Options

Is the Wii U Dying Before its Begun?

Comments

• Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. This is just the barren launch period, which every console suffers from. Sure, Rayman Legends being delayed sucks - and it's an insane decision that will ultimately cost them sales. Wii U owners will boycott the game and Ubisoft are going to release it on multiplatform at the same time as GTA V. (Good luck with that!)

The Wii U launch has been quite shambolic, I agree. Sometimes, I wonder what Nintendo are playing at. However, it's worth remembering that despite all the doom and gloom, the Wii U is still the third best selling console of all time. Only the PS2 and the original Wii did better at this point. In fact you could say it's the best selling HD console ever. ;)
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Nintendo's previous console is a failure, hmm the Wii has sold so many that can't be the failure and 3DS while not as explosive as the DS has sold enough to not be considered a failure, what are you on about then?

I'm talking two factors.

1) the release of a console that has the previous owners not compelled to immediately buy. This means no immediate footprint of owners to make third party houses dedicate their resources to put games out

2) marketing and lack of - they have failed to push their console to the masses - this means the hype isnt out there, and therefore is another slow burner.

In the current economical climate, owners are not compelled to buy the machine because they are happy with their previous one. And the first party games they have are just rehashes of what they currently already own. Just like the 3DS/DS situation, except for perhaps Super Mario 3D Land, which didnt really set the world on fire.

The PS2. 360. PS3. Wii. You couldnt see consoles on shelves for weeks after they were released. 3DS and Wii U, there are tons of them. What does that tell you?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I don't like that fact u can't turn the gamepad off completely when ya use the pro controller ... Granted u can turn the display off but it still uses electric!!! :( (& mario should have been patched ages ago imo)

Yes agreed. I don't always want to be using the Gamepad when I am playing a game like Assassins Creed or as you say Mario.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I love Nintendo so much but sometimes they really don't help themselves. Complacency seems to be their biggest issue with no real sense of urgency to push Wii U into people homes. For me it's lead to confusion on where the machine is heading, at least 3rd party wise. Will it even be supported when the next-gen arrives? I don't care about chopped down PS4/720 ports, but what I do want are 3rd party exclusive titles that takes full advantage of the unique hardware, like the Wii received. At this point, there's not much in the pipeline that interests me, or at least not enough to warrant shelling out the best part of £300 for one with a couple of games.

Nintendo have been making some very peculiar decisions recently, the worst of which was the lack of analogue triggers on not only the Gamepad but also the Pro Controller

W.. T.. F.. Nintendo?

A lot of this is why I don't have a Wii U sitting under my TV. There's gonna be some incredible games released for it this year and I don't see it flopping. No doubt E3 2013 will be big for Nintendo, but they need to take a good hard look at 2009 and understand why that was such a exciting time for Nintendo gamers and Wii owners alike and replicate that success and back it 100%.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, The Wii U had a weak launch in terms of games that were available at the time of the release of the console. While it has taken a while for them to get their butts in gear, there are a few good games coming out for the Wii U this year alone. I have no doubt that the PS4 and the next Xbox will cripple the Wii U in sales. I feel that the Wii U still has a long way to go before it starts dying. They've hardly announced any new games for it yet, so will give them a chance.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Nintendo so much but sometimes they really don't help themselves. Complacency seems to be their biggest issue with no real sense of urgency to push Wii U into people homes. For me it's lead to confusion on where the machine is heading, at least 3rd party wise. Will it even be supported when the next-gen arrives? I don't care about chopped down PS4/720 ports, but what I do want are 3rd party exclusive titles that takes full advantage of the unique hardware, like the Wii received. At this point, there's not much in the pipeline that interests me, or at least not enough to warrant shelling out the best part of £300 for one with a couple of games.

Nintendo have been making some very peculiar decisions recently, the worst of which was the lack of analogue triggers on not only the Gamepad but also the Pro Controller

W.. T.. F.. Nintendo?

A lot of this is why I don't have a Wii U sitting under my TV. There's gonna be some incredible games released for it this year and I don't see it flopping. No doubt E3 2013 will be big for Nintendo, but they need to take a good hard look at 2009 and understand why that was such a exciting time for Nintendo gamers and Wii owners alike and replicate that success and back it 100%.

Agree with this. Mainly I think you need to lay the fault at Nintendo. They've been making some poor choices and mistakes recently.

It's not all their fault though i've been surprised at how negative a lot of Wii U press has been. So many websites have done editorials on with sensationalist headlines about the console being 'dead in the water'. And its obvious that some of the people writing these editorials have enjoyed sticking the boot in....It's only been out a couple of months!!!

My worry is all these negative stories will give a toxic reputation to the console before its really had a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    The last time a console got launched between generations, without support from EA and a controller with display was the Dreamcast (however I think that the Dreamcast was far more revolutionary than the Wii U is) and everyone knows what happened there.

Ninty are in a far better financial position than SEGA were so it is not likely to die anytime soon but I don't think it's inconceivable that this could be the last ever home console from Nintendo (I also think that the PS4 and Xbox 720 might be too).
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seoulite wrote: »
    The last time a console got launched between generations, without support from EA and a controller with display was the Dreamcast (however I think that the Dreamcast was far more revolutionary than the Wii U is) and everyone knows what happened there.

Ninty are in a far better financial position than SEGA were so it is not likely to die anytime soon but I don't think it's inconceivable that this could be the last ever home console from Nintendo (I also think that the PS4 and Xbox 720 might be too).

And we all play games and watch tv one one big box. Ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Agree with this. Mainly I think you need to lay the fault at Nintendo. They've been making some poor choices and mistakes recently.

It's not all their fault though i've been surprised at how negative a lot of Wii U press has been. So many websites have done editorials on with sensationalist headlines about the console being 'dead in the water'. And its obvious that some of the people writing these editorials have enjoyed sticking the boot in....It's only been out a couple of months!!!

My worry is all these negative stories will give a toxic reputation to the console before its really had a chance.

Don't worry. It's normal for gaming sites to doom Nintendo consoles during launch. It's one of the reasons Nintendo went past them and created Nintendo Direct where they can deliver news without the negative spin.

Remember all the articles about how the Vita would "blow the 3DS away?" and how everyone went over the top about the 3D making you sick, and how the circle pad pro was an admission of failure? Exactly.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to admit I do feel for Wii U owners in regards to this Rayman situation.... absolutely farcical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Have to admit I do feel for Wii U owners in regards to this Rayman situation.... absolutely farcical.

They're getting a lot of flak about it in Miiverse.

http://i3.minus.com/iht01OE0pLQgC.jpg
  • Options
    TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    imo the gamepad & miiverse are the greatest innovations 2 hit videogaming in years ... It's a fantastic console ... once the 1st / 3rd party titles start flowing all this negativity will be nothing but a distant memory ... we just need 2 be patient. :)

Well said:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    They're getting a lot of flak about it in Miiverse.

http://i3.minus.com/iht01OE0pLQgC.jpg
    They're waiting for a bigger install base.

Consumers acting like consumers on Miiverse.
  • Options
    VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too early to say. I had no interest in Wiiu until I saw the new xenoblade game in the making
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I hear about the sony and microsoft consoles in the making, the more I cringe. The Wii U may not have captivated everyone so far but why should it have? The software is limited; the lack of information on future software is also limited.

Simply put: Give us details on a new mario kart, pokemon, zelda and mario 3D and you will see the console do better.

Software is key (imo) for this generation; the news of the new xbox/playstation not being able to use pre-owned games is quite worrying. Nintendo simply need to flood out the titles and follow them up with more and more.

For the first time ever, I'm struggling to show interest in any new gen console. When the n64 was released, I was like 'omg I want it!' The same happened with the gamecube when I seen super smash brothers; the same happened with the PS1 when I saw final fantasy. So far for this generation there is no games enticing me :(
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The current situation with the Wii-U doesn't bother me. I bought mine on the strength of the Wii's strong RPG portfolio - Those games, or the like, in HD, on the Wii-U was too good a prospect to pass up. The next Xenoblade game's recently been announced. Sweet.

Plus Mario Kart, F Zero, Zelda, more Mario games to look forward to. No, not worried at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nemokins wrote: »
    The more I hear about the sony and microsoft consoles in the making, the more I cringe. The Wii U may not have captivated everyone so far but why should it have? The software is limited; the lack of information on future software is also limited.

Simply put: Give us details on a new mario kart, pokemon, zelda and mario 3D and you will see the console do better.

Software is key (imo) for this generation; the news of the new xbox/playstation not being able to use pre-owned games is quite worrying. Nintendo simply need to flood out the titles and follow them up with more and more.

For the first time ever, I'm struggling to show interest in any new gen console. When the n64 was released, I was like 'omg I want it!' The same happened with the gamecube when I seen super smash brothers; the same happened with the PS1 when I saw final fantasy. So far for this generation there is no games enticing me :(
    Bester wrote: »
    The current situation with the Wii-U doesn't bother me. I bought mine on the strength of the Wii's strong RPG portfolio - Those games, or the like, in HD, on the Wii-U was too good a prospect to pass up. The next Xenoblade game's recently been announced. Sweet.

Plus Mario Kart, F Zero, Zelda, more Mario games to look forward to. No, not worried at all.

If this is all WiiU owners want then i take back my no WiiU isn't going to fail

It didn't buy a WiiU for the same old shit, i bought it for the promise of need things it can do, but even with lagging sales and the only thing people want is to demand the same old that is really going to get third party developers onside

Yes these games will provide a sales post but in the long term in won't help anyone, look at amazing new games like lego city undercover, looks fantastic and makes great use of the gamepad but nobody cares, cause they main character doesn't have a red cap
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member

It didn't buy a WiiU for the same old shit, i bought it for the promise of need things it can do, but even with lagging sales and the only thing people want is to demand the same old that is really going to get third party developers onside

Yes these games will provide a sales post but in the long term in won't help anyone, look at amazing new games like lego city undercover, looks fantastic and makes great use of the gamepad but nobody cares, cause they main character doesn't have a red cap

I doubt that anyone's actually buying a Wii-U just to play those games. However, they're going to be the bare minimum that many expect to get, and they will get them. the topic at hand is whether or not the Wii-U is a perceived failure - the Wii-U's success, or failure, will depend on the gamepad and its adoption by 3rd party developers, and the performance of Nintendo's staple portfolio of games.

People enticed to the console by the new features, that's great, but I'll guarantee you that there are just as many, if not more, who've bought the console because they're 'Nintendo' people. Of course the task for Nintendo here, is to keep both groups happy, as chances are, failure to cater to either will probably determine whether the console's a success or failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

we get the "same old shit" every christmas...

one of the "hottest games of the year" has turned out to be "actual shit"

i think Wii U owners would really appreciate a F Zero or Pilotwings title, apart from Mario and Zelda, these titles are what Nintendo are about

have your ever played F Zero GX?

its mind blowing, and would put to shame a lot of the "same old shit" being released today

anyway, these titles are few and far between, F Zero was a decade ago, Pilotwings 17 years ago and the last Metroid title was about 2006.

so again, its hardly the same old shit, i cant wait for MW4 and FIFA 14

you have bought a good console, it dosent need Black ops or Mass Effect, they were just proving a point.

and Lego City Undercover looks amazing

peace
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    The Wii-U was always going to "fail" in the public's eyes. The success of the Wii was a massive fluke on Nintendo's part which surprised even them given the trouble people had in getting hold of one. They literally got lucky and managed to tap into a totally different side of gaming that had barely been touched on before.

For Wii owners there is simply no reason to upgrade to the Wii-U. The majority of Wii's are in family homes and used for family entertainment, the Wii offers plenty of game choice to this day, and the "family" don't want to be playing the latest blockbuster game. The people who those games are aimed at already have an Xbox or a PS which also get those games.

I agree with you there, I know loads of people including myself who have a Wii and don't see the need to update it as it does what they want.
    If my Wii goes belly up then I expect i would get a second hand Wii.

The problem for me with the Wii u is the second screen. I don't see the point,
    You also have both Sony and Microsoft releasing motion sensored addons and releasing the same quality games as the Wii-U for a fraction of the price. By the time the next gen truly arrives, the Wii-U will be out of date and outclassed in nearly every aspect.

But will people buy the new PlayStation or Xbox if they can't get rid of their old games or even buy used games like they can at the moment?
    Again my Ps3 does what I want, I am in no hurry for another console and again if mine went belly up and I was not able to get a PS3 new, then I would get a used one.

But then I am not your typical games player, I got the PS3 for blu-ray and the only games I play on it is pinball. the wii i do play a few more games on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    IMO this will die off as soon as the Next Gen consoles come along.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love how the gaming community is in such a hurry to proclaim things either:

A: The WINNER!

or

B: Dead.

Sure the WiiU hasn't had a great start, and this doesn't surprise me, it's always struck me as a bit of a halfway-house for a new console (and having a non-capacative touchscreeen is a huge miss-step, in spite of the extra cost that would have entailed), but once the old Nintendo faithfuls start rolling in it'll get a bit of a kick.

Personally though I'm as disinterested in a new Zelda or Mario Kart as I am the next CoD or FIFA, the best experiences I've had over the last few years have been new games, the kind which I didn't grow up with, or are not annual gaming calendar fixtures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Flagship titles shift systems. I personally wouldn't buy a Wii U just to buy a game like Call of Duty when I can get it on the xbox 360 or ps3. Nintendo have always excelled in their first party games compared to the other consoles; that is their USP for me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nemokins wrote: »
    Flagship titles shift systems. I personally wouldn't buy a Wii U just to buy a game like Call of Duty when I can get it on the xbox 360 or ps3. Nintendo have always excelled in their first party games compared to the other consoles; that is their USP for me :)

agreed, i mentioned a while back the Wii U does not need black ops 2
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I know graphics aren't everything, however:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed
    we can now, categorically, finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U - the GCN hardware in Durango and Orbis is in a completely different league.