Spider-Man To Be Rebooted Without Original Cast or Director

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: So stupid. Trying to reboot a highly successful reboot less than ten years old is bound to put people off.

There are so many ideas, so many cartoon characters, that have never appeared in film they could choose to focus on, but uninventive Hollywood would prefer to repeat the same stories again and again. (sighs)
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised! I didn't expect Sony to be so abrupt and restart the entire franchise at this stage. But i did expect Raimi to leave. As he's been granted too much creative control and the movies just haven't worked to a degree. I just hope they don't literally start at the beginning with another origin movie. Considering the first 1 came out in 2001, i don't think its necessary. They should start in the middle with him powered up and fighting crime.
  • Options
    MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    This is the dumbest news I have heard all week. Go on Sony shoot yourself in the foot. Totally unnecessary! :mad: :mad: :mad: *pissed off*
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on...3 movies in 10 years, and most people were highly critical of the last one anyway.

Raimi, Maguire et al had obviously settled into a comfortable little rut, and could have carried on churning out variations on the same riff for years.

Fair play to him for rebooting the franchise, but he has had his time - let someone else step in and give it a go.

Me...I would love to see someone go the Battlestar Galactica-style remake route, and really shake things up...something really dark.

God, if they had done that with the Venom saga we could have had something really special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god i always thought that tobey mcguire and kirsten dunst pulled of there respecitive roles very poorley and sam rami always seemed to want to focus on peter parker rather than spider-man himself so a change is brilliant news in my opinion.

but how much you wanna bet they'll cast taylor lautner as peter parker!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite pleased by the news never really like Toby Mcguire in the lead role and I wasn't sure about Rami as director
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Superman will be rebooted in a couple of years, you heard it here first.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that behind all this is the dark hand of Disney, who now own Marvel.

Perhaps Columbia's deal with Marvel is coming to an end and Sony wants to squeeze more cash out of the franchise before it (potentially) reverts to Disney/Touchstone, in which case claims that the 'reboot' is due to Raimi being unable to deliver a film before a 2011 deadline may be genuine.

Or perhaps the newly "Disney-fied" Marvel are unhappy with the direction of the franchise under Raimi and want a more straightforward "action-boy" crimefighting Spidey with a lighter tone and less angst, like the Joel Schumacher version of Batman instead of the Tim Burton version.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem like a strange decision, especially since the franchise isn't that old.

But then Part 3 was absolutely god-awful so maybe it will actually turn out to be a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »

Nah, the film rights are seperate it seems.
    Or perhaps the newly "Disney-fied" Marvel are unhappy with the direction of the franchise under Raimi and want a more straightforward "action-boy" crimefighting Spidey with a lighter tone and less angst, like the Joel Schumacher version of Batman instead of the Tim Burton version.

That's why the Christopher Nolan reboot exists, right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    But i did expect Raimi to leave. As he's been granted too much creative control and the movies just haven't worked to a degree.
    God, if they had done that with the Venom saga we could have had something really special.
    sam rami always seemed to want to focus on peter parker rather than spider-man

Raimi's first 2 versions of Spider-man are brilliant, the sequel in particular. It had the right balance of PP/Sm conflicts. And it was well known that Raimi never wanted to do the Venom story but was pressured into it by the idiot that is Avi Arad. So what do we have now, another reboot and guess what... Arad's still on board as a producer, mouthing off. Pillock. :mad:

This I fear is very close to the truth. Expect comedy noises, (ie 60s Batman TV series) and cheesy script from now on. :mad::mad:
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I'm really surprised they are talking about re-booting Spider-Man so soon. There has only been 3 films, there was definately scope for at least one more with Toby Maguire and Kirsteen Dunst.

Let's hope the re-boot pays off :)
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far far too early for a reboot of this, we're going to get a film that is similar to spiderman 10 years ago.
    Reboot seems to be the new remake in hollywood at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst Raimi was allowed to kick it old skool the Spidey franchise was in good hands.

The writing was on the wall once he was forced to shoe horn Venom into his Ditko inspired universe.

Unfortunately this re-boot will probably be more of the same Venom inspired crap.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Yes this definately appears to be the case. It's a bit of a lifeline for some of these Hollywood studio bosses. Whenever they can't agree on a good story or idea, they go for a re-boot. They have done this with Batman and Superman, though both of these franchises had long been forgotton about by the time both Batman Begins and Superman Returns where released and deserved a re-boot.

Re-booting Spider-Man which was only re-booted about 8 years ago seems a crazy idea to me.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we all know how the Schumacher Batman movies turned out for Warner Bros. and the movie going public in general, right? ;)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stan Lee seems positive about the news
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Stan Lee seems positive about the news

Bet he's crying on the inside though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maguire was brilliant but he was starting to look his age in Spidey 3 and the annoyingly silly 'evil' Peter stuff was hardly studio-enforced.
    The series can still work without Raimi if they get the right director and decent scriptwriters as the character/s were established long before the films.
    Just as long as the studio doesn't think combining Spiderman and 3D is enough to pull in punters regardless of the film itself.
  • Options
    daveyp2007daveyp2007 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I think its a positive step in the right direction, spiderman 3, while not terrible, had no rewatchability factor and wasnt great!!

I have never been a fan of Toby Mcguire, the reboot of the hulk i thought was a great success (compared to Lee's version anyway), so bring it on I say!!

Stan Lee better pull his finger out a create more filmable super heroes, otherwise fantastic four, daredevil, ghostrider will all be rebooted, now we wouldnt want that, would we??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How boring.

Instead of rebooting the same old franchises again and again, why not give some lesser known superheroes some attention?

Anything other than this groundhog day of endless Superman/Batman/Spiderman movies.

I'm really craving something fresh and there is such a huge wealth of superheroes and stories they could choose from, and adapt to screen with success if they handled with care. It's disappointing and frustrating to get nothing but the same old, same old all the time.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a double edged sword with the reboot...

A part of me says the time is right, the last movie was a disappointment and I would welcome a change in direction at this point.

But with another reboot comes another origin story...and it seems far too soon to do that all over again.

Superman Returns got round that problem by being more of a 'continuation' of the previous story - but I felt it failed because it tried to hard to be reverential to the Reeve era movies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Superman Returns got round that problem by being more of a 'continuation' of the previous story - but I felt it failed because it tried to hard to be reverential to the Reeve era movies.

I think Superman Returns failed because of the awful plot with Lois Lane's son. It pissed all over the "last son of Krypton" mythos and I can see why so many people hated it. The only thing I really liked about that movie was the beautiful film noir look it had going on. Otherwise it tried too hard but just didn't work.

If I have to sit through another Superman origin story in the near future, I think I'll kill myself, so I hope they leave that franchise alone for a good long while. I love the character and his universe but the origin story has been so overexposed I lose the will to live just thinking about the possibility of the Hollywood suits trying yet again.
  • Options
    Maidenfan666Maidenfan666 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Oh boy...
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2015 we will see the reboot of Batman TDK. :p