Options

have one direction sold more records than westlife?

2»

Comments

• Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i guess they would need to surpass TAKE THAT first, then WESTLIFE, then NSYNC, then BACKSTREET BOYS :)

but 32 million is already huge wow! let's see if they can continue
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Westlfie has had 14 number ones in the UK, that is a number one each year they were together in a respect. No matter how big 1D get, I don't think they'll ever match that success.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    Even if they surpass Westlife's tally it'll be some time before they pass the Backstreet Boys' total - over 130 million :eek:

Amazing record.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure One Direction will overtake them in time, remember a greatest hits album will be released at some point and these sometimes end up being the biggest selling album.

If the sales climate was the same as it was in the late 90's, particularly in America where BSB/Nsync were selling 10 million plus per couple of albums each. I'm sure One Directions figures would be even more impressive by now.

That said the sales climate as it is also makes One Directions current achievements impressive and you can only imagine if they would have been on par sales wise with BSB at this similar point if the market was still like it was in the late 90's.

I always think it would be interesting to completely take out American sales to see how truly popular an act is. For example an album selling 10mill in America alone is greatly going to inflate sales.
    Nsync for example had two 10 million plus selling albums and one 5mill in the States which pretty much accounts for half their overall sales and that's just one country.

It would be interesting to see as all the boybands could potentially be different. The top ten list of boybands on Wikipedia is interesting as the first 8 are groups who sold multi millions of albums in America. Followed by Westlife and Take That who didn't, if you took American sales out of that list it would probably look very different.
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure One Direction will overtake them in time, remember a greatest hits album will be released at some point and these sometimes end up being the biggest selling album.

If the sales climate was the same as it was in the late 90's, particularly in America where BSB/Nsync were selling 10 million plus per couple of albums each. I'm sure One Directions figures would be even more impressive by now.

That said the sales climate as it is also makes One Directions current achievements impressive and you can only imagine if they would have been on par sales wise with BSB at this similar point if the market was still like it was in the late 90's.

I always think it would be interesting to completely take out American sales to see how truly popular an act is. For example an album selling 10mill in America alone is greatly going to inflate sales.
    Nsync for example had two 10 million plus selling albums and one 5mill in the States which pretty much accounts for half their overall sales and that's just one country.

It would be interesting to see as all the boybands could potentially be different. The top ten list of boybands on Wikipedia is interesting as the first 8 are groups who sold multi millions of albums in America. Followed by Westlife and Take That who didn't, if you took American sales out of that list it would probably look very different.

Out of One Direction's 11 million worldwide album sales, the US accounts for a little bit more than 3.5 million. So that's about a third...

And as for Westlife's 14 #1 songs: I guess we don't even have to start a discussion about whether 1D's sales in the UK are anywhere near Westlife's... That's not going to happen. 1D's great achievement is their huge worldwide success which happened within two years only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »

And as for Westlife's 14 #1 songs: I guess we don't even have to start a discussion about whether 1D's sales in the UK are anywhere near Westlife's... That's not going to happen.

I think possibly singles wise they may/ may not overtake Westlife 6.8million UK single sales however they have one single well on it's way to a million plus.

Some singles like Little Things and One Way or Another are on their way to 500,000 each and they are in the era where single sales are at an high with 3/4 songs this year alone crossing 1 million sales.
    It will depend on how long they actually continue ie one more studio album (three in total) and a greatest hits is usually the norm for boybands.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that is a very interesting analysis :)

which makes me think what if westlife broke USA market.. i think the time when they started did not just fit the american market those days in the 90's and early 20's , america get sicked of boybands when westlife is arising... it's just the WRONG TIMING for westlife, and the PERFECT ONE for one direction (especially today, with the social media era)

trying to think over your suggestion, maybe westlife and take that would definitely have a higher ranking :) (excluding USA sales )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi coun3spice

I've gone and done some research using US certification which are also sales ie Gold 500,000 and Platinum 1 million and from what I've found for US sales (albums/singles) taken them from the overall group tally. Obviously this isn't 100 per cent but from certifications I've found the table would look like this.

1.)Backstreet Boys - 93.5 million,
    2.)Osmonds - 77 million (couldn't find anything)
    3.)Bay City Rollers - 68 million
    4.)Jackson 5 - 66.3 million
    5.)New Kids on the Block - 59.5 million
    6=The Monkees - 50 million
    6=Westlife - 50 million
    8.)Take That - 45 million
    9.)Nsync - 27.5 million
    10.)Boyz II Men - 23 million

The last two I've always wondered about as both Nsync/B2M did seem majorly huge in the US but only moderate to minor outside of it excluding Canada of course.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi coun3spice

I've gone and done some research using US certification which are also sales ie Gold 500,000 and Platinum 1 million and from what I've found for US sales (albums/singles) taken them from the overall group tally. Obviously this isn't 100 per cent but from certifications I've found the table would look like this.

1.)Backstreet Boys - 93.5 million,
    2.)Osmonds - 77 million (couldn't find anything)
    3.)Bay City Rollers - 68 million
    4.)Jackson 5 - 66.3 million
    5.)New Kids on the Block - 59.5 million
    6=The Monkees - 50 million
    6=Westlife - 50 million
    8.)Take That - 45 million
    9.)Nsync - 27.5 million
    10.)Boyz II Men - 23 million

The last two I've always wondered about as both Nsync/B2M did seem majorly huge in the US but only moderate to minor outside of it excluding Canada of course.

That is even sadder knowing they are all broke now. And didn't they write or co-write their own songs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I've looked at their biggest hits and they haven't written them, songwriters have done it instead.