Options

Saudis set to destroy Mohamed's birthplace, for new palace & shops

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
I just read this & can't get my head around it :o:confused:

Mecca under threat: Outrage at plan to destroy the ‘birthplace’ of the Prophet Mohamed and replace it with a new palace and luxury malls
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/mecca-under-threat-outrage-at-plan-to-destroy-the-birthplace-of-the-prophet-mohamed-and-replace-it-with-a-new-palace-and-luxury-malls-9857098.html

The site in Mecca where the Prophet Mohamed is said to have been born is about to be “buried under marble” and replaced by a huge royal palace. The work is part of a multibillion-pound construction project in the holy city which has already resulted in the destruction of hundreds of historic monuments.

Comments

• Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I just read this & can't get my head around it :o:confused:

Mecca under threat: Outrage at plan to destroy the ‘birthplace’ of the Prophet Mohamed and replace it with a new palace and luxury malls
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/mecca-under-threat-outrage-at-plan-to-destroy-the-birthplace-of-the-prophet-mohamed-and-replace-it-with-a-new-palace-and-luxury-malls-9857098.html

The site in Mecca where the Prophet Mohamed is said to have been born is about to be “buried under marble” and replaced by a huge royal palace. The work is part of a multibillion-pound construction project in the holy city which has already resulted in the destruction of hundreds of historic monuments.

Not surprised at all.
    Saudi Arabia has destroyed many historical sites and everyone wonders where ISIS gets their ideas.
    As my nan has always said that it is the West that cares about our past, and it is us (meaning Muslims today) that reject it for a future of ignorance. She is right, the British museum probably has more Muslim artefacts and history than any museum in SA.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Not surprised at all.
    Saudi Arabia has destroyed many historical sites and everyone wonders where ISIS gets their ideas.
    As my nan has always said that it is the West that cares about our past, and it is us (meaning Muslims today) that reject it for a future of ignorance. She is right, the British museum probably has more Muslim artefacts and history than any museum in SA.

Read that three times now, and it still makes no sense. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »

It makes perfect sense to me. Which bit are you having a problem with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not surprised at all.

I have to admit, I'm just utterly gobsmacked at the lack of respect & interest in their own history. All those historic buildings & artifacts bulldozed...for what?
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That clock tower sure is something.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit, I'm just utterly gobsmacked at the lack of respect & interest in their own history. All those historic buildings & artifacts bulldozed...for what?
    They like shiny new things.
    Not surprised at all.
    Ideas about destroying Muslim historical sites?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes perfect sense to me. Which bit are you having a problem with?

Rejecting it for 'a future of ignorance.'
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could call it The Prophet Plaza.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    They like shiny new things.

Ideas about destroying Muslim historical sites?

According to the article, it seems to have something to do with Wahabism & 'idolatry'.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Can't see the fuss myself, they just need to add a few words to any site info.

'The site in Mecca where the Prophet Mohamed is said to have been born and now been buried'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rejecting it for 'a future of ignorance.'

Ignorance of their history
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something about Saudis training ISIS historians and his nan working at a museum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't see the fuss myself, they just need to add a few words to any site info.

'The site in Mecca where the Prophet Mohamed is said to have been born and now been buried'.

Oh come on. Whether you believe in it or not, surely the supposed birthplace of the founder of one of the major world religions is a world heritage site. Even just for historical, rather than religious reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignorance of their history

Okay. Read it about five times now, and get it. :). It was a bit ambiguous ( to me anyway.) I couldn't decide if the poster abhorred the idea, or applauded it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something about Saudis training ISIS historians and his nan working at a museum.

Ah thanks. Crystal now. :D
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It made sense to me, it meant the Saudi's aren't respectful of their historic artefacts.

The same goes for the Taliban, I remember them destroying a lot of beautiful ancient Buddhist Symbols, the evil scumbags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay. Read it about five times now, and get it. :). It was a bit ambiguous ( to me anyway.) I couldn't decide if the poster abhorred the idea, or applauded it.

I got the impression the poster is very much against it. Maybe they can confirm that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression the poster is very much against it. Maybe they can confirm that.

Yes, I think you are right.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the article, it seems to have something to do with Wahabism & 'idolatry'.
    Yeah they love that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come on. Whether you believe in it or not, surely the supposed birthplace of the founder of one of the major world religions is a world heritage site. Even just for historical, rather than religious reasons.

I agree it is wrong, much like when I was in Egypt and saw the disregard they had for ancient sites and the vandalism that's gone on over the years - once it's gone it's gone.

Still, like when I criticise other countries for whatever I'm often told to keep out of their affairs, it's their country their rules etc so I'll leave them to get on with it in Saudi.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes and it was extremely well put.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree it is wrong, much like when I was in Egypt and saw the disregard they had for ancient sites and the vandalism that's gone on over the years - once it's gone it's gone.

Still, like when I criticise other countries for whatever I'm often told to keep out of their affairs, it's their country their rules etc so I'll leave them to get on with it in Saudi.

Good point about Egypt. I shudder to think what the outcome would be should Wahabism take ascendancy there.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    They could call it The Prophet Plaza.

The Mo Mall.

They could have the Aisha Shisha bar, where men could enjoy themselves.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Good point about Egypt. I shudder to think what the outcome would be should Wahabism take ascendancy there.

It's one reason why I am more than happy that the military is back in control.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are all the riots and murders around the world about this?

Oh sorry - I was thinking about a few harmless cartoons...