Cloud Atlas

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we just saw this , and I have to say I was very impressed .

first off - I'm one of those that has been very underwhelmed by the recent Oscar-bait movies such as zero dark thirty , Django , Argo etc. they were all ok/decent movies but nothing to get excited about , didn't take any chances .

this one does !
    But it won't make a penny . Trouble is its hard to explain , it has six narratives spread across several centuries and they kinda rhyme with each other . Mostly its about people rebelling against slavery in different forms .

and each narrative is in a different genre , one is a 70's political thriller , another is a futuristic post apocalypse , and another is -- (wait for it) -- a British tv sitcom .

then there's all the narratives within narratives and actors like Halle Berry playing different characters / ages / ethnicities .

Hugh Grant , Tom Hanks do the same .

It's also very beautiful , at times it's f*cking hilarious , and surprising , but long .

but - jeezus - you really get your monies worth it feels like 6 movies , an awful lot happens , it isn't slow or ponderous .
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top draw almost Blu-ray quality copy of Cloud Atlas has been online for months. Downloaded it last December I think. Not watched it yet. Film sank without trace in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Top draw almost Blu-ray quality copy of Cloud Atlas has been online for months. Downloaded it last December I think. Not watched it yet. Film sank without trace in the US.

It's currently just about made back it's $102m budget, something most people (even it's US distributor) doubted it would do. I don't think it sank as badly as you made it sound, though most of it was from international territories rather than the US.

Given the cost of marketing and distribution I'd be surprised if it turned a profit, though with a few more openings and DVD sales to factor in, it could prove everyone wrong...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to miss out on a free screening the other day due to unforeseen circumstances. Is it worth paying to see it?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Had to miss out on a free screening the other day due to unforeseen circumstances. Is it worth paying to see it?

No. It's absolute tosh.
    Lavish budget, beautiful to look at, terrible acting, ludicrous make up (false noses galore) and lots of big names who apparently, can be talked into anything.
    SF for people who hate SF.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    No. It's absolute tosh.
    Lavish budget, beautiful to look at, terrible acting, ludicrous make up (false noses galore) and lots of big names who apparently, can be talked into anything.
    SF for people who hate SF.

:confused: I like SF and I liked this movie .
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: I like SF and I liked this movie .

Fair enough. Maybe it's just me.
    I'm the only person on Earth who loathed "Les Miserables" apparently.:)
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I saw his when I was in the states back in November and really enjoyed it, even though some of the make-up was a bit silly at times.

But then I'm a big fan of the book as well. And even having read the book, it still took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on in the film. Or more accurately, it took me a while to give up trying to figure out what the hell was going on, and just settle for being able to identify and connect vague themes.

So I can fully understand if this isn't a film that will appeal to everyone.
    Forum Member
    I wanted to see this in the cinema, but 3 hours is a bit too long for me. I had planned to import the US BD, but Warner delayed it to prevent people from doing that (bastards :( )
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to see this in the cinema, but 3 hours is a bit too long for me. I had planned to import the US BD, but Warner delayed it to prevent people from doing that (bastards :( )

A nonsensical decision from a financial perspective.

Film tanks, you bring it out on DVD and Blu-ray ASAP to try and maximise the slim chances of getting some extra revenue in.

I'd be surprised if Cloud Atlas takes £10m across the whole of Europe. And Warner will be well aware that it's been up on the Pirate Bay for months.
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    A nonsensical decision from a financial perspective.

Film tanks, you bring it out on DVD and Blu-ray ASAP to try and maximise the slim chances of getting some extra revenue in.

I'd be surprised if Cloud Atlas takes £10m across the whole of Europe. And Warner will be well aware that it's been up on the Pirate Bay for months.
    It didn't do so well in the States, but it hasn't exactly tanked. Anyway, Warner knew it wouldn't do so well, which is why they're only distributing it, rather than financing it....

It took £10m in Russia, with an additional £5.7m from it's native Germany and £1.38m from Italy, and it's still yet to open in UK, Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Finland, Norway, France, Denmark and Belgium.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the film because it can actually complement the book. Thank God the film ditched the 12345654321 narrative structure of the novel, and actually made effort in filling in the blanks from the original work (eg. the relationship between Sixsmith and Frobisher)
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I like the film because it can actually complement the book. Thank God the film ditched the 12345654321 narrative structure of the novel, and actually made effort in filling in the blanks from the original work (eg. the relationship between Sixsmith and Frobisher)

I was wondering how they were going to handle that but I loved that it was laid out like that in the book.

Haven't seen this yet, will be going to the cinema as soon as I possibly can!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Financially the film isn't too bad considering the lack of marketing, word of mouth or good reviews. Even $20 million internationally isn't too shabby, along with long term dvd sales with tv rights etc;

Had the film stored on my PC since december but since I've waited long enough will be watching this in the cinema.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Just back from seeing CA.....WOW!

It was Epic..I loved every minute of it, even the Hugh Grant bit's...9/10

But Tom as the Irish Gangster.:eek:...that was an Irish accent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    A few people have told me not to bother with the film but I loved the book and I can't wait to watch it. The noses do look weird though.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing this tonight and thought it was brilliant. It's a tad disorientating to begin with keeping track of the different strands, but after a while you get into the rhythm of it and don't notice the jumps.

I'd have happily sat through another hour with more stories.
    It reminded me a little of 'Oh Lucky Man' with Malcolm McDowell with different folk playing different parts in make up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched this a few times now, and definitely plan on seeing it again. It's a beautiful film, but it's not hard to see why it didn't do well in the US. Its basic message
    “Our lives are not our own. From cradle to grave, we're connected to others.”
    runs contrary to Western/Anglo-Saxon culture which is extremely ego-centric.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jy1541 wrote: »
    I've watched this a few times now, and definitely plan on seeing it again. It's a beautiful film, but it's not hard to see why it didn't do well in the US. Its basic message
    “Our lives are not our own. From cradle to grave, we're connected to others.”
    runs contrary to Western/Anglo-Saxon culture which is extremely ego-centric.

Yes but counter to that, you also had the anti slavery message.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Just back from seeing this tonight and thought it was brilliant. It's a tad disorientating to begin with keeping track of the different strands, but after a while you get into the rhythm of it and don't notice the jumps.

I'd have happily sat through another hour with more stories.
    It reminded me a little of 'Oh Lucky Man' with Malcolm McDowell with different folk playing different parts in make up.

It reminded me of 'Being Human' with Robin Williams.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing experience, it completely sucked me in.
    It's not without fault but it's fascinating and enthralling.
    Great music too.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't get past the first 20 minutes or so, and I'm not one to give up on stuff as a rule, but nothing about it grabbed me at all. I was totally bored by it.
    Might try again another time.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't get past the first 20 minutes or so, and I'm not one to give up on stuff as a rule, but nothing about it grabbed me at all. I was totally bored by it.
    Might try again another time.

As I said above, it takes a while to get into the rhythm of things. But eventually you get there and the three hours Flys past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    superb.should have been nominated for best film at the oscars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    From what I can see from reviews like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvRXdzB9Ack

And the comments on here I dont think I will get past the first 20mins - Seems too confusing to me :s