who remembers "Take the High Road"

Comments

• Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trish was never married in the programme. She had several boyfriends and did live with Paul Lafferty (Simon Weir.)
    First boyfriend was Gordon Sinclair, Morag's nephew.

Second boyfriend - Mark Torrance, who was an animal rights activist and incurred the wrath of Sneddon.

Third boyfriend - Nick Stapleton. However, he had a one night stand with Menna Morgan, which left her pregnant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good_boys wrote: »
    Trish was never married in the programme. She had several boyfriends and did live with Paul Lafferty (Simon Weir.)
    First boyfriend was Gordon Sinclair, Morag's nephew.

Second boyfriend - Mark Torrance, who was an animal rights activist and incurred the wrath of Sneddon.

Third boyfriend - Nick Stapleton. However, he had a one night stand with Menna Morgan, which left her pregnant.

Did she not marry TeeJay?
  • pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've got lots of the episodes on youtube, great to rewatch as used to watch it with my Mum.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOO! I was trying to wipe that from my memory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shazf wrote: »
    Did she not marry TeeJay?

No. It was Carol who married Tee Jay. Mrs Mack started a petition to stop them getting married in the church as Carol was pregnant. I think this was the last time Mrs Mack behaved in such a nasty way.

Tee Jay was killed off in 1995. Upon his release from prison, he took part in a robbery with a former cell mate and was killed as the van they were making their getaway in crashed.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In its day it was great programme - jolly characters, and some interesting storyline.

Latterly, they tried to turn it into 'EastEnders in the Highlands' and it just didn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although most of the episodes have been uploaded onto the STV channel on youtube, they are unable to locate some of them, including Jimmy Blair's death and the aftermath of Elizabeth Cunningham's crash. They also do not have a copy of Take the Highlights available to upload. Might be a silly question, but how could they just lose episodes? Surely other channels who have shown the series, such as Sky Soap or ABC in Australia might have these episodes?
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Ma Barton from Emmerdale will always be Trish to me! :D

I know she's done other things, but that's always the first thing I think of, when I see her in anything else.

Exactement
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember High Road with great fondness :)

Its where I developed my first crush on Joe McFadden :o:D

Anyone remember the character who was called by the name of his croft "Inverdarroch".

Am I right in thinking Alan Cummings used to be in it :confused:
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    loads of clips and the theme tune on youtube.

Loved Mrs Mack and her Macs...

Some of the actors ended up in Emmerdale, and High roads replacement river city
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Mack was a legend. :eek:
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Effie.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I used to watch it. It had a great theme tune. Paul Lafferty was my favourite character. Natalie Robb was in it and she's since gone on to be in Doctors, The Bill, EastEnders and Emmerdale.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,210
    Forum Member
    I liked this though more when Gary Mcdonald was in it I had a huge crush on him even though I was only little. Also I like Sneddon but I think I didn't I've grown to like him cos he reminds me of pantos cos for as long as I can remember he's been in the Pantos I go to.
    Also been funny watching Dominic in Mrs Brown
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Dougal Lachlan, he was a crofter and lived with his mother, Grace.

And the love of his life Big Morag :D

LaineyT
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Used to love Take the high road. One year we went to Scotland on holiday and on the way home I asked my husband to drive to where it was filmed...Ok only a couple 100 miles out of the way but I didnt care. I went into Isabells shop the little post office and cashed that weeks family allowance :D

Inside looked nothing like it did on the telly lol

LaineyT

check on wikipedia for details about the show. For some reason my computer wont let me put the link on here.
  • BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I LOVED High Road:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    Also been funny watching Dominic in Mrs Brown

Indeed it has. He was the other actor who was injured when Jeanette Crankie fell from a bean stalk during a pantomine rehersal for Jack and the Beanstalk.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adored Take the High Road - and it has been great reading all the posts and reminding me of what I'd forgotten. Can it really have started in the 80's? Can't claim to be 28 any more then as I watched the lot ;) How great it would be if ITV3 jettisoned the ghastly 'home to roost' and put it on after Heartbeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I don't know if I am right, but isn't Effie in the children's program Balamorey as a shop keeper.:)
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,210
    Forum Member
    Good_boys wrote: »
    Indeed it has. He was the other actor who was injured when Jeanette Crankie fell from a bean stalk during a pantomine rehersal for Jack and the Beanstalk.

Was it a rehearsal I though it was an actual showing. I was at the one he returned in I miss him in pantos
  • will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shazzy7 wrote: »
    I don't know if I am right, but isn't Effie in the children's program Balamorey as a shop keeper.:)

Yes, "Suzie Sweet" I think :o
  • will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take The High Road began in February 1980 in Scotland and was also shown in England and Wales (I'm not sure about Ireland). It was very wonderful indeed.

I remember Maggie Ferguson, who was the original village gossip - she used to drive the village bus - and Isabel Blair at the village shop, and the Lady Laird, Elizabeth Cunningham...

And a few years into the run Maggie married "Sorry" Watson and moved away and her place as village gossip was taken by Mrs Mack and Mr Murdoch - who used to disapprove of everything...And then there was Dougal Lachlan and his mother Grace and Big Morag...

A lovely series.

"Sugar is energy":D

And Fergus the Postie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    I adored Take the High Road - and it has been great reading all the posts and reminding me of what I'd forgotten. Can it really have started in the 80's? Can't claim to be 28 any more then as I watched the lot ;) How great it would be if ITV3 jettisoned the ghastly 'home to roost' and put it on after Heartbeat.

I've always found it rather strange that the series had not been repeated, either on main ITV channel or their digital channels. Although, they have put up almost the whole series on youtube, some episodes are missing. They claim that they have been unable to find certain episodes. Could this be the reason for no re runs?

Unofrtunately, the missing episodes include Jimmy Blair's death and the aftermath of Elizabeth's fatal car crash.
  • thecowisbackthecowisback Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    i loved the programme - i was a very sad teenager! i spent a lot of time off school ill in my teens so always tried to catch up with it.
    i hated the blairs in the store but my favourites were mrs mack, inverdarroch (who married that evil bitch of a nurse!) and big morag.
    it used to tickle me that they filmed the outside shots in luss and when they showed the sets the crofts were massive inside, and the shop! :D
This discussion has been closed.