Options

Car Vehicle (Road) Tax

HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically my car is more than 10 years old and its 1595cc so I pay £205 per year. Which im generally unhappy about.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Theres something I noticed on the website for new car owners that since April 2010 for the first year they have to pay a higher tax rate as "This will send a stronger signal to the buyer about the environmental implications of their car purchase and will only apply to new cars, not already registered cars."

e.g. H 166-175 normally £180.00 but first year for new car = £250

I realise I have no reason to complain since im a cheapskate and new car buyers generally would not care but it seems rather a cheeky (in my view a slap in the face).

The government wanted people to buy new cars with the whole scrappage scheme before, but now charge you more on the first car tax to make you aware of "environmental implication"

I know the whole scrappage scheme is environmentally unfriendly but I suppose that has been discussed to death.

Point im trying to make is it seems rather disgusting how obvious the aim is not about reducing CO2 emissions, they really need to make an effort to not reveal its just money making.

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Basically my car is more than 10 years old and its 1595cc so I pay £205 per year. Which im generally unhappy about.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Theres something I noticed on the website for new car owners that since April 2010 for the first year they have to pay a higher tax rate as "This will send a stronger signal to the buyer about the environmental implications of their car purchase and will only apply to new cars, not already registered cars."

e.g. H 166-175 normally £180.00 but first year for new car = £250

I realise I have no reason to complain since im a cheapskate and new car buyers generally would not care but it seems rather a cheeky (in my view a slap in the face).

The government wanted people to buy new cars with the whole scrappage scheme before, but now charge you more on the first car tax to make you aware of "environmental implication"

I know the whole scrappage scheme is environmentally unfriendly but I suppose that has been discussed to death.

Point im trying to make is it seems rather disgusting how obvious the aim is not about reducing CO2 emissions, they really need to make an effort to not reveal its just money making.

The example you quoted was H band. There are a wide selection of cars in A, B, C, D, E, F and G bands prior to that.

I personally think it's only fair that if you want a gas guzzling/high performance/big car that as a general rule you pay more road tax. And before anyone accuses me of being anti 4x4 (etc.), I do love Land Rovers :)

If you want to pay less road tax, you can get a less-polluting car. There are loads to choose from. Peoples arms are hardly tied.

I have a 2.0DTi which is in band G, and I pay £150 a year.. perfectly reasonable IMO.

If it was all about money making why would they charge ridiculously low/free road tax at the other end of the scale? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are paying 20 grand plus for a car are you even going to notice an extra 80 quid for the first year ? It will just be in your on the road price.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    U.K road tax is very reasonable compared to other places such as Ireland were you would pay around 900 -1000 euro for a 2.0 litre car per year in road tax.
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I personally think it's only fair that if you want a gas guzzling/high performance/big car that as a general rule you pay more road tax.

...on top of the extra duty you will of course pay as a result of said vehicle consuming more fuel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...on top of the extra duty you will of course pay as a result of said vehicle consuming more fuel.

At the end of the day, if you are that overly bothered about money saving that's another good reason why not to buy the gas-guzzling vehicle in the first place IMO!

It's a luxury, and a choice, there are lots of bands and cars before the really expensive ones - including functional and family cars.

At the end of the day, there are rewards for picking greener cars - and to the extreme, you can get free road tax if you buy a really eco car.

Doesn't seem a bad deal to me - and I'm not overly hung up by the environment - like I say, I have a 'Mid range' Vectra 2.0DTi and I pay £150, which I'm happy with. It's also nice and economic to run, but still performs well enough and is reasonably comfortable and luxurious.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »

The vast majority of all cars sold are within bands A-G, in which the first year rate is not different to the ongoing rate.

The "showroom tax" is really aimed at getting manufacturers to improve the efficiency of their vehicles - and they generally seem to be doing a pretty good job on that.
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, if you are that overly bothered about money saving that's another good reason why not to buy the gas-guzzling vehicle in the first place IMO!

It's a con though all the same. If we all jumped in Smart cars and other pea-shooters tomorrow, the government would shit a brick because of the lost revenue. So pretending that they care about the environment and are trying to alter motorists' behaviour when it comes to car selection is a fallacy, they know all too well that those who can afford to, will just pay whatever is demanded. They'll moan, they'll complain, but they'll pay it anyway.
  • Options
    simpsosimpso Posts: 133
    Forum Member

It's a luxury, and a choice, there are lots of bands and cars before the really expensive ones - including functional and family cars.

At the end of the day, there are rewards for picking greener cars - and to the extreme, you can get free road tax if you buy a really eco car.

Doesn't seem a bad deal to me - and I'm not overly hung up by the environment - like I say, I have a 'Mid range' Vectra 2.0DTi and I pay £150, which I'm happy with. It's also nice and economic to run, but still performs well enough and is reasonably comfortable and luxurious.

Am i the only one with a 2.0 tdi paying £205 this year then? Car has just turned 3 years old.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get yourself one of the following and you won't have to pay tax:-

'70 Dodge Challenger 440 R/T
    '67 Chevrolet Impala SS
    '70 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Just make sure to plan your journeys around the availability of petrol stations. :D
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is only £30 :D And I just bought it, a new car, my first car, two weeks ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a con though...........
    Exactly.

Running a 10yr-old 2-litre petrol-engined car for another 10 years will cause less environmental damage than that caused by manufacturing a low-pollution hybrid car such as a Prius.
    The 'High-tax cos you're hurting the environment' excuse is exactly that - a con.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but then are the government actually doing the job or clearly just making mone,y since if your buying a guzzler you clearly can afford to do so, so where is the incentive to change?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

Running a 10yr-old 2-litre petrol-engined car for another 10 years will cause less environmental damage than that caused by manufacturing a low-pollution hybrid car such as a Prius.
    The 'High-tax cos you're hurting the environment' excuse is exactly that - a con.

That example applies solely to The Prius - which everybody knows about.

Try again.

If you buy one of these cars such as a Peugeot 107 (?) that has £30 tax, or a VW Bluemotion Polo with Free road tax - and maybe even scrap an old car in the process, it's good for the environment. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's well known that since 1937, the amount collected in road taxation does not directly contribute to the upkeep of the roads.

I just wish the government would at least put the amount raised in collecting road tax towards expenditure on public roads, fed up with the state of some roads.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh just go and buy a bloody motorcycle! :p
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    erazertf wrote: »
    It's well known that since 1937, the amount collected in road taxation does not directly contribute to the upkeep of the roads.

The government receives c.£46 billion pa from motoring taxation (fuel duty, VED, VAT and business motoring taxes) and, in return, spends c.£8.8 billion pa on the road network.
    (Source: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmtran/103/10305.htm)

This means that around 81% of the revenue raised directly from motorists is spent on anything and everything other than the roads those motorists use in order to generate the tax revenue in the first place.

Or, in other words, for every £1 motorists have taken from them by the government, the government puts 19p back into the road network used by those motorists.
  • Options
    marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That example applies solely to The Prius - which everybody knows about.

Try again.

If you buy one of these cars such as a Peugeot 107 (?) that has £30 tax, or a VW Bluemotion Polo with Free road tax - and maybe even scrap an old car in the process, it's good for the environment. :)

Not really, because there are environmental costs both with the manufacture of new cars (between 12 and 28% of a standard gasoline car's emissions according the the Japanese studies quoted in this article, although it is hard to find non-biased sources) and the scrapping of old ones. As long as they're well maintained, cars of the 90s and 00s aren't that much less efficient than new cars. They tend to be lighter, which can offset the less efficient engine, for one thing.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the extra being collected from higher road tax is being spent on fighting all these wars and rebuilding their countries.

also being kinder to the enviroment by scraping an older car to make way for a new is not always a good thing. Depends on how *bad* the old car is and how *good* the new one is on CO2. I bet you wouldnt gain much or anything by replacing a 90's Toyota Starlet with a Citroen C1 petrol.