Multiscreen

urvileurvile Posts: 8
Forum Member
Having a very large extension nearing completion I asked Sky about adding another box for what was multi room which (sods law) is as far away and as difficult a route as could be from the dish and asked for advice. Their final suggestion was to find an independent installer myself and pay for it myself as there was no way they would install another dish even if I supplied it and the lnb and even though it would save half the work an make a much neater job. Like everybody else on here Ive been with Sky a long time and pay them what I consider a lot of money. This is supposed to be free installation! Am I being unreasonable thinking they might be flexible or just swallow it and do as they ask? Please be gentle Ive been on here a long time but rarely post.

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you read the wording of the offer it usually states free standard installation and from the sound of it that is not what you want. Sky would certainly not install a dish and lnb that you supplied as their installation includes a 12 month warranty on the whole installation. You appear to have no choice but to get an independant installer.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you actually ordered, or did you phone and and try to explain the situation?

If the latter, i would not trust a CS representative, they do not always know the right answer, so just order it, and wait for the installer to show up, see what he says.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Upgrade to Sky Q and use a Mini box in the extension connected via Wifi?
  • urvileurvile Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    If you read the wording of the offer it usually states free standard installation and from the sound of it that is not what you want. Sky would certainly not install a dish and lnb that you supplied as their installation includes a 12 month warranty on the whole installation. You appear to have no choice but to get an independant installer.

You are of course right in what you say about standard installation and twelve months warranty on the dish and lnb which I must admit I hadn't considered, my mistake. I was just trying to get Sky to negotiate an amicable solution to a difficult install where I wasn't expecting their answer to be "go organize it yourself" I think I will go with Sodafountains suggestion and just deal with installer and try to work some thing out. I however appreciate you and Sodafountain taking the time to respond.
    Thanks for the suggestion to get Sky Q but the idea that all the recordings from everyone in the house would be stored on the one box is a no no but again thanks everyone.
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    If your extension is near completion then I would see if you can run some twin cable under the floor or via the cavity to the loft. Just a suggestion. So many people build extensions first and think of cabling second. Sky only offer a standard install(as mentioned) so be prepared for that.
    Forum Member
    powar wrote: »
    If your extension is near completion then I would see if you can run some twin cable under the floor or via the cavity to the loft. Just a suggestion. So many people build extensions first and think of cabling second. Sky only offer a standard install(as mentioned) so be prepared for that.

My extension when I said near completion i should have said virtually finished. You are right in what you say many people think of cabling second however the extension is fully cabled with Ethernet, HDMI, high quality audio and I have used three Sky SR102 hubs two being wireless access points to give full WiFi coverage. The one thing I mistakenly presumed was that Sky would use the quickest and easiest route which would be to fix a dish on the wall and just drill through to where the Sky box will be situated just inside rather than run around the roof across dormers which will look lousy. I have already accepted that Sky only offer a standard installation and have decided as stated previously to go with Sodafountains suggestion and be "nice" to the installer. Thanks however for taking the time to reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urvile wrote: »
    My extension when I said near completion i should have said virtually finished. You are right in what you say many people think of cabling second however the extension is fully cabled with Ethernet, HDMI, high quality audio and I have used three Sky SR102 hubs two being wireless access points to give full WiFi coverage. The one thing I mistakenly presumed was that Sky would use the quickest and easiest route which would be to fix a dish on the wall and just drill through to where the Sky box will be situated just inside rather than run around the roof across dormers which will look lousy. I have already accepted that Sky only offer a standard installation and have decided as stated previously to go with Sodafountains suggestion and be "nice" to the installer. Thanks however for taking the time to reply.

Let us know how it all goes.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard installation??? What does this actually mean?
    well in my experience, it means surface mounted clipped to mortar cable route however long it may be.
    connect to existing dish or if a massive cable run another dish maybe needed.
    Forum Member
    certainly will
  • ivanwilsonivanwilson Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    When I got an additional box the distance to the original dish was such that the installer asked me if he could put up another dish, and he did. No problem.
    Forum Member
    ivanwilson wrote: »
    When I got an additional box the distance to the original dish was such that the installer asked me if he could put up another dish, and he did. No problem.
    Thanks for that. I hope for a similar result. The installation is booked for the end of next week so I will report back as to what happened
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    A twin cable can be run from the existing dish through the wall into the conservatory,
    I cannot see a problem with this - the cable run should not matter

Or am I wrong?
    Forum Member
    A twin cable can be run from the existing dish through the wall into the conservatory,
    I cannot see a problem with this - the cable run should not matter

Or am I wrong?
    The point of my original post is the distance from the original dish is 120m over a complicated roof with dormers and valleys all over the place. I was concerned about signal degradation over 100mn but the main concern was having twin lnb cable running across the roof spoiling the appearance. If run around the walls it would be 150m plus and no access through the roof void. Yes I know its turned out much bigger than originally planned. There is no conservatory, don't know where that came from but the kind people on here lead me to hope reason will prevail. I will report back as to the outcome. Thanks
    Forum Member
    Let us know how it all goes.
    Result.
    Spoke to the installer when he phoned who told me it would be no problem to fit a second dish.
    When he arrived (nice man) he told be he was happy to oblige but because this is a large extension and because of signal degradation he would have fitted a second dish as a matter of course anyway. As usual with Sky, the people who take our phone calls seem to have the bare minimum product knowledge and anything that isn't on their answer sheet is bluffed away.
    However I'm happy with the install so thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urvile wrote: »
    Result.
    Spoke to the installer when he phoned who told me it would be no problem to fit a second dish.
    When he arrived (nice man) he told be he was happy to oblige but because this is a large extension and because of signal degradation he would have fitted a second dish as a matter of course anyway. As usual with Sky, the people who take our phone calls seem to have the bare minimum product knowledge and anything that isn't on their answer sheet is bluffed away.
    However I'm happy with the install so thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Well done.

See, sometimes pays not to be nice and try to explain the siuation first :D