Katy Perry attacks Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus

2»

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getty wrote: »
    I've always thought it's a sign of a good artist that if their music is good enough they wouldn't need to add or subtract anything from it.
    Getting on stage in next to nothing or being in a video being sexually suggestive doesn't really add to my listening pleasure,in fact it detracts from it.

To a large extent pop is a multimedia experience, it's perfectly acceptable to combine the visual with the aural. And Gaga like Bowie, Prince, Madonna and many others before her knows how to combine media very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The song is concerned with the public display of the body..
    So she's now writing songs to give her an excuse to strip off (and be objectified further)? Some may call it artistic but it's become tedious imo...and I think that's where Katy Perry is coming from. If you do it all the time it loses it's impact and starts to look desperate. Probably why she felt the need to go even further and go completely naked on stage.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends a lot on the consumer and how they choose to see it. I don't think KP was attacking Gaga or Miley or Rihanna but it does however seem a little hypocritical. She's not averse to being scantily clad and relying on her image to sell music either, which she acknowledges I will grant - but seems a little strange that's all.

Regarding Gaga (just cos i've read things where she's spoken about this, I can't really comment on the others) she said that she feels more comfortable with her body now than before, so I think it stems from that. I don't think she does it to be sexy, I've never gotten that vibe from her. I've never really understood myself why nudity is such a big deal anyway, whoever does it. People are so easily shocked by this, when it's the most natural thing. I don't understand why films depicting strong violence, death and fighting can get away with 12 or 15 certificate, but as soon as there's a sex scene or any type of nudity its automatically at least a 15. Seems strange to me, but each to their own!
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Katy Perry. The girl who rose to fame by singing a coy little song about kissing another girl.

Talk about pots and kettles. She is in no position to take the moral high ground here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regarding Gaga (just cos i've read things where she's spoken about this, I can't really comment on the others) she said that she feels more comfortable with her body now than before, so I think it stems from that. I don't think she does it to be sexy, I've never gotten that vibe from her. I've never really understood myself why nudity is such a big deal anyway, whoever does it. People are so easily shocked by this, when it's the most natural thing. I don't understand why films depicting strong violence, death and fighting can get away with 12 or 15 certificate, but as soon as there's a sex scene or any type of nudity its automatically at least a 15. Seems strange to me, but each to their own!

Absolutely agree. There's a great deal of hypocrisy in all of this. A lot of this sleaze is in the eye of the beholder. And much of the sentiments of the song Gaga were doing sound quite personal.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn fest
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Katy Perry. The girl who rose to fame by singing a coy little song about kissing another girl.

Talk about pots and kettles. She is in no position to take the moral high ground here.

Especially when she is flashing her backside on Breakfast TV

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2479372/Katy-Perry-inadvertently-flashes-pert-derriere-performing-latest-single-breakfast-TV.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Nudity and sleaziness are not mutually exclusive.

You can be completely naked and have no vulgarity, and you can be clothed yet highly sexualised.

It comes down to intent and content.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nudity and sleaziness are not mutually exclusive.

You can be completely naked and have no vulgarity, and you can be clothed yet highly sexualised.

It comes down to intent and content.

I agree with this.

And also, this is pop music. For these people image is just as important than the song itself. It's not a new concept.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree. There's a great deal of hypocrisy in all of this. A lot of this sleaze is in the eye of the beholder. And much of the sentiments of the song Gaga were doing sound quite personal.
    In Gaga's case I wouldn't call it sleazy, as someone else said it doesn't even come across as very sexual (I don't know if she's trying and failing in that regard lol). But with so much sexual imagery around (and the recent publicity/debate about sexist and offensive comments aimed at women on the Net, including musicians), a smarter and better artistic statement would be to do the opposite rather than add to it imo. But I suppose that wouldn't grab the headlines or generate as much publicity. As I say, it doesn't bother me but I do think it's becoming quite tedious and shows a lack of imagination when there are so many other ways of using image and being 'artistic' without being in your underwear all the time :D.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this thread is a master-class in hypocrisy and pretentious musings.:o the gaga fans in particular either try to explain her rationale behind her naked displays or they point out that other singers are just as bad. her fans have in the main defended her stripping off on a stage by asserting its all about context, but the reality is she didn't write music previously that meant she had to strip in order to articulate her "creative vision".

too suggest "it's difficult to see how gaga would present it in any other way" is frankly ludicrous. she can and will present the song without stripping just like she did on the x factor. now call me cynical, but the intent and content is irrelevant when the outcome is the same. miley's intent is abundantly clear in her wrecking ball music video, she is obviously out to shock, but actually so is gaga. strip away the "creative" rationale and you have two pop stars posing nude to sell their music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a great deal of hypocrisy in all of this.

there certainly is. i have seen one gaga fan describe miley's antics as "skanky" and then later defend gaga's nudity by suggesting its all about the intentions and content.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winds me up when people start threads just to promote their website.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is such a hypocrite. She was practically naked in the California Gurls music video.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    this thread is a master-class in hypocrisy and pretentious musings.:o the gaga fans in particular either try to explain her rationale behind her naked displays or they point out that other singers are just as bad. her fans have in the main defended her stripping off on a stage by asserting its all about context, but the reality is she didn't write music previously that meant she had to strip in order to articulate her "creative vision".

too suggest "it's difficult to see how gaga would present it in any other way" is frankly ludicrous. she can and will present the song without stripping just like she did on the x factor. now call me cynical, but the intent and content is irrelevant when the outcome is the same. miley's intent is abundantly clear in her wrecking ball music video, she is obviously out to shock, but actually so is gaga. strip away the "creative" rationale and you have two pop stars posing nude to sell their music.

This thread is a perfect example of why you cannot really debate with certain Gaga fans. To them everything she does is art while to the rest of us its just the same as what Rihanna, Miley etc are all doing.

I do think Katy is being a hypocrite in some aspects as she has always used sexual ''cheeky'' humour to sell herself, however at the same time she has never gone full out on nudity the way others have.

I don't have a problem with any popstar using nudity providing the context of it works with what it is they are doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't have a problem with any popstar using nudity providing the context of it works with what it is they are doing.

Yes, it's all about context and intention. Women are regularly put on display by men in pop videos and it attracts little comment.

Gaga's use of semi-nudity in the performance of 'Do What U Want' is perfectly in context as explained above.

Contrast Gaga with the video for Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' which converted an already shameful song into a blatantly sexist/misogynist display. Reprised and reinforced by Miley Cyrus on the MTV show.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's all about context and intention. Women are regularly put on display by men in pop videos and it attracts little comment.

Gaga's use of semi-nudity in the performance of 'Do What U Want' is perfectly in context as explained above.

Contrast Gaga with the video for Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' which converted an already shameful song into a blatantly sexist/misogynist display. Reprised and reinforced by Miley Cyrus on the MTV show.

True but these comments go beyond just the one performance. Gaga is regularly naked theseday. Look at the V shoot. The naked images she often posts on Twitter etc.

Again I have no issue with it but one set of fans can't claim what their idol is doing it as art while at the same time slagging off another for just being sleazy. The case in point for this is Madonna. Whom Gaga fans in particular regularly called out because of Madonna's Sexual history throughout her career. But now Gaga is doing it 'its art'. I find it hypocritical.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

I think the article is a master-class in hypocrisy tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the article is a master-class in hypocrisy tbh

a master-class, really? most people have concluded here that she is in no position to necessarily judge and she said exactly the same thing herself, if you read the full article from the original source.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    a master-class, really? most people have concluded here that she is in no position to necessarily judge and she said exactly the same thing herself, if you read the full article from the original source.

I did, and I stand by my comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did, and I stand by my comment.

like i said, that seems to be the general consensus here, so its hardly a new revelation for me, but thanks for your contribution anyway.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katy is standing by her previous stance in the initial article, where she said she's not in a position to judge, by further elaborating during her interview with entertainment weekly.

"The thing is, people come to me and ask me, out of default, what I think about all these girls, but at the end of it all I shouldn't be considered the behaviour police, because I'm not always going to be on my best behaviour!"
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that at least, Katy aknowledges that she is in no position to juge, so she is pretty lucid about the imagery she has used in the past.

I get where she is coming from with this comment, with the recent Miley & Gaga thing... It does seem that taking your clothes off has become a bit of a reflex these days.
    Riri's twerking in a thong on a chair (a recent video) was just the same, there was some clothing, but not much, and it was an obvious attempt at getting attention.

I get why people think Katy is not the best suited to criticise such tactics, but I understand her point of view as well.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga is naked so much its no longer shocking though that thing she did at GAY if that had been anyone else the pics would've taken up the entire header and sidebar of the daily mail! And about 50 threads between here and showbiz as well.

Scantily clad wimmins are nothing new in music videos.
    Jlo Kylie Britney Janet Jackson they've all been doing it for yonks. Not to mention the extras in RnB videos.
    The camera men must have a field day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I agree that at least, Katy aknowledges that she is in no position to juge, so she is pretty lucid about the imagery she has used in the past.

I get where she is coming from with this comment, with the recent Miley & Gaga thing... It does seem that taking your clothes off has become a bit of a reflex these days.
    Riri's twerking in a thong on a chair (a recent video) was just the same, there was some clothing, but not much, and it was an obvious attempt at getting attention.

I get why people think Katy is not the best suited to criticise such tactics, but I understand her point of view as well.

yeah, i totally understand that she is in no position to judge and considering her own comments, she seems to appreciation that too. i just find it annoying when people don't see beyond that and totally disregard her opinion by default.

personally, i find it very hypocritical when gaga fans, for example, post katy's latest "wardrobe malfunction" here, presumably to discredit katy's viewpoint, when gaga "suffered" a "wardrobe malfunction" of her own the very same day.:rolleyes: