If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today....

18910111214»

Comments

• xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McMahauld wrote: »
    That excuse didn't work for my uncle - he got 6 months.
    For what? :eek:
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    For what? :eek:

Loitering within tent.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Also I would be amazed that space travel had almost halted and that planes still looked much the same.

This.

When the movie 2001 was released in the 60s, people didn't think such a prediction was far-fetched.

Our collective lack of subsequent interest in space exploration is shameful given all the other crap we seem to care about.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Well TVs the size of a window and the thickness of a paperback would be something of a radical innovation for them.

Ditto "typewriters" that can access all the info in the world - and allow you to talk with live pictures to someone on the other side of the planet.

Oh, and everyone owning cars that are totally reliable (within reason), that start on cold mornings, that don't dissolve in the rain and that out perform race cars.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well TVs the size of a window and the thickness of a paperback would be something of a radical innovation for them.
    It's rather amusing that you posted immediately after a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey, which includes use of a tablet-like device. Here's the relevant clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKt9ZyDmA44
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Internet shopping. I've just bought several presents by clicking a couple of buttons. In the 1950s I would have gone down to the local shops, which would have been all done up for Christmas since last week, and probably been greeted by name as I pottered around buying nice simple gifts like bath salts and Beano annuals and initialled handkerchiefs. (Yes,I'm getting all nostalgic for a time when I wasn't even born!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    They'd have heart attacks if they read so the comments on the retail workers and ******** time wasting customers thread.
    The customer might ALWAYS have been right in the conformist 1950s but these days people can actually thing for themselves.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I watching watching a old TV show from the 50's the other day and they brought a brand new large screen TV they even pointed out it was the largest screen available and it was 20 Inches today that would even be small for a portable.

While the rest of it looked like a tank and required 3-4 people to even move it
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McMahauld wrote: »
    Loitering within tent.
    That sounds a bit harsh! :(
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    It's rather amusing that you posted immediately after a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey, which includes use of a tablet-like device. Here's the relevant clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKt9ZyDmA44

Fair enough - but the film is from 1968.