All4 iPad App HDMI Aspect Ratio issue

DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just started using the All4 iPad app as I'm away from home until the new year with limited internet, so in preparation I've downloaded a few shows to watch from it offline. The iPad is connected to the TV through the Apple lightning-to-HDMI adaptor. The ads before and during the shows play in full widescreen on the TV, with the image on the iPad itself going blank, but when the show actually starts then the image on the iPad reappears and the image on the TV gets surrounded by the dreaded black box :(

This has happened on all the shows I've tried so far, and I can't seem to find any setting to change on the app. Given that the C4 adverts run properly then I'm not sure what the difference is between the app running those and running the show.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions to correct this would be very welcome.

Comments

• ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dxfatass wrote: »
    I've just started using the All4 iPad app as I'm away from home until the new year with limited internet, so in preparation I've downloaded a few shows to watch from it offline. The iPad is connected to the TV through the Apple lightning-to-HDMI adaptor. The ads before and during the shows play in full widescreen on the TV, with the image on the iPad itself going blank, but when the show actually starts then the image on the iPad reappears and the image on the TV gets surrounded by the dreaded black box :(

This has happened on all the shows I've tried so far, and I can't seem to find any setting to change on the app. Given that the C4 adverts run properly then I'm not sure what the difference is between the app running those and running the show.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions to correct this would be very welcome.

Gosh, I'd contact All4 support on this. I wouldn't be surprised an update screwed things up and they haven't checked (very few people use a wired connection to the TV these days).
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Gosh, I'd contact All4 support on this. I wouldn't be surprised an update screwed things up and they haven't checked (very few people use a wired connection to the TV these days).

Thanks for the reply - it's not a big deal obviously, but if there was a fix that I was ignorant of then that would've been good to know. I thought about contacting their support on this, but as I say it's not that important and I'll be back home in less than a week so I can forget about it :p

Perhaps I should look into wireless connections for when I'm travelling; I've just found it quite easy to plug a HDMI cable to whichever TV I'm presented with when I'm away, In fact this is probably the first minor issue I've had connecting my iPad like this.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely contact All4 support. It would take no more effort than contacting Digital Spy support (as in these forums ;O) ), but they may not even realise there is a problem.

A wired connection is an easy option for your situation (where downloads are required), and a good one if you have bad Internet where you are.

A couple of other things to test if you require offline downloads would also be the BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime. Prime also allows offline downloads, and testing their free trial with the HDMI cable output may be worth considering. Those three options will provide a decent amount of TV.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I sent them a quick note this afternoon, lets see what they say.

The other media apps work fine in this regard - I have downloaded content on both BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime that I have been watching just fine, it's only All4 that has been the problem.