Shortest tenured Companion

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In terms of actual episodes seen, was it that dude they picked up in "Dalek" ?

p.s. I'm not counting almost companions like that Muslim Nurse in the "God Complex" et. al.

p.p.s. I'm terrible with names.

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, Grace was a one-off in the TV Movie with Paul McGann. Other than her, and not counting the dubiously classified one-off companions (like Kylie Minogue) it's probably Adam, yes.

Katarina lasted about 4 episodes back in the 60s and never featured in a full story (appeared at the end of 'the Mythmakers', and died early in the epic 'Dalek's Masterplan'). Again, Grace aside, who appeared in what was technically a pilot, she was probably the shortest lived companion who was intended to be a regular when cast (I think Adam was only ever scheduled to be in the two episodes he was in).
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    In terms of screentime it's Adam.

In terms of number of stories it's Sara Kingdom, with Adam and Katarina tied for second (and Kamelion, too, although while he was only in two stories he was technically part of the TARDIS team for much longer, he was just... potering around in the TARDIS out of everyone's way, or something...)
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gah, I'd forgotten about Grace, had to be her really, thanks Tom. I think she would have made a good companion. Adam annoyed me, glad he went though!
  • rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why Sara Kingdom is counted as a companion? Obviously I've not seen the story she was in but why is she always included when someone like say Duggan in City of Death isn't?
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Technically it can't be grace because we only saw her in one 1 episode doesn't mean she wouldn't of been in more. Plus it was also a feature length movie
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Technically it can't be grace because we only saw her in one 1 episode doesn't mean she wouldn't of been in more. Plus it was also a feature length movie

Eh???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    rettop70 wrote: »
    I've never understood why Sara Kingdom is counted as a companion? Obviously I've not seen the story she was in but why is she always included when someone like say Duggan in City of Death isn't?
    She isn't always included; a lot of people feel the way you do, and it's something there's been a lot of fannish debate about. But because she fills the companion role in the story (and was written to do so, after it was decided Katarina wasn't working out) and sees a lot of different settings, some people consider her a companion.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <double post>:blush:
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As Brendan_Moody said, it's basically due to the length and epic scope of The Daleks' Master Plan. She appears in something like 10 consecutive episodes and spends most of that time as a full-fledged member of the TARDIS crew, travelling with the Doctor and Steven to a number of different locations and time periods. So it ends up feeling as if she has been in more than one story, though she really hasn't. :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a grey area, isn't it. My own take is that if the production team of the time consider a character to be a companion and promote them as such....then they're a companion.

Grace is an interesting one. She was certainly promoted as a companion to Eight in the TVM, yet if it had gone to a series with McGann....well the ending suggests that she wouldn't have continued. Then again, they could have 'Done a Donna' and she'd have returned.

Pretty sure Jean Marsh was promoted as a companion and TDMP was three months worth of television...so another grey area.

Guess it's just down to individual interpretation.

Is River a companion of the Doctor or a recurring character? Indeed, what about the Brigadier, etc. :confused:

No, I'll stick by my first paragraph.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »

But she WAS only in the one episode (albeit a feature length one). By your reasoning, Ace could be the longest serving assistant as we don't know when she left the Doctor.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even though she's only in one story she travels in the TARDIS to a number of places and I think actually spends months travelling with the Doctor and Steven.

Edit
    John Peel's two-book novelisation of Master Plan indicates that some six months elapsed between the seventh and eighth episodes of the serial, during which Sara, Steven and the Doctor travel together and have other adventures; Peel stated that this was in order to allow future writers to develop stories involving Sara. Sara subsequently appears in a short story entitled The Little Drummer Boy by Eddie Robson from the Big Finish book Short Trips: Companions. She is then heard in a trilogy of audio dramas in the Companion Chronicles range of Big Finish Productions. Written by Simon Guerrier, they feature Jean Marsh reprising her role as Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Kingdom
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never understand why there's this continuous debate about Sara Kingdom. IMO, she was a regular on the TARDIS for eight episodes which in today's terms accounts for roughly three quarters of a Series so should be counted as a companion. Adam Mitchell only appeared for two episodes and yet he is officially a companion. So how can he be considered a companion and not Sara, when she appeared for eight weeks?

Plus she was seen in companion flashback in Resurrection Of The Daleks(even though they missed Leela!)

As for your comment on Duggan he fulfilled a supporting role in that story in the same way as Richard Mace done in The Visitation or Dr Todd did in Kinda. I'm not really sure you could classify him as a companion really. Just my opinion, off course.

:)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is River a companion of the Doctor or a recurring character? Indeed, what about the Brigadier, etc. :confused:

The Brig, Capt. Yates and Sgt Benton have all appeared in Big Finish's Companion Chronicles range so presumably that company counts them as companions
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    But she WAS only in the one episode (albeit a feature length one). By your reasoning, Ace could be the longest serving assistant as we don't know when she left the Doctor.
    Big Finish seems to imply they remained together for years after the show ended - long enough for another companion to appear and then leave. Had the show not been cancelled though, she would've left after two more stories - making a total of 11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that the BBC officially counts both Christina de Souza and Adelaide Brooke as companions, so they'd tie (with about 60 minutes each of screentime, compared to Adam and Grace's 90 minutes or so apiece) if you follow the BBC policy. Most fans I know don't count them, however, so it would be a tie between Adam and Grace.

Well, unless you count Charley Pollard, C'rizz, Lucie Miller, Tamsin Drew and Molly O'Sullivan. The Eighth Doctor mentions them in Night of the Doctor but they never appear, so technically they're companions with 0 minutes of screentime ;)

The rules and definitions today for a companion seem to be a lot more elastic than the old series, though they've never been firmly tied down; under today's apparent rules Duggan might actually qualify, since he did travel in the TARDIS (if only once). However, by appearing in one four-part story spanning 100 minutes or so, he'd still have more screentime than Christina, Adelaide, Adam or Grace (if only marginally in the latter two cases).
  • rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Thanks for helping to clear up the debate IMHO at the time hoped Duggan would have joined the TARDIS team as a proper companion over a number of stories
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    The Brig, Capt. Yates and Sgt Benton have all appeared in Big Finish's Companion Chronicles range so presumably that company counts them as companions

Interestingly, so has Sara Kingdom even though her character was long dead at the time :D