Options

my 0845 number

Years ago I purchased (for almost no money) an 0845 number and its been fine ever since. The company I purchased it from no longer exist and I do believe my account was passed to a different company. Now the time has come for me to change the termination number for the 0845 number but I have no idea who to contact.

Is there some place I can find out that anyone might know of or is it a case of contacting ofcom?

Thanks for any help

Matt

Comments

• Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Tart wrote: »
    Years ago I purchased (for almost no money) an 0845 number and its been fine ever since. The company I purchased it from no longer exist and I do believe my account was passed to a different company. Now the time has come for me to change the termination number for the 0845 number but I have no idea who to contact.

Is there some place I can find out that anyone might know of or is it a case of contacting ofcom?

Thanks for any help

Matt

Why are you using an 0845 number, and costing your customers (presumably you have customers) extra money over and above a call to a landline number?

Why not use a landline number, so your customers can ring you for 4p, 5p, or even free, instead of paying about 3p/4p per minute?

Personally speaking, I won't deal with companies using 0845 or 0870 numbers on principle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the positives and negatives. On the plus side an 0845 number looks more professional and so the customer might think its a more established number and on the negative obviously they cost more money.

You could always go for a freephone number but I imagine these cost a lot of money to operate.

Anyway, sorry I have no idea who you would contact.
  • Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    0845 doesn't look more professional to me, just smacks of rip-off calling.

However for some the benefits of 0845 are that you can point it to various numbers or route depending on time and date or whether a number is busy or not, without them being hit with a charge, as the revenue from the 0845 number covers this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raptorz wrote: »
    I can see the positives and negatives. On the plus side an 0845 number looks more professional and so the customer might think its a more established number and on the negative obviously they cost more money.

You could always go for a freephone number but I imagine these cost a lot of money to operate.

Anyway, sorry I have no idea who you would contact.

Why does a 0845 number look more professional? A landline number says where you are. 0845 or 0870 says 'remote' - it could be Walsall or Warsaw, Delph or Delhi.
  • Options
    Mr_TartMr_Tart Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have made an incorrect assumption.

I actually list a landline and an 0845 number and allow people to choose which ever will cost them the least.
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    I actually list a landline and an 0845 number and allow people to choose which ever will cost them the least.
    Although there's no difference at the moment, from 1/8/07, the 0845 number will be cheaper to call from a BT Together residential landline weekday daytime:

0845 - 6p connection + 2p/min. 6am to 6pm and ½p/min. 6pm to 6am 7 days a week.

01/02 - 6p connection + 3.25p/min. 6am to 6pm Mon-Frid, 4.5p for up to an hour 6pm to 6am Mon-Frid and at all times at weekends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have made an incorrect assumption.

That's better, but why have an 0845 number at all if you list a landline number?

My costs to a landline are 5p per call, Mon to Fri 8am - 6pm, free at all other times

Any call to 0845 is more expensive than that, and that's just putting money into someone else's pocket for no reason whatsoever.
  • Options
    sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PM me the number, i will check which operator its currently assigned to.