The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    From today's BSkyB results.

That's a lot of non-Sky downloads per week. Wonder when the BBC are going to include Sky's Catch Up service in their iPlayer figures?

I have to say that now various catch up players for channels are available through Sky boxes, I'm watching there rather than online. I'd say my usage of ITV Player/Demand 5 especially have increased in general. It must be helping audience figures for some programmes too.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget in 2014 the BBC has a huge tranche of programming to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War and I wouldn't be surprised if they launched it on January 1.June will also mark the 70th anniversary of D Day, which is a big BBC event every ten years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC says series 3 of Sherlock to start filming in March.

Brendan O'Carroll confirms there will be two MBB Christmas specials but no new series in 2013.
    By the time Sherlock is ready Autumn will be too crowded to show it. BBC1 do like putting it on Sunday nights but I think even before Downton returns that ITV will have some strong shows there making it impossible for Sherlock to go there.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Sherlock is likely to come back in the autumn however perhaps the bbc will keep us hanging on til xmas but im not sure if this is the final series or not. Mrs browns boys will be at the top of the christmas tree this year so must be christmas day!
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So then....

New Years Day 2014

6.00 movie premiere
    7.30 EE
    8.30 Sherlock
    10.00 Mrs Browns Boys (2/2)

The Sun says Sherlock will be shown in the Autumn, no doubt September before Downton starts.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget in 2014 the BBC has a huge tranche of programming to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War and I wouldn't be surprised if they launched it on January 1.June will also mark the 70th anniversary of D Day, which is a big BBC event every ten years.

I agree with you about World War One - it is the centenary, as you say - but sadly one of the big factors behind the BBC's traditional emphasis on D-Day anniversaries is fading fast: in 1994 and 2004 there were far more veterans of the day around than there will be in 2014, and for that reason it is expected that the focus of anniversary commemorations will change and be far more low-key.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Sherlock is likely to come back in the autumn however perhaps the bbc will keep us hanging on til xmas but im not sure if this is the final series or not. Mrs browns boys will be at the top of the christmas tree this year so must be christmas day!
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    The Sun says Sherlock will be shown in the Autumn, no doubt September before Downton starts.

I'm not confident of Sherlock being ready in time as the 2011 series slipped to 2012. If it can be ready then BBC1 will have 2 popular dramas in Autumn along with New Tricks. ITV look stronger drama wise with Downton, Doc Martin and Whitechapel returning. I think Foyle's War could go out on Sundays in the Autumn too.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    1.44m (7.7%) for Derek, not sure if that includes +1, it's about half what the pilot got but it was on later and is no longer new to those who saw the pilot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    I agree with you about World War One - it is the centenary, as you say - but sadly one of the big factors behind the BBC's traditional emphasis on D-Day anniversaries is fading fast: in 1994 and 2004 there were far more veterans of the day around than there will be in 2014, and for that reason it is expected that the focus of anniversary commemorations will change and be far more low-key.

Indeed, but some of these commemorations just carry on. The Menin Gate ceremony at Ypres, which marks the dead of the Great War, has been conducted every night since 1927 apart from an unscheduled interruption between 1940 and 1945.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Emmers - 6979 + 495
    Corrie - 7978 + 598

Midsomer - 5261 + 329
    Africa - 5026
    MotD - 3127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmers - 6979 + 495
    Corrie - 7978 + 598

Midsomer - 5261 + 329
    Africa - 5026
    MotD - 3127

Thanks Mike.

Africa took a tumble.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Midsomer
    and

Africa

I'm guessing the killer was revealed by 9.45pm, otherwise why the big drop off
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the devil would BBC1 air a documentary about World War 1 in primetime on New Years Day? Is that for real??

Unless Sherlock can be rushed out for late August, it will clash with Downton and or X Factor. In August it will rate less well than in January against DOI results and presumably a second series of Selfridge.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Why the devil would BBC1 air a documentary about World War 1 in primetime on New Years Day? Is that for real??.

I am :confused: too. I don't see the logic there.
    Unless Sherlock can be rushed out for late August, it will clash with Downton and or X Factor. In August it will rate less well than in January against DOI results and presumably a second series of Selfridge.

My prediction is Boxing Day, New year's Day and the first Sunday in January 2014 for Sherlock. Mrs Brown on Christmas Eve and day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, but some of these commemorations just carry on. The Menin Gate ceremony at Ypres, which marks the dead of the Great War, has been conducted every night since 1927 apart from an unscheduled interruption between 1940 and 1945.

True, but not with wall to wall live TV coverage for the best part of a day as was the case for D-Day ceremonies in 1984, 1994 and 2004. So - yes there will be commemorations, as you say, but I just doubt that in 2014 they will be as high-profile as in those years.
    It will be interesting to see, for example, whether President Obama comes over for them as previous US Presidents did, when there will be so many fewer US veterans able to be there.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midsomer
    I'm guessing the killer was revealed by 9.45pm, otherwise why the big drop off

Perhaps the final internal break (or part of) was in the final 15 minutes? ITV often the leave the last of the six breaks in their two hour dramas quite late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.6m for Derek including +1 on Channel 4 last night according to Attentional. The pilot launced with around 2m I think.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weak BBC1 at 8 obviously hurt Africa, possibly the Wednesday football on Sky dented it too.

On the radio ratings, sadly Grimshaw only suffered a tiny drop on Moyles figures for previous quarter (admittedly that covers the summer and Olympics), but the big growth in younger listeners means its being hailed by BBC chiefs as a successful start.

Evans meanwhile piles on listeners -now up to 9.5m a day, miles ahead of what Wogan got. Ratings gold that man.... ;)
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    1.6m for Derek including +1 on Channel 4 last night according to Attentional. The pilot launced with around 2m I think.

Just checked, so it did, 2.11m, think it was officially that it averaged 3m+.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    True, but not with wall to wall live TV coverage for the best part of a day as was the case for D-Day ceremonies in 1984, 1994 and 2004. So - yes there will be commemorations, as you say, but I just doubt that in 2014 they will be as high-profile as in those years.
    It will be interesting to see, for example, whether President Obama comes over for them as previous US Presidents did, when there will be so many fewer US veterans able to be there.

I wonder if Tom Hanks will be there as he was in 2004 when he took one of the many salutes. Apparently he's a D Day ''buff'' after Saving Private Ryan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked, so it did, 2.11m, think it was officially that it averaged 3m+.

Derek did better than most Channel 4 shows in the 10pm hour so that'll be a positive at least.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    From today's BSkyB results.

That's a lot of non-Sky downloads per week. Wonder when the BBC are going to include Sky's Catch Up service in their iPlayer figures?

Not sure, but they'll automatically bundled into the BARB officials straight away, won't they?
  • Andrea_ParmaAndrea_Parma Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Decent ratings for Midsomer. It was the last episode with DS Jones as Barnaby's sidekick (they are still searching for the new detective). And they are also on par with shot episodes now. So no more Midsomer for some months
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted this article, summarising which US shows have been bought by the UK channels to date:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/01/2012-2013-acquisitions-41-bskyb-wb-nbcu/

I had not realised that ITV had bought 666 Park Avenue (an occult-type horror drama, which has already been cancelled in the US) and Animal Practice (a dire comedy, also already axed).
    Not a lot of taste on show there from the ITV acquisitions team...
  • mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    I would rather wait the extra months for Sherlock to get the better ratings, rather than schedule it against stronger competition or decent wearher.

Also in theory if there is a fourth series we might not have to wait as long!!
This discussion has been closed.