Options

confused about pregnancy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently just had an abortion and needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience. I went on the pill straight after it and have been on the pill now for over three weeks. The thing is, i've been getting very light bleeding and am unsure whther or not this is my period. After my abortion I was given antibiotics to stop infections and was a tad worried this may have reacted with the pill, so to air on the side of caution yesterday i did two pregancy tests. One of them had a very light diagnol line in the result window to match the control window and the other one i did had a line but it was very very light, you also couldn't make it out. I went to the doctors today and they said even though its very unlikely i'm pregnant again, if my period doesn't start i should go back and see them in a week. The thing thats confsing is, I'm on the pill so why were the pregnancy tests showing very light but positive results?

Comments

• Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that the termination and the pill have messed your hormones up so that the tests are giving a false positive?
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antibiotics can stop the pill working, so I hate to say it but if you've had sex since you went on the pill and have been taking the anti-b's then theres a chance you might be pregnant again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Have you had sex since the abortion?

Antibiotics can affect how oestrogen (the active ingredient in the contraceptive pill) is absorbed into your body. This can make the pill less effective, and you'll need to use an additional form of contraceptive, such as a condom. You should use the additional form of contraceptive while you're taking antibiotics, and for one week after you stop.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/843.aspx?CategoryID=60&SubCategoryID=178
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be that pregnancy hormones are still showing up in your system, enough to fool the test into giving you a false positive.

I would go and see your doctor if I were you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    When I did a test with my eldest I was only just pregnant at the time and got a very faint line in the result window. I'd had the test done at a chemist and they said it was because although the hormone was present it was very low - having said that, that was 13 years ago so tests have probably improved loads since then!

Though on the other hand like mirandashell says it's just as likely to be your hormones still recovering from the termination. Did your doctor suggest that a pregnancy test at this stage could give a false result?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Antibiotics can stop your pill working correctly. Try another test again in a week or see your doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collette wrote: »
    When I did a test with my eldest I was only just pregnant at the time and got a very faint line in the result window. I'd had the test done at a chemist and they said it was because although the hormone was present it was very low - having said that, that was 13 years ago so tests have probably improved loads since then!

Though on the other hand like mirandashell says it's just as likely to be your hormones still recovering from the termination. Did your doctor suggest that a pregnancy test at this stage could give a false result?

well i suggested it to the doctor about how I may still be carrying the pregnancy hormones and she said it was possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then maybe the best idea, as others have suggested, is to do another test in a week or so and use condoms for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both doctors said it was very unlikely i'm pregnant again and its just a false positive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good. Just give it some time, then and things should go back to normal. A termination will mess your hormones up for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frazzles wrote: »
    Both doctors said it was very unlikely i'm pregnant again and its just a false positive

Very unlikely, but not impossible if you have been having sex since your abortion whilst you are on the anti-b's. Not trying to worry you, but surely someone told you this when they put you on the pill?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mother looked at the tests and she said she doesn't think i am, she said it may be just something to so with the things they use in the things, like litmuss paper. She said the lines may be light but not that light. She should know as she works in a hospital
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Very unlikely, but not impossible if you have been having sex since your abortion whilst you are on the anti-b's. Not trying to worry you, but surely someone told you this when they put you on the pill?

no, in fact it was me that asked if anti-biotics affect the pill and he didn't know so had to ask another doctor :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, in fact it was me that asked if anti-biotics affect the pill and he didn't know so had to ask another doctor :rolleyes:

Then he needs reporting to the GMC, because thats pretty much one of the biggest causes of unplanned pregnancies with women on the pill. You take the pill correctly and its 98% effective, BUT antibiotics can and will interfere with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    If you've had an abortion, a pregnancy test result may stay positive for a few weeks afterwards. See your GP if the test still gives a positive result after four week

You can get pregnant on the pill, as it isn't 100% effective. It can be less effective while taking antibiotics.

So, it could be a positive result, a false positive or an evaporation line.

How long did you leave the test before reading the results?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then he needs reporting to the GMC, because thats pretty much one of the biggest causes of unplanned pregnancies with women on the pill. You take the pill correctly and its 98% effective, BUT antibiotics can and will interfere with it.

mmm I did think it was odd he didn't know about that, like I knew about it and i'm not a doctor. I'm not taking them anymore but they we'ren't exactly strong antibiotics, they didn't appear to do anything really
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness to the doctor, I think it is only SOME anti-biotics that can affect the pill, but to be on the safe side it is to be assumed ALL anti-biotics will.

I'm sure that if you wanted to know specifically that the anti-biotics you were taking would definately affect the pill then a doctor might need to check that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've had an abortion, a pregnancy test result may stay positive for a few weeks afterwards. See your GP if the test still gives a positive result after four week

You can get pregnant on the pill, as it isn't 100% effective. It can be less effective while taking antibiotics.

So, it could be a positive result, a false positive or an evaporation line.

How long did you leave the test before reading the results?

Just as normal like it says on the label, a few minutes. The thing turned pink, then the thick bold line appeared in the control window, while the result window was just clear, until after a few minutes when the very light line appeared. When I actually was pregnant, like over a month ago and did a test the lne in the result window was a very thick bold line.
    And yes i have had sex since the abortion but have taken the pill everyday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    In fairness to the doctor, I think it is only SOME anti-biotics that can affect the pill, but to be on the safe side it is to be assumed ALL anti-biotics will.

I'm sure that if you wanted to know specifically that the anti-biotics you were taking would definately affect the pill then a doctor might need to check that.

Yeah like tetrysal can (I think thats how you spell it) the one you take for acne, that can affect it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yes i have had sex since the abortion but have taken the pill everyday

Really not being funny, but you've just terminated an unwanted pregnancy. Perhaps you should lay off sex until your body is back to normal, you are used to the pill and you've got your head straight?

It must have been a horrible experience and it sounds like you've gone straight back into having potentially unsafe sex.
  • Options
    xRHBxxRHBx Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    stickler wrote: »
    Really not being funny, but you've just terminated an unwanted pregnancy. Perhaps you should lay off sex until your body is back to normal, you are used to the pill and you've got your head straight?

It must have been a horrible experience and it sounds like you've gone straight back into having potentially unsafe sex.

I agree. Also - are you sure the abortion has definatly worked?

SOMETIMES they don't
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about the abortion, I cannot imagine how horrible that must be for any woman. I could never have one myself.

Some thoughts- I thought you had to be taking the pill for at least a month for it to become effective? I did when I was on it anyway, both the Mini-Pill and Combined-Pill.

Antibiotics, as people have said, do really effect how the Pill is absorbed, I had a friend who got pregnant on the pill when taking antibiotics as the slack doctor failed to tell her about this.

I would go back to the doctors, seriously express your concerns and worries as you could be pregnant again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you have given birth/miscarried or had a abortion; preganancy hormaones stay in your system forup to 8 weeks and will show positive on pregnancy tests although your not pregnant =)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah04 wrote: »
    when you have given birth/miscarried or had a abortion; preganancy hormaones stay in your system forup to 8 weeks and will show positive on pregnancy tests although your not pregnant =)

Hmm, 8 weeks? Where did you hear this? I'm an A&E sister (not giving medical advice!) and I was coming on to advise the patient as I've been told by gynae consultants that a pregnancy test will stay positive for 3 weeks after a complete miscarriage or abortion, beta hcg (blood tests) take a bit longer to get to 0. Basically, depending on how long the abortion was, if the pregnancy test is positive, even a slight line, its positive. I hope this doesn't come as bad news. Best of luck.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    stickler wrote: »

What do you consider the body going back to normal?

And she was not having unsafe sex, she was taking the pill, and was not warned about the anti-bio (although i thought it was common knowledge), I fail to see what she did wrong for you to give her this advice.