Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    On what basis? They aren't going to be drummed out of business due the unique way 5Live is funded ;-)

As much as I like LBC I would be very surprised if LBC ever beat 5Live nationally. It has the potential to make a bit of dent depending on how LBC is promoted but I think this will be relatively small.

LBC has far too much advertising on it, I can't see many 5live listeners changing to it.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Perhaps because all of those are limited in their availability? What of someone who only has access to MW?
    Well, next year Scotland play England in the cricket world cup, the smug BBC types would love it if England lose this game.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Well, next year Scotland play England in the cricket world cup, the smug BBC types would love it if England lose this game.
    Just to show that 5 Live love to put all the nations of the UK down, not just the English... a few years ago the Scotland cricket team were playing a one day match (in Scotland), I forget against whom, but the 5 Live presenter went to the ground for an update on the score and after the reporter gave the score the presenter asked if there was a decent turnout for the match. Upon being told that there was, the presenter expressed surprise saying that he thought the game wasn't that popular in Scotland. To which the reporter replied that he also thought it wasn't that popular but it was probably more that the Scots had finally found a sport to watch where they could sit and legitimately drink all day!

I'm still surprised no-one ever (seemingly) complained about that remark :D
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to show that 5 Live love to put all the nations of the UK down, not just the English... a few years ago the Scotland cricket team were playing a one day match (in Scotland),..............

I remember that but there was slight humor to it,but yes your description is accurate.:)
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a relief that 5live and 5live sports extra are giving the Super Bowl the swerves this year. It is and it always has been over hyped nonsense with little or no appeal to the UK audience.
  • Options
    MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where is the Superbowl commentary then?

5 Live Sports Extra with nothing on - very poor effort.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mall wrote: »

Dunno if it was a rights thing, but it was on Absolute
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think of a sentence to describe the Super Bowl, the word absolute is in there.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »

The BBC simply didn't have the rights to the NFL this season - it was all on Absolute Radio instead.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So an American actor dies using drugs. Should it be headline news over 15 hours on? Perhaps this station has a morbid fixation.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is news, the man was a big star who has died at a fairly young age in tragic circumstances.

Many people will be getting their weekend news today.

Tomorrow or even later today I would expect them not to mention it quite so much.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this station has a morbid fixation.

Sounds like a daily dose of the Derbyshire programme.

More abuse allegations on her show today, which no one can actually prove either way, with one party saying one thing and one saying the other but she highlights and gives prominence to the story anyway.
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Of course it is news, the man was a big star who has died at a fairly young age in tragic circumstances.
    Really? Big star? I'm afraid my reaction was who? Never heard of him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »

Many people will be getting their weekend news today.

Tomorrow or even later today I would expect them not to mention it quite so much.

Big star or little star? Only an actor. There is much more going on in the world. Still it gives Derbyshire more chance to spew out misery and faux empathy. Lotd of emphatic ems to druggies on the radio. WONDERFUL. Come on nationwide LBC - bring it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving airtime to druggies or those from the industry suppossedly trying to stop the use. Put them in a cell without their drugs - that woulf cure them.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Really? Big star? I'm afraid my reaction was who? Never heard of him!
    When I saw the clip of him from the only film I had seen that he was in (The Talented Mr Ripley) it didn't trigger any recognition. But the idle speculation by his "friends" last night as to his life and untimely death was gross and not worthy of broadcast.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to tennis last night. Philip Studd and Russell Fuller frequently fell into the trap of nattering about not a lot rather than describing the action, a frequent grumble about 5 live's tennis coverage.

I note Jonathan Overend was doing the TV commentary though whether this was from London or San Diego I have no idea. If the latter I thought he had given that up because he was fed up with all the travel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neck Nomination
    We the tawdry situation where the national broadcaster is giving airtime to discuss drinking dares. Why give it oxygen? It only promotes the inappropriate behsviour and lawlessness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Does Victoria Derbyshire's show consist of anything other than sexual abuse stories, murder stories or drug abuse stories?

I cant believe people listen to her, its as depressing as it gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe8979 wrote: »
    Does Victoria Derbyshire's show consist of anything other than sexual abuse stories, murder stories or drug abuse stories?

I cant believe people listen to her, its as depressing as it gets.

A radio ombudsperson would have a field day with the tripe broadcasted today between 11-12. Promoting reckless consumption of alcohol. Iz the Five Dead controller on sickness leave currently?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there really a need to play the audio of these people doing something that could kill them ? Irresponsible in the extreme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dementia (again) tomorrow. Thank god Shelagh is on !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Dementia (again) tomorrow. Thank god Shelagh is on !

another presenter with an ongoing obession. Syria
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe8979 wrote: »

There's something even worse that drives me INSANE with that woman. Her incessant tip-tapping on her keyboard whilst she's interviewing someone. You can hear every goddamn key press on DAB.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Yet another science slot ruined by Radio 5 cutting away to some fat useless politician waffling away in Parliament. This could be covered in the news.
This discussion has been closed.