Madonna - Ghosttown, chart position ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think it's one of her stronger songs of recent years, namely because it seems heartfelt. Madonna doesn't need another hit, she has nothing to prove. However i think the way the charts are compiled now is massively slanted toward younger acts and audiences and that's a shame.
    I wonder if we will ever see another Cher " I believe" moment ?
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    Adam Lambert Ghost town will hit Number 1

Extremely unlikely given that he's released a few albums with different sounds and despite a lot of hype and a small group of dedicated fans, his songs have never done all that well on the charts.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her best album in years. In fact, it's one of her best in my opinion. A lot of people were criticising the launch of Tidal, but this is exactly one of the reasons why all these artists have joined together to do it. People are listening to music in so many different ways now and streaming plays a huge part. The majority of the music that gets into the charts is by young artists, and that's because that's all that the big main commercial stations play...and these stations have a huge influence over the charts. Jay Z and Beyoncé aren't stupid, and I do wonder if maybe Beyoncé sees the way that artists like Madonna and Mariah are struggling these days and doesn't want to end up in the same position as them in another 15 or so years time (she's 31 now). I'm not trying to sugar coat it as obviously all the partners of Tidal are making money, but it encourages the promotion of streaming etc which in my opinion is a good thing and takes the focus of radio. Beyoncé spoke in her documentary a few years ago (when she was recording the 4 album) about how there's too much focus on radio and how she wants to be able to make the music she wants to make, and not have to release stuff because it's "radio friendly".
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her best album in years. In fact, it's one of her best in my opinion. A lot of people were criticising the launch of Tidal, but this is exactly one of the reasons why all these artists have joined together to do it. People are listening to music in so many different ways now and streaming plays a huge part. The majority of the music that gets into the charts is by young artists, and that's because that's all that the big main commercial stations play...and these stations have a huge influence over the charts. Jay Z and Beyoncé aren't stupid, and I do wonder if maybe Beyoncé sees the way that artists like Madonna and Mariah are struggling these days and doesn't want to end up in the same position as them in another 15 or so years time (she's 31 now). I'm not trying to sugar coat it as obviously all the partners of Tidal are making money, but it encourages the promotion of streaming etc which in my opinion is a good thing and takes the focus of radio. Beyoncé spoke in her documentary a few years ago (when she was recording the 4 album) about how there's too much focus on radio and how she wants to be able to make the music she wants to make, and not have to release stuff because it's "radio friendly".

I don't think Radio has been the problem as we always had Radio and it encouraged sales. In fact Madonna benefitted for years being under Warner who were one of the big 5 record companies who basically held Radio stations to ransom for airplay by withholding artists appearing on radio and TV channels. Anyone around in the 80's - 90's who didn't like Madonna would have complained that she was never off the Radio. For 30 years Madonna had instant A- listing on Radio 1.
    Free streaming and sites like You Tube as well as P2P sharing has impacted the most. For some reason a lot of people think music should be free and get aggrieved at the thought that an artist should be paid.
    I think all Streaming sites should be subscription based as no one should be able to just listen for free unless and artist has specifically given the track away for nothing.
    As for Tidal I did find it interesting how both media and people immediately choose to highlight and again negatively put Madonna in the spotlight about it. Especially the media who in nearly every report highlighted about her wealthof 800 million.
    Yep she has amassed over 800 million and she has worked for every penny. And I am quite sure she will make millions more during her next tour.bthat will upset and aggrieve them even more.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghosttown is a great track but the industry has changed. I'm not bothered about where her singles now chart. I'm just glad she still gives us new music. Rebel Heart is one of my favourite Madonna albums and the fact the singles haven't been as successful as they could have been won't change that.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The industry has changed so much in the last 5 years, she could release another 'Hung Up' and it wouldn't a massive hit. It's a shame, but it's the age we live in.

It's partly due to the whole ageism issue, and partly to do with the fact her fanbase just don't download singles (me included). Those two reasons are why we will probabbly never seen a women over about 35 have a #1 ever again! :p

I think the saddest part is that in years to come the newer generation will just see her hits stop at Celebration.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    What you're saying is that because crap music is getting to number 1, then Madonna should be a shoe in because her current music is just as bad. She's in her late 50s and completely irrelevant to the teens that buy singles; she's excluded from getting hits due to name alone, therefore she needs better material. It really isn't rocket science.

No. the point is, her music is much better than this. Are you honestly telling me Ghosttown is not a good song? If not, tell me what is an example of current top 40 stuff that u think is good.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the lack of success this song has had given the fact it's constantly played on Radio 2. You only have to check the album charts thesedays and you'll see artists that get played a lot on Radio 2 are the ones that hang around the charts longer getting steady sales - Paloma Faith being an easy example.

As for the song itself it's decent - with a catchy chorus. It doesn't stand out that much from the average radio 2 playlist and it's certainly no Frozen, but with the constant rotation I expected the album to gain momentum, but it actually fallen out the top 40 after just six weeks. Maybe people just don't trust Madonna albums anymore?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the lack of success this song has had given the fact it's constantly played on Radio 2. You only have to check the album charts thesedays and you'll see artists that get played a lot on Radio 2 are the ones that hang around the charts longer getting steady sales - Paloma Faith being an easy example.

As for the song itself it's decent - with a catchy chorus. It doesn't stand out that much from the average radio 2 playlist and it's certainly no Frozen, but with the constant rotation I expected the album to gain momentum, but it actually fallen out the top 40 after just six weeks. Maybe people just don't trust Madonna albums anymore?

The fans will...but to the casual listener Madonna hasn't done anything of interest in years, her new album is okay but doesn't do anything new or different, and the younger listener will just find Madonna irrelevant, in the years to come though they will probably seek out her music as they get older and their tastes change.

Ghost Town is a good song, but that is all it is...it really isn't anything special or stand out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've noticed a few other songs that are played on Radio 2 a lot but don't become hits. Especially if they are slower songs that aren't played on Top 40 stations that cater to a younger audience. Radio 2 tends to be willing to play new singles by older artists a lot. I've heard new songs by groups like Blondie, Human League, Duran Duran, Boy George/Culture Club on there too and their singles/albums didn't take off because Radio 2 was really the only station that embraced them.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »

I think Ghosttown is a great record. I really don't think the "quality" of a song has much to do with reaching #1. Can you really say every song that reaches #1 is quality.
    I just think having a #1 record isn't what it used to be. Does anyone remember what the #1 record is now from week to week.

I still follow the charts regularly, saying that, not as much as i did ten years ago, but even i cant recall what has been No.1 this year aside from the Mark Ronson single, No.1s nowadays seem to be faceless, and there's none of the excitement or proper battles or anticipation any more.

Because of that, ive stopped caring now, in fact most acts i really like, barely make the singles charts any more, (The ones that are still around i.e Madge, Kylie, Melanie C ect)

Im at the point now, i just enjoy Madonna's music and couldn't give a toss where she enters chart wise, as so many people say on here, charts do not reflect what is / isnt a great track, Ghosttown in my opinion is a beautiful single, i think the video is magnificent and possibly my favourite single of hers since The Confessions On A Dance Floor album. That satisfies me much much more than her having a hit record, Ghosttown is a hit already as its just simply a great song in my opinion.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is a pop star though, she isn't a musician. The whole point of her, like Gaga, Kylie etc is to be in the charts where the pop stuff is, shaping the ephemeral vacuous zeitgeist. She isn't exploring interesting music on the fringes somewhere so if she isn't having hits there's no point to her.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

dearmrman wrote: »
    The fans will...but to the casual listener Madonna hasn't done anything of interest in years, her new album is okay but doesn't do anything new or different, and the younger listener will just find Madonna irrelevant, in the years to come though they will probably seek out her music as they get older and their tastes change.

Ghost Town is a good song, but that is all it is...it really isn't anything special or stand out.
    I've noticed you two back each other up and post more or less the exact same thing in every single Madonna thread on here.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The charts only cater for what young people listen to (when I say young, I mean what people about under 25 are listening to) and this is mostly what radio play...and radio has a huge influence on the charts.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed you two back each other up and post more or less the exact same thing in every single Madonna thread on here.

And your point is?
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep reading people saying things like "the GBP are sheep! Radio dictates what's popular, etc." but wasn't that exactly the case when Madonna was on top of the charts? One could argue Madonna benefited for 25 years over the things that a lot of people in this thread are criticizing the charts and radio for.
  • Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I keep reading people saying things like "the GBP are sheep! Radio dictates what's popular, etc." but wasn't that exactly the case when Madonna was on top of the charts? One could argue Madonna benefited for 25 years over the things that a lot of people in this thread are criticizing the charts and radio for.

Didn't you say Radio was the reason Kylie wasn't having success with her own singles a few weeks back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you say Radio was the reason Kylie wasn't having success with her own singles a few weeks back?
    Yes, what is your point? Both Kylie and Madonna benefited from the things that the people in this thread are criticizing radio and the charts for. That is what I am pointing out now.
  • Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Yes, what is your point? Both Kylie and Madonna benefited from the things that the people in this thread are criticizing radio and the charts. That is what I am pointing out.

I find it odd then that you are now having a go at people who suggested the exact same thing you did that's all. ???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it odd then that you are now having a go at people who suggested the exact same thing you did that's all. ???
    Oh oops. I didn't mean to come across as having a go. It's just something I thought about.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Madonna is a pop star though, she isn't a musician. The whole point of her, like Gaga, Kylie etc is to be in the charts where the pop stuff is, shaping the ephemeral vacuous zeitgeist. She isn't exploring interesting music on the fringes somewhere so if she isn't having hits there's no point to her.

What a statement ! She's still selling tour tickets in their hundreds of thousands regardless of album success and you think there's no point to her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's both a pop star and a songwriter/musician. She is very involved in writing her own songs and it's how she expresses herself. So no being in the charts isn't the only purpose of her. Why does music have to be on the fringes for people to enjoy it or someone to be worthwhile? It actually does take talent to create melodic pop music. Pop music is a genre of music with accessible melodies, not just what is in the current charts.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few other songs that are played on Radio 2 a lot but don't become hits. Especially if they are slower songs that aren't played on Top 40 stations that cater to a younger audience. Radio 2 tends to be willing to play new singles by older artists a lot. I've heard new songs by groups like Blondie, Human League, Duran Duran, Boy George/Culture Club on there too and their singles/albums didn't take off because Radio 2 was really the only station that embraced them.

Generally they sell albums though - or at least prolong the albums lifespan in the charts, as I said Paloma Faith is a good example of a artist whose album hung round the charts for ages and she is very much a radio 2 staple. Also a band I enjoy 'First Aid Kit' album 'Stay Gold' although never charting very high hung round the top 40 for nearly 8 months based on Radio 2 playing their singles. That's why I was surprised with 'Ghosttown' getting so much Radio 2 play (I'm hearing it at least twice a day - during standard working hours) the album hasn't had a boost.

This is the second time you've hinted I'm using duel accounts - with different users each time. And you've also done this with other people as well. If that's what you feel - report me. Your default stance that anyone who have the same opinion (which differs from yours) must be the same person is tedious.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Despite all music channels seemingly snubbing the music video to Ghosttown, it does look like Radio 2 is having some impact. Ghosttown is still hovering around the top 75 which in all fairness is a bloody good result considering no other radio stations are playing it.

Maybe the music video is selling the song to people watching on YouTube. Could well be a small viral success story going on which is helping to keep song afloat.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Despite all music channels seemingly snubbing the music video to Ghosttown, it does look like Radio 2 is having some impact. Ghosttown is still hovering around the top 75 which in all fairness is a bloody good result considering no other radio stations are playing it.

Maybe the music video is selling the song to people watching on YouTube. Could well be a small viral success story going on which is helping to keep song afloat.

Problem is, R2 have just taken it off their playlist. The album is stable however..its at 38.