BBC Alba is coming to Freeview in Scotland

CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC Alba to be shown on Freeview

Finally, the BBC Trust have made their mind up as to whether BBC Alba will be on Freeview in Scotland. It has taken them over 2 years to decide, but today we've heard that it is coming [at the expense of 13 Radio Stations during broadcasting hours].
The BBC Trust said the service run by the BBC and MG Alba was performing well and meeting its aims.

It has served Gaelic speakers well and was attracting more than four non-Gaelic speakers for every viewer who uses the language, according to the review.

There is no news just yet as to when BBC Alba will appear on Freeview, but I'm guessing it will be soon.

BBC Trust Review

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be on 'Freeview Lite' relays as well as main transmitters? I presume so as it's surely part of PSB?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be on PSB1 so is universally available in Scotland.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was attracting more than four non-Gaelic speakers for every viewer who uses the language

I am always suspicious of figures like that, I am sure there is a tendency for people to claim they speak Gaelic or watch BBC Alba just for political reasons and to inflate figures.

I don't use the radio services on Freeview much but they are handy for recording the odd programme on the PVR when I know that I will not be around.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am always suspicious of figures like that, I am sure there is a tendency for people to claim they speak Gaelic or watch BBC Alba just for political reasons and to inflate figures.
    BBC Alba shows plenty of sport, which distorts the figures immensely, because people will tune in regardless of what language the commentary is in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do they squeeze this additional channel onto freeview there?

Is it at the cost of another service in the same way 2 out of 3 BBC interactive streams were lost for BBC HD?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it at the cost of another service in the same way 2 out of 3 BBC interactive strems were lost for BBC HD?
    I am very close to declaring Freeview unfit for purpose, space is simply too limited.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Alba shows plenty of sport, which distorts the figures immensely, because people will tune in regardless of what language the commentary is in.
    BBC Alba is a channel for Scotland, not just Gaelic speakers, so therefore will show Scottish sports. I notice no other channel shows them.

Is it at the cost of another service in the same way 2 out of 3 BBC interactive streams were lost for BBC HD?
    They are taking off the radio channels when BBC Alba is on [7 hours a day].
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    They are taking off the radio channels when BBC Alba is on [7 hours a day].
    Thanks for the answer. Sounds a bit odd doing that though!

Your answer enabled me to find this:
    "To do this could mean removing 13 of the BBC's UK-wide network radio stations from digital terrestrial television in Scotland at times when the channel is broadcasting."

BBC News
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This can only happen after DSO, so Glasgow and Edinburgh on the Black Hill transmitter will have to wait until June 2011.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This can only happen after DSO, so Glasgow and Edinburgh on the Black Hill transmitter will have to wait until June 2011.

I don't think it has to wait for completion of DSO in Scotland. I don't think they are removing any services apart than the radio networks so it just means that some areas of the Central Scotland will have to wait until next year but most of the areas with Gaelic speakers are already served by Freeview (Islay being the exception).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are all the BBC Trust reports. It is very interesting reading the Audience Survey one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/pvt/bbc_alba.shtml

I've got to laugh at the amount of people who have written, "It is for Gaelic speakers only; I don't speak Gaelic". Why, then, are you watching a Gaelic channel!?

I also have noticed the people who tend to be saying, "It's a waste of money" are mainly males in the 55+ age group. Sounds about right...
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy about this.
    As a non-Gaelic speaking Scot I'd rather have the BBC Radio Stations remain on Freeview all day.
    Bad move.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    BBC Alba to be shown on Freeview

Finally, the BBC Trust have made their mind up as to whether BBC Alba will be on Freeview in Scotland. It has taken them over 2 years to decide, but today we've heard that it is coming [at the expense of 13 Radio Stations during broadcasting hours].

There is no news just yet as to when BBC Alba will appear on Freeview, but I'm guessing it will be soon.

BBC Trust Review

This will come as welcome news to the tens of thousands of Scots Gaelic speakers in both rural and urban Scotland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ScotlandGaelicSpeakers2001.gif. This move also has the backing of the Scottish government too.

Although BBC Alba currently comes at the expense of some BBC radio stations during broadcast hours, once digital switchover is complete in Scotland (STV Central is still in the process, l understand), then there might be the opportunity to review things further.

I should add that the villain of the piece here is most certainly not the BBC; it is bastard Ofcom for pushing for more pay-TV channels on Freeview/DTT (gone up from 2 to 4 this year) which limits the number of channels that can be used for free to air television. Complain to the Ofcom scum over this and not the BBC because this is all of their making.

In any event, this will bring Gaelic language programming to a wider audience and l'd be willing to bet that BBC Alba would beat the 250,000 viewer target.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Alba is a channel for Scotland, not just Gaelic speakers, so therefore will show Scottish sports. I notice no other channel shows them.

Not true for their ML rugby coverage - if it involves Ulster BBC NI will show it live also, if Leinster/Munster then RTE or TG4 and if a Welsh team BBC2W or S4C.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Not happy about this.
    As a non-Gaelic speaking Scot I'd rather have the BBC Radio Stations remain on Freeview all day.
    Bad move.
    According to the Trust's report only 1,500 people will be without any access to these radio stations because of the move.

It's not that big a loss - people still have FM, AM, Digital Radio, Sky, Freesat, Virgin and the Internet.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    According to the Trust's report only 1,500 people will be without any access to these radio stations because of the move.

It's not that big a loss - people still have FM, AM, Digital Radio, Sky, Freesat, Virgin and the Internet.

Exactly. The radio services on Freeview are a useful bonus, but listening figures in the evening are low anyway.

I don't speak Gaelic, but welcome the addition of a new TV service. If I want to listen to radio everything is on DAB.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,146
    Forum Member
    Looking at the figures, if BBC Alba is to take up the space that the radio stations take, I don't fancy seeing what it will look like at those bitrates. :eek:

It's an interesting problem, because if they were to then stat-mux it with the rest then that goes against the BBC's platform neutrality surely, with the other BBC services being at a lesser quality than their counterparts on satellite and cable as well as on digital terrestrial in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It could be put on Mux.2 like S4C in Wales I guess but that would mean either STV/ITV Border or Channel 4 giving up a slot, which I can imagine wouldn't go down well with the anti-Gaelic brigade. :D

In all cases like this the solution was MPEG4, but other than with the DVB-T2 HD services, this ship has set sail...
  • The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Would be nice if they could get rid of 13 Radio Stations here so we get another channel on Freeview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if they could get rid of 13 Radio Stations here so we get another channel on Freeview

Freeview is just the name similar to Sky - should Sky only have Sky branded channels on it?
    Forum Member
    Freeview is just the name similar to Sky - should Sky only have Sky branded channels on it?

Who said anything about Sky :confused:something funny going on here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said anything about Sky :confused:something funny going on here

Just pointing out that you inferred radio channels shouldn't be on Freeview (your word in Post 19). Why not? Because of the name. If so should Sky Digital only have Sky channels? Can you not see the logic?
    Forum Member
    Just pointing out that you inferred radio channels shouldn't be on Freeview (your word in Post 19). Why not? Because of the name. If so should Sky Digital only have Sky channels? Can you not see the logic?

Perhaps they should put TV Channels on DAB next hey :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should put TV Channels on DAB next hey :rolleyes:

Now that would be something! On a serious note I do listen to radio channels on DTT and since the DAB signal here is iffy at best of times I tend to use Freeview to listen to these channels rather than DAB radio.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I don't think it has to wait for completion of DSO in Scotland.

Of course not, but it can only happen as DSO is rolled out transmitter group by transmitter group. Before DSO BBC local radio is on Mux 1 and BBC national radio is on Mux B so they cannot be replaced by BBC Alba. After DSO, all the BBC radios are on BBC A and this is where they can all be replaced.

So Darvel, Craigkelly and Black Hill which are due to complete Scotland's DSO in May & June 2011 will have to wait until then for BBC Alba. The rest of Scotland can get BBC Alba as soon as the BBC can get the technical changes made.

I expect Tele-G will cease shortly after the Black Hill DSO but it requires a change to the Broadcasting Act 1996 IIRC.
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Not happy about this.
    Bad move.

a pointless and waste of limited spectrum space as these radio stations are already available on FM and MW

its high time BBC ALBA was available on DTT