New discoveries

13»

Comments

• Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Hope they don't discontinue them. They're only at the bigger stores, too, I think.

It really grinds my gears when they discontinue something that hasn't been fully available in the first place, on the basis that it didn't sell well enough.

Waitrose used to do a delicious 1 litre flavoured milk, one was vanilla and the other Colombian coffee. You couldn't get it in the smaller stores. I'd only just introduced my neighbours to it when it was pulled. They replaced it with the bog standard chocolate, strawberry and banana - just like everywhere else. Sometimes that flavoured milk was a major reason for me doing my shop at Waitrose rather than Tesco or Sainsburys.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If you peel and slice ginger and spread it out on a baking tray and freeze it like that, you can just bag it up for the freezer and use slices as an when you need them for cooking. The slices don't stick together, either. There is always a bag of that in my freezer and bags of whole chillies, because they slice straight from frozen. Lemon grass stalks are good to freeze, too, a quick bash when they come out of the freezer and chuck them in the pan. Easy peasy.

I reckon garlic could be sliced up and frozen like I do with ginger, but garlic never gets the chance to go off in my house. :D

As for recent discoveries, I am very taken with Sainbury's own brand cartons of tomatoes with added olives. I only got one because I thought it would be useful for a quick add in when I was making a sauce but it is lovely as it is with spaghetti.
    Good tips! I'll especially look out for the olive sauce.
    It really grinds my gears when they discontinue something that hasn't been fully available in the first place, on the basis that it didn't sell well enough.

Waitrose used to do a delicious 1 litre flavoured milk, one was vanilla and the other Colombian coffee. You couldn't get it in the smaller stores. I'd only just introduced my neighbours to it when it was pulled. They replaced it with the bog standard chocolate, strawberry and banana - just like everywhere else. Sometimes that flavoured milk was a major reason for me doing my shop at Waitrose rather than Tesco or Sainsburys.
    Yes, that is really annoying. I know they can't stock everywhere with the same amount of everything but that seems to happen to things I like all too often. Like that last M&S vegetarian sausages I liked. A shop assistant in our nearest large store refused to acknowledge they'd ever existed.

• Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently discovered Spirulina and Chorella.
    This comes in powder or tablet form. I brought the powder.

Spirulina and Chorella has high levels of chlorophyll which is good for hemoglobin levels and red blood cells.
    Spirulina and Chorella are present in other supplements I take, but in the dosage I use with them separately make the difference.

I would strongly recommend this product if you feel constantly fatigued or want something natural to boost your workouts.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    I recently discovered Spirulina and Chorella.
    This comes in powder or tablet form. I brought the powder.

Spirulina and Chorella has high levels of chlorophyll which is good for hemoglobin levels and red blood cells.
    Spirulina and Chorella are present in other supplements I take, but in the dosage I use with them separately make the difference.

I would strongly recommend this product if you feel constantly fatigued or want something natural to boost your workouts.
    My partner is undergoing treatment for cancer and it seems to help with that (the effects of the treatment) so we're going to check with the nurse and see if it's OK to take it.

So thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently taking two supplements to elevate my mood.

The first is Rhodiola Rosea. Some may know it under the name Golden Root. It relieves anxiety and stress (this I can attest to) as well as promoting mental and physical well being.

The other supplement is Taurine.

I read a review where the reviewer said he'd used benzodiazepines and other anti-depressants. But due to their side effects felt taurine was much better at relieving his anxiety.

Anyone taking taurine will notice the quality of their sleep has improved. If the reader is a daydreamer, they will find themselves in this state more often. I would caution against taking too much at first and it's probably best to start with, under the recommended dosage as you may feel a tightening between your shoulders blades. Myself and another both experienced this.
    This is due in part to taurine affecting the central nervous system. Our bodies naturally produce taurine, too.

If I were to compare the two supplements I would say Rhodiola Rosea is guaranteed to work within a couple of hours of taking it. The effects are noticeable. So there won't be any doubts as to it's effectiveness.
    With taurine it took me nearly 36 hours to first notice the effects. But with subsequent usage it hasn't taken quite so long. Although I must admit to taking taurine for it's surreal effect.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Galvanina Sicilian Ruby Orange Organic Sparkling Fruit Drink

99p store sells this.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    If you peel and slice ginger and spread it out on a baking tray and freeze it like that, you can just bag it up for the freezer and use slices as an when you need them for cooking. The slices don't stick together, either. There is always a bag of that in my freezer and bags of whole chillies, because they slice straight from frozen. Lemon grass stalks are good to freeze, too, a quick bash when they come out of the freezer and chuck them in the pan. Easy peasy.

I reckon garlic could be sliced up and frozen like I do with ginger, but garlic never gets the chance to go off in my house. :D

As for recent discoveries, I am very taken with Sainbury's own brand cartons of tomatoes with added olives. I only got one because I thought it would be useful for a quick add in when I was making a sauce but it is lovely as it is with spaghetti.

So is Sainsbury's butternut squash soup.
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a burger in a pub with chorizo rarebit on top - it was wonderful.