Comments

• ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »

Sorry, we across the pond are JUST getting this show, and I have lots of questions. Sarah Lancashire is beyond excellent, and the story is both gripping and mesmerizing. At the same time, it is VERY hard to watch, which I am doing in small increments. All the same, some parts are so glaringly unbelievable that I have to ask:

---Do cops really not carry guns in the UK, even after all this time? Even more glaring in Episode 4, I don't understand this.
    ---Why do cops travel alone, instead of in pairs?
    ---Why would Catherine would go down into a cellar, alone, with no backup, no call in for backup, no gun, and THEN, when she finds the kidnapped girl, NOT get her out of there immediately, rather than stopping to take off the tape IN ......... THE ............ CELLAR?
    ---Why didn't the kidnapped girl bash Royce's skull in with the barbell, wouldn't you have? It would have been justifiable homicide.

This episode reminds me of the finale of True Detective, which was astonishingly incredible and insulting.

I am finding the end of Episode 4 as badly written - should I be suspending my disbelief to accept that cops are dumb? I didn't get the impression thus-far that Catherine was dumb, just emotionally overwrought.

Oh, and I read ahead to the finale, and I'm not happy with the outcome. I wanted Royce dead.

Guess that's it, thanks. I'm surprised at the love for this show, albeit Lancashire is outstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK police don't routinely carry guns. Take it up with David Cameron.

Catherine herself states that she isn't going to deal with things rationally. I think the intensity of her emotions and her resulting state of mind made her reckless. She went even on a case when she visited TLR's mother. Re the kidnap victim - some people just don't have if in them. Her first thought was to escape and call for help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK police don't routinely carry guns. Take it up with David Cameron.

Catherine herself states that she isn't going to deal with things rationally. I think the intensity of her emotions and her resulting state of mind made her reckless. She went even on a case when she visited TLR's mother. Re the kidnap victim - some people just don't have if in them. Her first thought was to escape and call for help.

Wish I could. Doubt he would listen to a Yank.

Makes sense re Ann. I didn't hear anyone mention RU486/potential D&C. Shouldn't that have been Catherine's first concern, given her daughter was also raped by Royce?
  • melonfarmermelonfarmer Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Just watched this series and thought it was very good. The characters were well developed and thankfully there was a resolution to the story and it didn't just set it up for series two. I was also surprised but grateful that it dealt with such adult content.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ................ I didn't hear anyone mention RU486/potential D&C. Shouldn't that have been Catherine's first concern, given her daughter was also raped by Royce?

I've no idea what RU486 is... is it an american thing?

It was noticeable that we didn't actually know whether royce raped the madwoman's daughter. We know that she believed he did, based on one ambiguously worded note. I expected the point to me made clear at the end, but it never was.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Mifegyne/Mifepristone
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Is it going to be repeated does anyone know?
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Is it going to be repeated does anyone know?

It's a bit early to tell whether it might be repeated before the next series is shown later this year. It is of course available on DVD.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    It's a bit early to tell whether it might be repeated before the next series is shown later this year. It is of course available on DVD.
    Ok thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was noticeable that we didn't actually know whether royce raped the madwoman's daughter. We know that she believed he did, based on one ambiguously worded note. I expected the point to me made clear at the end, but it never was.

Sorry, it's a 'morning after' pill. On rethinking, it might not be applicable since we don't know for how long Royce was raping the kidnapped daughter, so she would need a D&C.

I think I understood her to say she wasn't pregnant - did I hear correctly?

I agree that it's one of the best shows of 2014 - I'd still have to give that to True Detective - but hands down, Sarah Lancashire is the best female telly actor of 2014. However, sad to say, I call bollocks on she and her sister letting Ryan come home alone. No way, no how, not never.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, it's a 'morning after' pill. On rethinking, it might not be applicable since we don't know for how long Royce was raping the kidnapped daughter, so she would need a D&C.

I think I understood her to say she wasn't pregnant - did I hear correctly?..................

My apologies, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I thought you were referring to the hypothetical rape of the policeperson's daughter (who committed suicide well over a year after the conception).

I'm afraid I've no idea how common is the use of morning after pills or D&C following a rape, though I can't remember seeing any mention of these in news reports or dramas. Is it a common thing in the US?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I thought you were referring to the hypothetical rape of the policeperson's daughter (who committed suicide well over a year after the conception).

I'm afraid I've no idea how common is the use of morning after pills or D&C following a rape, though I can't remember seeing any mention of these in news reports or dramas. Is it a common thing in the US?

No apology necessary, jsmith, writing in a tizzy as I do, and reading posts isn't always most conducive to communication. I have been on the last episode all afternoon, I really can't watch more than a few minutes at a time. Tough stuff.

I only know what I see on the police procedurals like L&O:SVU, which sometimes feature this subject a wee bit too much. If the crime is same day, I think the morning after pill works (not a doctor, though), but in a case like Nevison's daughter, medical intervention would probably be necessary.

I've noticed (and read on different sites) that everyone seems to heal very quickly! The daughter is remarkably resilient, and both Catherine and Tommy have done fairly well with their injuries.

Well, needs must, I have to finish the episode this evening, I can't take the suspense anymore - even though I did read ahead.:D

Excellent show. Wish we had Line of Duty here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Lancahsire has made the shortlist for best dramatic performance at the National Television Awards (voting open).

She's up against Benedict Cumberbatch, Sheridan Smith and Dame Maggie Smith, for their roles in Sherlock, Cilla, and Downton Abbey.

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .............I only know what I see on the police procedurals like L&O:SVU, which sometimes feature this subject a wee bit too much. If the crime is same day, I think the morning after pill works (not a doctor, though), but in a case like Nevison's daughter, medical intervention would probably be necessary. ..................

I used to be a fan of L&O:SVU, until it featured one character far too much, and turned into the Olivia Benson Show. Also, over here the channels just seemed to run the same episodes over and over.

However, I don't recall the morning after pill being mentioned much; generally, the victim was quickly assured that they weren't pregnant. Though I think that at least two episodes had the victim pregnant, and ended up with the rapist claiming rights over the child.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I understood her to say she wasn't pregnant - did I hear correctly?

I agree that it's one of the best shows of 2014 - I'd still have to give that to True Detective - but hands down, Sarah Lancashire is the best female telly actor of 2014. However, sad to say, I call bollocks on she and her sister letting Ryan come home alone. No way, no how, not never.

You have to try and see it from a UK perspective. Most UK villages and small towns are all very tightly packed and there is usually someone familiar to most people around. It isn't unacceptable to allow children of a certain age to walk home by themselves, schools generally are very close to the children's homes. I do see why you might feel uncomfortable about seeing Ryan come home alone given the circumstances, but Catherine had no inkling of Royce's whereabouts and there is no logical reason for her to assume he was in her neighbourhood. I think Happy Valley portrays human weaknesses perfectly because when we're under pressure our rationale flies out of the window and reasoning and logic become something alien to us. Sally Wainwright's writing explores this side of human vulnerability perfectly.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just like to add, that I was born, raised and still live in the area that Happy Valley was filmed and set in.

I walked home alone from Primary School myself 16 years ago, my younger brothers were doing the same 7 years ago, friends of the family are walking alone now even to this day.

As wizzywick says, it is not uncommon at all, especially in rural / sub-urban areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked home from the age of seven :)

Just giving this a little bump. I think she really deserves to win though I doubt she will :(
    Sarah Lancahsire has made the shortlist for best dramatic performance at the National Television Awards (voting open).

She's up against Benedict Cumberbatch, Sheridan Smith and Dame Maggie Smith, for their roles in Sherlock, Cilla, and Downton Abbey.

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/home
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pleased to see that the show is in the running for three Royal Television Society awards.

It will vie for best drama series with BBC Two's Peaky Blinders and Line of Duty.
    Sarah Lancashire is up for best actress.
    Its writer, Sally Wainwright, competes in the best drama writing category.

Unfortunately I'm not a member of the RTS so can't vote. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I was pleased to see that the show is in the running for three Royal Television Society awards.

It will vie for best drama series with BBC Two's Peaky Blinders and Line of Duty.
    Sarah Lancashire is up for best actress.
    Its writer, Sally Wainwright, competes in the best drama writing category.

Unfortunately I'm not a member of the RTS so can't vote. :(

It's also up for three Broadcasting Press Guild awards - same categories :) The ensuing BAFTA TV nominations are inevitable ;-) :)

The series is still being written - hopefully it will air this year! I'm really hoping it does a better job with series two than Broadchurch did.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a631501/sally-wainwright-on-happy-valley-im-feeling-pressure-with-series-2.html#~p5pnqZgbaoIRFS
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, we across the pond are JUST getting this show, and I have lots of questions. Sarah Lancashire is beyond excellent, and the story is both gripping and mesmerizing. At the same time, it is VERY hard to watch, which I am doing in small increments. All the same, some parts are so glaringly unbelievable that I have to ask:

---Do cops really not carry guns in the UK, even after all this time? Even more glaring in Episode 4, I don't understand this.
    ---Why do cops travel alone, instead of in pairs?
    ---Why would Catherine would go down into a cellar, alone, with no backup, no call in for backup, no gun, and THEN, when she finds the kidnapped girl, NOT get her out of there immediately, rather than stopping to take off the tape IN ......... THE ............ CELLAR?
    ---Why didn't the kidnapped girl bash Royce's skull in with the barbell, wouldn't you have? It would have been justifiable homicide.

This episode reminds me of the finale of True Detective, which was astonishingly incredible and insulting.

I am finding the end of Episode 4 as badly written - should I be suspending my disbelief to accept that cops are dumb? I didn't get the impression thus-far that Catherine was dumb, just emotionally overwrought.

Oh, and I read ahead to the finale, and I'm not happy with the outcome. I wanted Royce dead.

Guess that's it, thanks. I'm surprised at the love for this show, albeit Lancashire is outstanding.

No, our police are unarmed. But there are constant calls from some areas of the public to arm them in certain situations.

I remember when that episode was aired in Britain. I think that the female plice officer (Sarah l.) was doing a bit of personal freelance investigating when she went to visit Royce's mother for the second time. She ahd her own agenda in finding him.

On DS that night everybody was totally blown, gobsmacked, shaking, exhausated. You'll find the comments in past pages on here. I remember I was scared stiff.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so late to the party and yes it was good, but why do people rave about it so much?!

In response to a post I just read, I'm extremely glad most police officers in the UK don't carry guns.