Bad job interviews/experiences

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    One time I got on the wrong train. It was going to a place that began with the same letter as the place I was supposed to go to, but was in the opposite direction. Easy mistake to make. Several hours late. Didn't get the job.

Another time I had an online test, telephone interview. Passed those. Then invited to interview, including a series of tests. Got past that. Then invited back to stay overnight. Final stage. Many tests and interviews. Failed. Got a mug though. Every time I have a cup of tea I am reminded of my having failed.
    summerain wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before on here, but it was such an awful experience I feel it's safe to mention it again.

I had an interview with Nandos while I was living in Sydney. It was a group interview which consisted of showing 'team player skills' by competing against each other to make a tower out of paper and staples. We then had a general knowledge quiz, to put forward an answer you had to identify yourself by shouting out one of the items from Nando's menu, like "Piri Piri" or "chilli fries". As if that wasn't enough, we then had to get in to two groups and write a song about chicken, then sing it. The people in my team came up with "I ate some chicken and I liked it" Katy Perry style.

That had to be one of the most humiliating experience of my life. I was so desperate for a job I forced myself to 'compete' in everything challenge they threw at me. And I didn't even get a job in the end! I can't bear to even look at a Nandos now :o

Some pretty bad stories on here but these two made me cringe - I really feel sorry for you!

RE: My latest job interview, they said they would tell me today so been sat by the phone like a plonker (even taking both house and mobile phone to the bathroom with me :o), nothing yet. I rang them and they said they are "still making a decision", it's pretty intense for a weekend job!
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Right, well do you know anything about IT Systems Administration because the bloke has just called back to turn down the job!!!

What recession? :eek:

I do! I'm guessing you're not in my locality, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I had an interview in a tiny company as a PA. Before the interview with the boss the current PA showed me around, saying 'here's the coffee machine, here's the toilet, oh and the boss cycles to work and he often stinks when he gets here in the morning'. Which I thought was bizarre - she didn't say it in a conspiratorial way, more as if she was just describing one of the facilities.

During my interview with him, he gouged a huge piece of ear wax out of his ear, then dragged it slowly across the wooden varnished table as he spoke to me. No wonder she was trying to warn me about his lack of hygiene/social skills.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    ..... Interview from hell.
    But did you get it though?!
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    I'll take it! :D
    Beat me to it!
    During my interview with him, he gouged a huge piece of ear wax out of his ear, then dragged it slowly across the wooden varnished table as he spoke to me. No wonder she was trying to warn me about his lack of hygiene/social skills.
    Oh..... Oh, just ohhhhh lol that's just nasty, Oh!!!
  • Options
    Phoenix86Phoenix86 Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Years ago I had an interview in a tiny company as a PA. Before the interview with the boss the current PA showed me around, saying 'here's the coffee machine, here's the toilet, oh and the boss cycles to work and he often stinks when he gets here in the morning'. Which I thought was bizarre - she didn't say it in a conspiratorial way, more as if she was just describing one of the facilities.

*Feels physically sick*

I guess you have to put up with a lot of crap from bosses but THAT?! Urgh...
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an interview that lasted one question because the assistant had arranged interview but the boss wasn't ready for it. He just made some story I wasn't right for the job and I went home.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not had bad interviews but weird ones. One interview was in a cafe and another one I was offered a cigarette (which I smoked). I got both jobs. These were years ago.
  • Options
    upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned up for a job interview with a horrendous black eye from playing rugby the weekend before.
    I rang ahead and warned them what to expect, but it definitely was an icebreaker in the interview.
    I ended up having to do a presentation to 6 of the management team and 2 board members in the interview.

I got the job, and it turned out to be one of the best companies I have worked for. They are now one of my customers, and I still meet up with some of the guys there to play golf every once in a while
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first interview I got asked where Blackpool was.

Cos I knew it had a beach I (wrongly) assumed it was on the South Coast!

I didnt get the job :o

I *was* very young :D
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Right, well do you know anything about IT Systems Administration because the bloke has just called back to turn down the job!!!

I have just started last week as a Junior IT Systems Admin, for alot less than what you offered, and it's a 40min bus journey away.

But for me, this job is what I have always wanted to do and tried to get into, and the company are giving me a chance. They are well known company and have about 200 people, which I am still learning names lol.

With this job, I go home at the end of the day feeling great knowing I've helped alot of people (don't want to say too much, but the sector they deal with is very popular), i'm not stressed nor depressed and look forward to the next day to see what other problems they can find for me to fix:D

I wouldn't say I have had bad experiences, as all my interviews have gone good and excellent feedback given, it's just competition on the day.

The job I have now, I was umming & harring whether to apply for it, as altho it was Junior level, it was around 8K less than my previous job, but in the end it's something I want to do and the company involved makes it better.

On a daily basis, I'm in/out of multiple offices, and enjoying it.

It's not all about money in the end, it's being happy at what you do. If all goes well, I do see myself being there long-term.

Also, this role I am doing now appartently there was 12 interviewed, so I feel I did well.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a job interview but I went for an interview at one of the posher colleges of London University, and went through all the palaver - including sitting an entrance exam which am sure I passed as I passed all the others around that time - and then came the interview. Problem was, the bloke had a lazy eye and one of his eyes was drilling into me, the other looking at the far wall and I just didn't know where to look (I was only 18:o) and it was the only university entrance interview I ever failed... so I have to put it down to the humiliation of the Eye. He must have thought I was a right prat.

I had an interview for a teaching job and it went really well (I thought). It was a job I'd had anyway for a year as a supply teacher, and the Head had constantly approached me and offered me this job on a plate - no interview, nothing - but I dithered, as I wasn;t sure. Then i woke up one day and thought "I'm going for it!" Only to be told she'd put the ad in the TES that day and the governors had been told so it couldn't be retracted...

So this was being interviewed for my own job - that I'd been offered countless times.

But they were going through this corporate-crap-in-education phase where they insisted on 'de-briefing' you after the interview. I didn't get the job. I came second. To a 12 year old - straight out of uni with no work experience. Who was £12,000 a year cheaper for them to employ than me, I was told, later.

In the humiliating de-briefing (I just wanted to run home and have a good cry - didn't give a monkeys about being told how crap I was), I had to sit through being told all things were equal between me and the winner. So they chose her because she interviewed slightly better despite my interview being great etc etc.

A year later i did day supply in the school and the 12 year old teacher was having difficulties. A kid had escaped her classroom... and run home. A little primary aged kid, in a busy inner city area.:eek: The older staff were having a good laugh at her and saying they knew it would never have happened on my watch.

But I didn't interview as well or look as shiny (or cheap) on the day. So I couldn't feel sorry for the Head that she'd replaced me with an idiot - who interviewed well but was incapable of doing the job....:D
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I was interviewing someone and asked why they wanted they job; their chances dissapeared when they answered that their dad had made them apply.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

I do :) yay :cool:
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I had an email checking my availability for work. I confirmed I was available and was emailed the first name of the person who was interviewing me (no surname) a time to be there and building name, but no proper address. On Wednesday night after I had finished work (am currently filling in as and when needed on a West End show, but it isn't permanent), I emailed to check the address of the place I was going to. Thursday I got a confirmation of the place. The interview was to be at 9.45 a.m. on the Friday morning. I know not particularly early to some people, but Thursday was a 2 show day with me not getting home until 11.30 p.m. the night before. I had to leave at 8.15 a.m. to make sure I had plenty of time for travel as there was still snow in South London and I didn't know the area I was going to. I arrived well in time, got let into the building and sat there like a plonker for half an hour. I then had to stand outside in the freezing cold (-4) as there was no phone signal in the building and I wanted to check if there was a problem. Stood outside for a further 20 minutes waiting for them to ring me back to tell me what the problem was. As they didn't, I phoned again. One excuse was that there was trouble on a particular tube line (it was the same line I had travelled in on with no major problems). They then said they would ring me back again. Eventually at 10.45 a.m. they gave profuse apologies that they couldn't get hold of the person I was supposed to be being interviewed by. I said I was going home. When I got off the tube at the other end, there was a message left with profuse apologies that there had been a 'miscommunication' between the person emailing me and the person I was seeing. No offer of another interview, but to be honest, I don't think I would have wanted to have worked with the company anyway.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went for an interview in a shop years ago, t'was a part time position doing a 4 hour shift on a Saturday, at the interview I was told that I'd be in sole charge of cashing up for the week, and asked what would I do if the money came out wrong? I'd no idea what he was talking about (having never worked in a shop before) I said something about asking another person to recount the money.
    Next question was "what if it's still wrong?"
    Well I didn't know what you're supposed to do in that situation, and I couldn't understand why a "Saturday girl" would be in charge of the finances in the shop, so I stared blankly at the man, who started shouting at me for being incompetent, then said he'd sack me on the spot for such carry on

I backed away slowly, didn't make any sudden moves and ran for it!

Went for an interview in a Point-to-Point yard (that's racehorses), my Da told me not to wear my riding gear, and being an eejit I didn't. Of course the woman wanted to see me riding, but couldn't as I wasn't dressed appropriately, and she got really snarky at me for being so stupid as to turn up for an interview at a yard and not be dressed to get on a horse ...

Another time I went for an interview at a livery yard (wearing my riding gear), answered a load of questions, woman was practically offering me the job on the spot, then decided she wanted to see me ride (although I wouldn't be required to ride as part of my duties on the yard), she brings out this very nice young horse, so I got on and rode around the arena - as is often the case I 'clicked' with this horse instantly and he was trotting away beautifully. The woman was jumping up and down in excitement and told me to get off that horse and ride this other horse - her 18hh hunter, whom she'd let everyone she'd interviewed ride. Now if you know anything about horses, you'd know not to let just anyone get on and ride a huge, fit, stroppy horse. This horse was clearly not in a good mood, I managed to get up on it, and before I could get my foot in the off side stirrup, it took off (can't remember if it was a he or she!) head down, back up, dragged the reins out of my hands, pulling me out of the saddle at an extended trot round and round and round the arena. I was about to call out for help when I felt/heard a thump and opened my eyes to find I was lying on the floor, having been bucked off. I'd landed on my head (thankfully wearing a hard hat), and I wrenched my neck, bashed my knee and somehow taken a layer of skin off the front of my shin (I'd long boots on!)

The horse had then galloped out of the arena into the yard, where a girl was leading a pony, she dropped the lead rope, and the horse and the pony both took off, and someone had left the yard gate open, so they both took off down the road ...

:o:o:o

I never heard from them again, despite her assuring me she was still interested in hiring me!

Last one! Another horsey job, interview went great, woman hired me on the spot. It was live-in so I had to go home and organise myself, which included going for an appointment at the hospital (nothing to do with the job), I went for the appointment, and got home to the phone ringing, it was the woman telling me to wait till the end of the month before I came over. Okay. End of the month I rang her up and she spoke to me in a very nasty manner saying I'd lost the job due to my dithering. I asked her to explain what she meant, she cited the hospital appointment (which was an ultra sound to see if I'd an ovarian cyst - which I didn't) and the question mark over my health (there was no question mark over my health the ultra sound was basically a doctor wanting to try out this new fangled procedure), and then my refusing to start work till the end of the month. Erm you rang me and told me not to start till the end of the month!
    *tumbleweed*
    Well no matter, she'd given the job to someone else.

A couple of weeks later I got a phone call from someone offering me a job as a live-in groom, no need for an interview or anything as my credentials were excellent, and she knew the people at the yard where I'd been a working pupil who'd sang my praises ... I asked "who is this?"

Yes, dear reader, it was the woman who'd given my job to someone else... she pretended [badly] that she'd no idea who I was, had gotten my name from the agency I was registered with, recognised the name of the yard I'd worked at previously blah de blah. when she paused for breath I asked what happened to that lad called Mark whom she'd hired ...?
    She hung up.
  • Options
    GhostlyMaryGhostlyMary Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    OldBagHere wrote: »
    Got chatting, and he said: "Oh, you had no chance of getting that job. It was always earmarked for an internal candidate, but HR told the boss to get in some external applicants with the right skills sets so that all the paperwork would make it look like a fair process. You were an outsider just making up the numbers."

Sounds like X Factor :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once travelled 3 hours to an interview which was being held in Stratford on Avon but the job was based in central London. Got there and was told my name was not on the list. Turns out they'd put my name and address on the wrong letter template and I didn't have an interview at all. I cried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once travelled 3 hours to an interview which was being held in Stratford on Avon but the job was based in central London. Got there and was told my name was not on the list. Turns out they'd put my name and address on the wrong letter template and I didn't have an interview at all. I cried.

:eek::eek: awwww that's terrible!! :cry: