The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well what a load of tripe today! I'm sick of this Kerry/Cameron/Smithy storyline. Oh never mind that a man has a bomb strapped to him and could die, taking others out in the process, let's all go on about if Kerry cheated on Cameron and slept with Smithy or was it rape? We may never care. Cue lots of injured male pride and macho bravado and Kerry's quivering fish lips, causing her to take her eye off the ball and man blows up. Is she dead? God I hope so. Ooh the soapy cliffhanger....until next time.

So much shouting and screeching in one episode, it got right on my nerves!
    Is it just me or does nearly every episode lately feature someone being raped?
  • CBel27CBel27 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Is it just me or does nearly every episode lately feature someone being raped?

A great quote from DCI Meadows himself, actor Simon Rouse:
    It did get a bit frantic at one stage - even the coffee machines were looking at each other. I'm the only person in Sun Hill who hasn't been raped. I keep looking over my shoulder but it's not happened yet - (Simon Rouse).

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The month before last wasnt too bad, The Bill seemed to be getting back on track, less soap stuff and more about the crime, but the last few weeks have gone back to being a bit poor,, i had to Fast Forward through most of the Hunter rubbish and now i am Fast Forwarding through all this rape stuff, i honestly wonder how some of the storylines got past the discussion phase, let alone the filming.
    Forum Member
    Plus only 2 people knew about the supposed rape, Kent who put the idea in her mind, and the fat copper who she told, so how, all of a sudden is there a rumour, Surely Kerry would know it could only be Kent or the fat copper that told everyone :confused::confused:

plus the actor playing the bank robber was awful, really poor acting imo
  • Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Kerry's life is one long soapy drama & I am very bored of it. Kent creeps me out & Todd Carty is, IMO, very wooden. Cameron doesn't look like a copper, to me he's the guy from Neighbours. Dunbar's storyline is pretty implausible, but at least the actress is decent ....
    And there's the introduction of Powell and Bryant in the near future, who I always thought were boring characters. There's also the stupid Radford storyline with Thatcher. The only thing to look forward to is the re-appearance of Beech.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    The month before last wasnt too bad, The Bill seemed to be getting back on track, less soap stuff and more about the crime, but the last few weeks have gone back to being a bit poor,, i had to Fast Forward through most of the Hunter rubbish and now i am Fast Forwarding through all this rape stuff, i honestly wonder how some of the storylines got past the discussion phase, let alone the filming.

In older eras of The Bill the sort of storyline featured today would've been all about the siege and the tension, but in this era they tacked on so much personal drama it got too much like a soap opera. I didn't mind a bit of their personal lives being shown but a lot of the storylines dragged on and on and it just got tiresome.
  • CBel27CBel27 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    In older eras of The Bill the sort of storyline featured today would've been all about the siege and the tension, but in this era they tacked on so much personal drama it got too much like a soap opera. I didn't mind a bit of their personal lives being shown but a lot of the storylines dragged on and on and it just got tiresome.

Unfortunately, it was these personal stories and soapy elements that were drawing in the ratings because they were attracting the Hollyoaks demographic. That's why Paul Marquess was brought in; to turn the whole show into a sensationalist soap, whilst still retaining the police POV. But as you've all noticed, you don't get a regular crime story without some sort of personal story intervening…

ITV knew what they were doing at the time. The Bill was on its last legs by 2001 and they had 2 options: kill the show or drastically change it. Although PM was able to boost the ratings, it was only a temporary fix, and when Jonathan Young brought the show back to a more grounded reality, the 'sensationalist viewers' jumped ship.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus only 2 people knew about the supposed rape, Kent who put the idea in her mind, and the fat copper who she told, so how, all of a sudden is there a rumour, Surely Kerry would know it could only be Kent or the fat copper that told everyone :confused::confused:

plus the actor playing the bank robber was awful, really poor acting imo

there no need to be rude, about anyone on the bill OP >:(>:(
    Forum Member
    Cameron was worried that Kerry wouldn't cope with the stress of dealing with a man who had a bomb strapped to him. Well if he hadn't gone and nagged at her about their personal problems and taken her attention away from the man with the bomb she would've coped. Duh!!!
    Forum Member
    I'm confused now tbh, i have no idea who was where and what was said :D , ive got no idea what Kent is up to either, it seems a whole lot of hassle for nothing imo, unless he fancies Kerry, but as i doubt she fancies him whats the point in making all this Smithy stuff up :confused:
    Forum Member
    Cameron was worried that Kerry wouldn't cope with the stress of dealing with a man who had a bomb strapped to him. Well if he hadn't gone and nagged at her about their personal problems and taken her attention away from the man with the bomb she would've coped. Duh!!!

Yeah,, this storyline is nonsense tbh, everyone talking about the so called rape at that time was ridiculous imo, and Kents meddling makes no sense to me, his character just seems a poor re-run of what Madford got up to
    Forum Member
    Yeah,, this storyline is nonsense tbh, everyone talking about the so called rape at that time was ridiculous imo, and Kents meddling makes no sense to me, his character just seems a poor re-run of what Madford got up to

And I think this is going to drag on for quite a while ^_^
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have I missed something or has no one at Sun Hill realised that Maggie is a former girlfriend of Don Beech? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Todays episode was really edited today, it leaves you wondering what the hell happened, it spoils the episode
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Have I missed something or has no one at Sun Hill realised that Maggie is a former girlfriend of Don Beech? :confused:

Did anyone other than Gary Best and the new guy interview her?? If they were the only ones its not surprising that didn't recognise her as neither of them were at Sun Hill when the whole Don Beech business was occuring
    Todays episode was really edited today, it leaves you wondering what the hell happened, it spoils the episode

From what I can gather the prison's Mr Big and his sidekick gave Terry some spiked tobbacco and attempted to hang him. Presumably Drama felt they couldn't show that bit at the time of day that the episode was broadcast.

Speaking of which did anyone else think that the warning given out at the start of the episode about the content went a bit overboard?
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Did anyone other than Gary Best and the new guy interview her?? If they were the only ones its not surprising that didn't recognise her as neither of them were at Sun Hill when the whole Don Beech business was occuring

From what I can gather the prison's Mr Big and his sidekick gave Terry some spiked tobbacco and attempted to hang him. Presumably Drama felt they couldn't show that bit at the time of day that the episode was broadcast.

Speaking of which did anyone else think that the warning given out at the start of the episode about the content went a bit overboard?

ahh,,thanks all we saw was someone hoding tobacco, and the Terry holding his neck :D:D, instead of cutting it, they should put up a blank screen with writing telling us what is going on :D, that way part of the plot isnt missed
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat bloke who killed Des in the cell, it was him with the glasses from doctors wasn't it ?
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Fat bloke who killed Des in the cell, it was him with the glasses from doctors wasn't it ?

Yes it was. Dr Al Haskey a.k.a Ian Midlane
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kay_El wrote: »
    Yes it was. Dr Al Haskey a.k.a Ian Midlane

Thanks, i knew he looked familiar :D
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Just catching up on the last few episodes. The Perkins undercover episode seemed badly edited! Anyone else think this?
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up on the last few episodes. The Perkins undercover episode seemed badly edited! Anyone else think this?

It was. And it wasn't because of particular scenes, because the late-night repeat was the same apparently.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Terry Perkins prison episode is one of PM's best.
    Forum Member
    How many times could Kerry say "I was confused" ?!!!
    I hope that's the end of that storyline now.
  • Night OwlNight Owl Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    How many more rape stories can they do? They seem obsessed with rape for some reason, it's very boring now.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    It was. And it wasn't because of particular scenes, because the late-night repeat was the same apparently.

Yep. It's not just me then? :(