The One Show: What's the point?

YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watching The One Show (on delay). They just had a fairly interesting piece on bedroom tax. Then they asked Lord Bragg and the reporter for their views. Then they quickly and abruptly did a handbrake turn onto a piece on boats or something.

Surely this programme would be better off spending some time debating the issues they highlight? Admittedly, I don't watch that often, but maybe some time should be taken over these things, instead of just force feeding report after report to the viewer?

This is clearly a family show and stories seem to be thrown at the viewer at break-neck speed. Do the producers not expect people to talk about what they're watching?

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I and many others enjoy it, its far better than wall to wall soaps on the other side, and if there is something on that doesn't interest you this few minutes there will be in 5 minutes.

Its well presented and interesting.

It covers so many issues normal news cannot cover.

This week raised £750k so far for Comic Relief.

People who want to 'plug' there shows want to go on it as they know they get viewers.

Its getting more viewers than other shows that were in its slot and sometimes were repeats of old comedy in the past. Bar news programmes it can be the most watched show on BBC1 on an evening.

The wildlife reports are great.

You can always switch over if you do not enjoy it, but I like it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    YaffiYuk wrote: »
    Just watching The One Show (on delay). They just had a fairly interesting piece on bedroom tax. Then they asked Lord Bragg and the reporter for their views. Then they quickly and abruptly did a handbrake turn onto a piece on boats or something.

Surely this programme would be better off spending some time debating the issues they highlight? Admittedly, I don't watch that often, but maybe some time should be taken over these things, instead of just force feeding report after report to the viewer?

This is clearly a family show and stories seem to be thrown at the viewer at break-neck speed. Do the producers not expect people to talk about what they're watching?
    It's the nature of the type of programme. It's also been lampooned on other shows because of it.
  • YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syhufc wrote: »
    It's the nature of the type of programme. It's also been lampooned on other shows because of it.

I know. It's not the handbrake turn (© Adrian Chiles) that I object to. It's the lack of debate. Or viewer interaction. Hence the pointlessness of it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I and many others enjoy it, its far better than wall to wall soaps on the other side, and if there is something on that doesn't interest you this few minutes there will be in 5 minutes.

Its well presented and interesting.

It covers so many issues normal news cannot cover.

This week raised £750k so far for Comic Relief.

People who want to 'plug' there shows want to go on it as they know they get viewers.

Its getting more viewers than other shows that were in its slot and sometimes were repeats of old comedy in the past. Bar news programmes it can be the most watched show on BBC1 on an evening.

The wildlife reports are great.

You can always switch over if you do not enjoy it, but I like it.

Oh dear. It wasn't an attack - just a (In my opinion) fair criticism. I agree with your points. I just think the programme could be improved if it wasn't so... haphazard
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YaffiYuk wrote: »
    Oh dear. It wasn't an attack - just a (In my opinion) fair criticism. I agree with your points. I just think the programme could be improved if it wasn't so... haphazard

Maybe the OP is suggesting that they cover one topic per show, for example bedroom tax, overseas aid projects, the plight of the red squirrel. With a video feature, a studio debate and viewer interaction by sms/twitter etc.....

I think the success of the one show is down to the fast pace and anti-soap audience. It could be way better, it just needs a decent production team with hundreds of fresh ideas per year. I am surprised that the show doesn't make good use of BBC regional channels for content at times.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Maybe the OP is suggesting that they cover one topic per show, for example bedroom tax, overseas aid projects, the plight of the red squirrel. With a video feature, a studio debate and viewer interaction by sms/twitter etc.....

I think the success of the one show is down to the fast pace and anti-soap audience. It could be way better, it just needs a decent production team with hundreds of fresh ideas per year. I am surprised that the show doesn't make good use of BBC regional channels for content at times.
    I'm sure it has in the past. They've had some reports/interviews that have an extended version on shows like Inside Out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »

Exactly, graham. Thanks for understanding and being the voice of reason
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Sir Michael Caine, its an honour to have you with us tonight, please tell us about your 60 year career in acting and all the fasinating stories you must have................but before you do...............its over to Lucy in Somerset who is going to tell us about the local vicars prize winning bergonias"
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not another thread knocking The One Show!

It's a magazine programme, magazine programmes tend to have a series of different items which often are not directly related.

It you buy a magazine or newspaper, do you expect them to just have one story filling their pages?

Go back through all the classic early evening magazine programmes from Nationwide through to Tonight and they all featured a range of different items in each programme. There are other places in the schedules for 30 minute programmes covering only one item.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too much crammed into it, a sort of "shotgun approach," cover enough subjects and we're bound to hit on something some people will like. But only time for little more than "yes" "no" answers from guests.
    It's a programme that's on in a lot of households, but I guess many just look up if there's something in it that interests them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not another thread knocking The One Show!

It's a magazine programme, magazine programmes tend to have a series of different items which often are not directly related.

It is indeed. But it tries to cram lots of magazine articles in to a short space of time. It seems undecided on whether it wants to confront current issues, subjects worthy of debate or simply be chewing gum for the mind.

Consequently you just start to get interested in something and then it's suddenly off to "send in pictures of yourself looking stupid" etc.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the bedroom tax segment was quite well balanced. The woman who hasn't worked since 2010 but has full rent paid for a house a family would be desperate to live in. It didnt clearly state if the woman was actively seeking work but I suspect she wasn't! Matt Allwright correctly pointed out that she was in a house provided by the state and as such the state has a duty to provide the correct housing appropriately and that as state stock she had no right to demand where she lived. And she had hideous decor! Lord Bragg as typically Labour, suggested it wrong she was being asked to downside and wanted more money that isn't available to build loads more houses in areas where probably local tories would hold a petition, object and prevent social housing being built in the first place!

That's why The One Show isn't about debate. See where my post was going?
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many have referred to it as Blue Peter for adults. I agree
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Many have referred to it as Blue Peter for adults. I agree

Many would consider comparing any programme with Blue Peter to be a massive compliment with it being one of the best ever programmes for children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any comparisons made of the One Show with Blue Peter are likely because the former appears to be dumbed down to the level of the latter. That's hardly a compliment and it certainly doesn't mean that the One Show is perceived to be "the best ever programme for adults," far from it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I thought the bedroom tax segment was quite well balanced. The woman who hasn't worked since 2010 but has full rent paid for a house a family would be desperate to live in. It didnt clearly state if the woman was actively seeking work but I suspect she wasn't! Matt Allwright correctly pointed out that she was in a house provided by the state and as such the state has a duty to provide the correct housing appropriately and that as state stock she had no right to demand where she lived. And she had hideous decor! Lord Bragg as typically Labour, suggested it wrong she was being asked to downside and wanted more money that isn't available to build loads more houses in areas where probably local tories would hold a petition, object and prevent social housing being built in the first place!

That's why The One Show isn't about debate. See where my post was going?

The BBC often appears to have "an agenda."