dance and the week he went out was more comical than technical. Even Widdie was better than him that week.

Gavin ahhh Gavin... Sorry drifted off then with a fantasy moment. Didn't get his humour to start with and thought his ego was bigger than his pecs. Adore him now....particularly his chest.

Matt I didn't realise how determined he was. His overriding passion to win ruined his dancing. With a different partner, he could have won (IMHO, don't beat me Aliona lovers).

Didn't have strong feelings about the others. Always liked Widdie's bloody-mindedness but detest her politics. Nice to see her slightly let her hair down.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    How rude! The fm's opinion is as valid as anyone else's including yours!!!!!

!

ooh err missus

Actually I am arrogant enough to believe that my opinion is more valid than anyone elses:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Hadnt really thought about this but here goes for what its worth:

Kara - never really watched Eastenders, so had no particular opinion on her, expected to not really be bothered by her, grew to like her a little, but felt that she tried to act to win audience votes in VTs and this was annoying - and she played on the showmance thing a little ...

Matt - have always liked him, perhaps partly an affinity to him also being from the north east orginally, but I have found him warm, friendly, honest and keen to succeed - qualities I find attractive. I thought he worked incredibly hard - tried not to overegg the emotion - but it was clearly bubbling away under the surface ... I really liked Matt

Pamela - had no real opinion on her before the contest - thought some of the BBC editing didnt do her any favours - but if you leave that to one side, I found her interesting, and someone I enjoyed watching dance and could imagine having a great chat over dinner with

Scott - I dont watch Eastenders but had watched him regularly in The Bill when he was in that show - I thought he would be good at the acting part of dancing and wasnt disappointed. I liked to see his real individual personality come out too - and found him to be a graceful and hoenst performer to watch

Gavin - always had the stereotype that he was a vain, rich and arrogant person - I can actually see the shy vulnerable side of him and saw him grow as a dancer. I think the show has done him the world of good for his reputation as a person

Ann - I had always found her an interesting character and although I am miles away from her politics had thought she would be an interesting person to talk to (if you could establish a two way conversation - I felt she would be very focussed on what she wanted to say and not listen to other opinion). I found her gracious, entertaining, honest and full of integrity. I found her a delight. I would relish afternoon tea with Ann.

Goldie - I had no prior opinion on him and that has not changed

Paul - I always found his on screen personality arrogant and annoying and that hasnt particularly changed. That said, I did once meet him professioanlly when he wasnt in the best situation and found him gentle, humerous, honest and a delightful person

Patsy - I had always thought of her as a bit of a diva who was far from grounded and had a perception of herself as being more important than anyone else. I found her attitude to be grounded, honest and willing to learn. Her passion to develop was dynamic and attractive

Michelle - I think her diva status was confirmed by her comments to the judges and made her come across as an arrogant, self centred person

Peter - I felt we didnt get to see any personality from him

Felicity - I thought she came across as a genuine person who happened to be famous and wanted to do the best she could - she was fantastic

Jimi - Came across as a grounded laid back guy and not an arrogrant superstar Hollywood star - a great guy to have a pint with I reckon

Tina - Came across as very shy and uncertain which was suprising for someone who has had such explsovie sorylines in Coronation Street

Bruce - appeared better than last season but doesnt have the vigour he used to have and its time to pass on the baton

Tess - loved her in the previous seasons - love her more now

Claudia - A goddess - love to go on a night out clubbing with her

Len - A great uncle type with high standards - loveable rogue who knows where the lines are - sort of person you would share a few brandies with and have a few secret jokes with - an amazing judge

Craig - the best judge of all ... love to watch him choreographing a show. He is honest and professional. Love his personality and that he strives to ensure the show maintains its standards

Bruno - Barking, mad and loveable - part of the reason the show is so goo

Alesha - Improving but please can she have grammar lessons
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no strong feeling one way or the other about Gavin....but by the end of his run on Strictly I was a huge fan......he and Katya were my favourite (non dancing) couple of the whole series they made me laugh out loud on ITT and their training VT's so as a consequence I am now a Katya fan.

Artem is just fantastic and seemingly lovely guy and a genius at choreography what a star.

Anton has redeemed himself slightly in my eyes but I still wouldnt be sorry if he left.

Aliona shouldnt be back next year.
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, most of us posting here won't have your advantage of knowing all the celebs intimately over a period of time, which you must have to make a statement like that. Cut us a bit of slack, eh?

Human nature is perverse. Nasty and annoying people make an impact and nice, sensible people are dismissed as boring ! Personally I just like great and goodish dancers who try hard and enjoy it.

Liked Kara and Artem, glad they won, but also liked Matt AND Aliona. Best two dancers in the final.

Pamela was a bit full of herself but glad that a 61 year old was able to do so well ON MERIT, although she always was a very talented performer in her younger days.

Scott is clearly a good actor and an entertainer ; don't watch soaps and hadn't heard of him before. Deserved to last a long time and went out at right moment.

Some people seem disappointed in Felicity Kendal - I wasn’t. She isn't Barbara Good and she made a pretty good job of learning a new skill and didn't deserve to go out when she did, after her best dance. I though she was very sensible, good humoured and realistic

Liked Jimi's attitude and personality. he obviously loved being on the show. Both he and Tina were hard done by, largely due to the lack of a sufficient fan base. I think with a better partner and public support Tina might have made the semi - finals.

Thought I would hate Patsy but ended up liking her.

No strong opinions on Michelle, Peter, Goldie. Nice to see a member of a famous singing group showing that she is not a goddess capable of succeeding at everything !

Not keen on Gavin and disappointed that he and Ann kept better dancers from progressing further.

No one likes Paul Daniels !
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh err missus

Actually I am arrogant enough to believe that my opinion is more valid than anyone elses:cool:

You're on your own there.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biggest change for me was James Jordan - gone from hating him to loving him!! The only celebs I wasn't keen on were Paul & Anne. Anne for some of he'd more extreme right wing views, Paul because I thought he was a bit creepy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldie - I thought he could be a dark horse, but he was really daft and stupid. He was really trying to get in shot last night too. Not a fan and had always quite liked him before.

Paul D - Not as bad as I thought he would be, but still a really odd man.

Peter Shilton - I had no opinion on him before, he didn't come across well- thought he was good and lacked personality.

Tina - A sweet girl who I liked before. Deserved to go further.

Jimi - I thought he would be great, when he was just OK. But a good bloke who really enjoyed the experience.

Patsy - I liked her before, and like her more now. A lovely lady.

Felicity - Hmm, a funny one. She was full of beans last night but lacked something for me thoughout the contest.

Michelle - I knew nothing about her, but found her demanding, arrogant and almost unwatchable. Hated that partnership.

Anne - A guilty pleasure- I thought she was fab, and the other celebs and dancers seemed to agree.

Gavin- I didn't like him before and he has not changed my opinion. Dull.

Scott - Knew little about him, but thought he seemed very nice. Just wish he could have kept up first few weeks' momentum.

Pamela - Not my cup of tea (far too intense and self-satisfied) but an undeniably good dancer.

Matt - A nice chap but can't understand the love for him.

Kara - I knew little about her, but what a breath of fresh air: charming, humble and utterly lovely. A star.

Craig- Some weird marking, but still the best judge and probably the nicest too.

Len- I can't stand him. He has been horrible and rude at times. Get rid.

Alesha- She was good this series, especially last night where she spoke really well about them all. She should be back next year.

Bruno- He seems to have calmed down a bit. Still too daft and erratic in marking.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooh err missus

Arrogance...what a wonderful quality to have!
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Goldie - Not a fan. No change there.

Paul D - As above.

Peter Shilton - *yawn* a bit deluded

Tina - No interest before or since.

Jimi - Didn't endear himself.

Patsy - I thought I wouldn't like her. Serial rock-Mrs therefore pathetic. But I did like her quite a bit.

Felicity - Find that weird lip of hers distracting and disconcerting. Not taken.

Michelle - *shrugs shoulders*, made no impression.

Anne - Had no opinion but the more I saw the less I liked.

Gavin - No, thank you. No change.

Scott - Started to grate on me with his silly faces. Danced really well on Halloween week and the jive.

Pamela - All a bit smug and pompous. Don't like the Lady of the Manor act or the pop-psychology but she could dance!

Matt - Never much liked him before. Like him less now.

Kara - Not a high opinion of her acting and assumed she was dim. She may be dim but she is also really sweet and kind.

Craig- The best judge?

Len- The best teacher?

Alesha- Improving. A lot. That's high praise because I've never been fond of her.

Bruno- Do tone it down, Tonioli!

Bruce - what comic............timing? They shoot horses.

Tess - No change. WYSIWYG.
  • Options
    jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Goldie - Went too early. Week 1 is always a lottery.

Paul D - Retirement beckons

Peter Shilton - A great goalie - but not a great dancer

Tina - Unknown to me before. As the above post says - a sweet girl. A disappointing exit really.

Jimi - Again, new to me. Liked him and thought he went too early.

Patsy - Did well and went about as far as she should. Liked her.

Felicity - A national treasure - if, perhaps, suffering from some clumsy preservation work.

Michelle - Who???

Anne - About as amusing as a case of herpes.

Gavin- Very disappointing. He went about 4 weeks too far as well. As an ex-rugby player myself I though he should have had much better coordination. complete charisma bypass.

Scott - Unknown to me - VERY good in patches but did fall away. Seems a nice bloke.

Pamela - danced well above her weight, so to speak. A worthy finalist, and a worthy third place.Well done James for bringing her through.

Matt - A worthy finalist and all round nice bloke.

Kara - Again, unknown to me before, but a superb dancer. Lovely lines..

The judges: they really need to deliver consistency. If you give Ann Widdecombe 7, then anyone who dances better must get at least an 8. Craig the stand-out judge as ever.

The pros. Artem: Well done him. Seems like a really nice bloke, but hew should have sorted out the illegal lifts before the final.

Jared: Who?? Oh, the one with a note from his Mother!

Robin. Dissappointing.

Katia: A bit Vanilly.

Aliona - good in patches, but just a bit too red at times.

Just my 2p

JJ
  • Options
    Forum Member

I believe hating IS too strong a word. I don't even hate Ann Widdecombe although I do strongly dislike her. I don't believe i've ever hated anyone so far in life and it would probably only happen if someone were to harm my children. Maybe you need to gain a sense of perspective.

Ref the bit in bold, I listed my reasons for disliking Pamela (and others) in my post... you cut them out when you quoted me:rolleyes:. None of them were to do with her dancing which as you've brought it up I felt was average and didn't improve throughout the series...again, just my opinion to which I am entitled.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I'm just saying that it was obvious most of the contestants just "blandified" their responses. I like the fact that Pam didn't really censor herself.

I thought this was a thread to say who had changed your perceptions, not try to change other posters percections.

Pamela , at the beginning I quite liked and quite frankly over the weeks , the way she did not censor herself is exactly what annoyed me, I watched James become increasing uncomfortable over the way she talked about him ( and Ola on one occasions) she may have been having fun , he most certainly wasn't!

Gavin suprised me enourmously , I thought he would be vain, dull and plank like I found him endearing, witty and charming

Kara I had no opinion of other than an EE character a show I dont particularly like but I found her endearing and charming too, a really nice person

the ones who confirmed my dislike of them were Ann Widdecome who maintained her self opinionated , priggish and humourless persona, ditto Paula Daniels

Peter Shilton I had no opinion of beforehand and found him dull, dull dull , ditto Tina , Michelle and Jimi

Felicity and Patsy I thought I would quite like and coninued to quite like at the end