Options

Cat is going mental in the litter box

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, I posted here a short while about my new rescue cat and got some good advice, so thought I'd come back.
So I got a female cat, aged six, two weeks ago from the local animal shelter. She's settled in well so far, and has been using her box well. But in the last few days she's started going in there all the time and doing the whole burying routine, except she isn't actually going to the toilet (she still goes, just not every time she's in the litter box). Sometimes when she's hyper she'll run in there and kick the litter all over the place.
Came home today and the whole flat was covered in the little pebbles! She didn't used to do this, is it normal?
I keep the litter box clean, although I use the clumping litter and just take out the 'bad' bits, leaving the rest in. I was thinking of just removing all of it tomorrow and replacing it with fresh stuff, as it's getting a bit stale now. Maybe the cat doesn't like the smell?

Comments

• Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
    Forum Member
    My cats have these hyper moments, luckily I have the type of litter tray with a top, so not too much litter gets spread around. You could try different types of litter, in case that happens to be the problem, but i'm inclined to think she is just making herself at home. :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definately try cleaning it all out and giving your cat fresh litter, they smell things that we don't! Also, I have a tray with a lid because one of my cats would kick litter everywhere and it really does reduce the mess.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a hooded litter tray as one of mine likes to get in there and have a funny five minutes.

Plus if it's "going stale" you need to change it all anyway. Did you keep the same litter she had when she was at her previous home? Now she's a bit more settled at your house, she might be noticing differences like that.
    :)
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes my cat gets more active or excited in her tray when she is building up to do a poo.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    When I adopted 2 cats I placed 3 trays around the house, they both used the same one for toileting and the other 2 became their play areas. They used to roll around in the litter and just chuck it about. I used to come home to catsan litter scattered far and wide! It was an absolute pain to clear up so I got rid of 2 trays and decided to just use one larger hooded tray which kept the litter contained. Only one of my cats ever uses that tray now, the other 2 only ever go outside - I've been sorting out the garden in the last week and have lots of cat poo to clear up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    If she's definatley not going she may be suffering from a blockage or urine infection, both common after a move- I'd get her vet checked.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a hooded litter tray, but she still somehow manages to chuck it about everywhere. There's loads of litter embedded on her paws now as she is in the tray constantly. She did using a different type of litter at the shelter, but she had no problem with the change at first. She is still using the tray to go to the toilet, but the problem is she is also using it to play in, and the litter gets absolutely everywhere, which isn't very hygienic. I've cleaned everything out and put fresh litter in now, but it hasn't made any difference, in fact it's made her even more excited and hyper...
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cats love the noise it makes and have a lovely time with it. I got a cat loo, so that there was no mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, I posted here a short while about my new rescue cat and got some good advice, so thought I'd come back.
    So I got a female cat, aged six, two weeks ago from the local animal shelter. She's settled in well so far, and has been using her box well. But in the last few days she's started going in there all the time and doing the whole burying routine, except she isn't actually going to the toilet (she still goes, just not every time she's in the litter box). Sometimes when she's hyper she'll run in there and kick the litter all over the place.
    Came home today and the whole flat was covered in the little pebbles! She didn't used to do this, is it normal?
    I keep the litter box clean, although I use the clumping litter and just take out the 'bad' bits, leaving the rest in. I was thinking of just removing all of it tomorrow and replacing it with fresh stuff, as it's getting a bit stale now. Maybe the cat doesn't like the smell?

One of our previous cats used to kick all the litter around sometimes. Having a hooded litter tray might help.

I would recommend changing the entire tray once a week - that's what I do. I don't think it's the smell causing your cat to react like this though, she's more likely just letting off some energy - you did say she does the litter kicking thing when she's hyper!
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emptying the litter tray once a week !!!!
    I wouldnt want to live in your house.
    Our cats tray gets scooped several times every day.
    Even then it needs to be emptied every other day.
    Cat wee has a very strong oudour
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Emptying the litter tray once a week !!!!
    I wouldnt want to live in your house.
    Our cats tray gets scooped several times every day.
    Even then it needs to be emptied every other day.
    Cat wee has a very strong oudour

If you're referring to my post, then you've got the wrong idea!

No of course I don't clean the litter tray once a week! I scoop out the used litter 2 or 3 times a day (whenever there's anything in it really), and then once a week all the litter gets completely removed and the whole tray disinfected.

Emptying the entire tray every other day is a bit excessive. I don't think I know anyone else who does that.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midnight Moggy
    Despite scooping several times daily,After 2 days the cat litter is wet from wee & stinks.
    So it gets emptied & cleaned