Debt Collectors

13»

Comments

• sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I worked for one for a month before having to leave due to my soul being destroyed, but we had a dialer which would call the same people up to six times a day, and we were encouraged to lie to people and tell them we would send sheriff officers to their door when we had no such powers. We would also threaten to send the debt to a solicitors to start legal proceedings, who were in fact us with a different letter head. So yeah, scum is right.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well its so strange that in 19 years of dealing with DCAs Not one was ever sent the paper work, when asked. I just tell them that if they cannot produce the paper work then they cannot prove any money is owed. What happens after that is a couple of more letters demanding payment as ask were is the paper work, the next letter i get is account closed. Then a few months later i get a letter from a diffrant DCA and the fun starts all over again. Then unless the case has gone to court after 5 years in scotland or 6 in england the debt is unforceable. And if a DCA trys to collect on a debt after this THEY have commited a crimanal offence

You should know if you are in arrears without wanting paperwork for proof so it seems to me that you are trying to wriggle out of owing money.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Debt Collectors/DCA's can't do that, an appointed and trained technician from the electricity/gas company does it.

A trained technician accompanies them along with someone to break into the property if required.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You should know if you are in arrears without wanting paperwork for proof so it seems to me that you are trying to wriggle out of owing money.

the advice of CAB is to deal with the company who you owe money to and come to some arangement, alot of companys dont want to do that, and will close your account. They then sell the debt on. Once the debt has been sold you no longer owe that company anything. You have never had a contract with DCA or had any money or service from them. So how can you owe them money. When they tell you they have bought the debt. You can legally say to them thankyou for paying my debt off. Goodbye You do not owe them any money. If they think i owe them them any money they can take me to court and show a judge the paper work i have signed for any kind of service or creidt i have had off them. The courts are there for this reason and they have nothing to lose because if it is proved i owe them money they would be awarded costs
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    A trained technician accompanies them along with someone to break into the property if required.

Yes, a locksmith.